d3 charging light?

Reaction score
Well played sir...

Still no discrepancy on that LED between the ports though
It has been seen and confirmed as a light

Dying to find out what that lil bugger does though

Hoping it is the charging light and it just needs to be fixed in an update or whatever

I'm quite curious about it myself. It would be nice if it turns out to be a charging light.

i know i saw this white light glowing during charging but it no longer works

tonydelite

Reaction score
Does it work if you turn the phone off and plug it into a charger? I notice it has a separate charging mode when turned off. I'm too lazy to go check this out myself :)

vfrc46

Reaction score
After having the phone re-boot itself 5 times since getting it Friday, then noticing there wasn't a charge light as on the OD and D2 I was/am beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with the phone. However this thread makes me wonder maybe not since many have noticed the same thing.
I tried what tonydelite suggested and powered off the phone then plugged it in (remaining charge was at 30%). The light flickered very quickly before the screen came back on and showed the battery icon, but the light didn't stay on. And I've not seen it be activated for anything else.

dsimmelink

Reaction score
I JUST received my new D3. I plugged it in to charge, have not turned it on yet. How do I know when it is charged and ready to be turned on? Is it ok to turn on now while charging or should I wait for this first charge to complete to turn it on?

Also, while it is charging, the Moto logo and Dual Core Technology is displayed, then every minute or two the whole thing goes black for a couple seconds then the Moto logo dual core... reappears. Is that normal??

Please anybody who has been thru this please help!!

Thanks!!

neilrl79

Reaction score
I JUST received my new D3. I plugged it in to charge, have not turned it on yet. How do I know when it is charged and ready to be turned on? Is it ok to turn on now while charging or should I wait for this first charge to complete to turn it on?

Also, while it is charging, the Moto logo and Dual Core Technology is displayed, then every minute or two the whole thing goes black for a couple seconds then the Moto logo dual core... reappears. Is that normal??

Please anybody who has been thru this please help!!

Thanks!!
What i would do is turn it on and activate it. go ahead and let it charge till it's full, then un-plug it and use it till it dies then charge it non-stop till it's 100% full. After that use and charge it however you like.

Also there is an app on the maket called LightFlow that is really good and you can set it up to blink while charging in whjatever color you like.

Rocky

Reaction score
I notice that when I let the battery discharge all the way till the phone shuts itself off....
I noticed this too a few days ago. My phone was as dead as can be, plugged it in and "I saw the light". Too bad it was only on that occasion, since I mostly recharge it when it still has juice in it.

b00mb00mchuck said:
... when I plug the usb charger in the light blinks once as if confirming the connection...
This I haven't noticed yet.

Would be nice if it worked like the OG Droid light... I could tell if it was charged from out in the parking lot lookin thru the window... that was really helpfull
Word. It was like a deep, no words-needed connection between machine and human.

Regards

Rocky

Reaction score
Also there is an app on the maket called LightFlow that is really good and you can set it up to blink while charging in whjatever color you like.
Hey, that sounds like a good alternative, though I'd much rather have an app that turns on that particular, seemingly charging light to represent it's getting charged up. I just wouldn't wanna get all my LED color notifications mixed up in that upper little light -- it might go crazy.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards

Last edited:

aces1202

Reaction score
Disregard this

sorry if this has been asked. i tried searching.

so am i blind, or is there no charging light like on previous droids? i really liked when the light would go off , letting me know it was charged

thanks
:greendroid:
When the phone goes dark after non-use, the green light on the front upper right corner will slowly blink.
-----------
Sorry people, I am wrong. I just took out the charging cable and the green light still blinks.
Sorry for the false

Last edited:

TyrantII

Reaction score
Found this for future reference:

letch, tidbits,
The LED is working as designed, but it's an area where MOT has changed the behavior from D1 and D2... I suspected tidbits was asking about that LED but I wanted to make sure before responding.

We've changed the UI paradigm for the white LED located next to the microUSB port since evolving from D1/D2 to D3, and the reason you don't see it lighting up nearly as often is that the LED under discussion is no longer "sign of charge", it's "sign of life".

There are two physical LED's on the phone (not counting the caps-lock and alt-lock LED's on the QWERTY), plus the display / software UI of the phone itself -- all 3 are viable means to convey information to the user. After benchmarking the competition and internally reviewing proposals for streamlining of our UI notification flow and avoid putting multiple behaviors (such as notifications + sign of charge) on the same LED, D3 does the following:

1) Medium used to display notifications: green LED above display (also flashes red when battery is low)
2) Medium used to display sign of charge (what you guys call "charger indicator"): display / software UI
3) Medium used to display sign of life: white LED next to microUSB

Sign of life is something used in very rare circumstances, such as a bone-dead battery, where you do not yet have enough power to light up the display (to show sign of charge through the phone UI) but we want to reassure the user that yes, the phone is alive and charging up. Once the phone gets enough charge to activate the display, you'll see the sign of life LED wink out.

Regards,
Warren @ Moto

symphonia

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that TyrantII. That post is from the Motorola forum, which does get read by people at Motorola who can influence what gets changed/updated on the phone. So, if enough people let Motorola know how lame this change is, it may be possible to get them to fix it. Here is a thread I started a little while ago for that purpose.
https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/5803

TyrantII

Reaction score
Possible, but possibly not if it's a hardware change. I too liked the charging light, but the functionality seems fundamentally changed. Then again, these are always on devices now, are they not?

symphonia

Reaction score
Yes, such a step backward to disable the charging indicator functionality. I am not a software guy, but I find it hard to believe that an LED on/off status could not be controlled by software.

justbob

Reaction score
Yes, such a step backward to disable the charging indicator functionality. I am not a software guy, but I find it hard to believe that an LED on/off status could not be controlled by software.
That all depends on how / where the LED is wired...

mfendley

Reaction score
The LED seems to indicate a charge in progress when the battery voltage is too low to allow the screen to come up. It is an indication that you are getting charge into the battery when you have no other indications.