D2G vibrates every 15 minutes. WHY?

galleria2k

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for your patience. This is my first post in this forum, although I have been a lurker. My phone is not rooted or gingerbreaded or sbf'd or cm'd or anything else like that. I am afraid I would screw something up, which it appears I have done without tinkering with any of the above.

Every 15 minutes, my phone vibrates once & then once again about 30 seconds later. Does anyone know why? This started about 3 days ago.
Five days ago I added 2 apps, one of which may be the culprit. Or not.

First was App2sd. This allowed me to move some apps to SD card without rooting the phone. This seemed like a good idea to me, since I would probably screw up the phone if I tried to root it. Could something I moved to SD be angry & take it out on me by vibrating?

Second was Easy Tether, which I tried & used on Sunday just to see how it worked. It seemed to work great, so after I used it, I turned off the USB setting to allow tethering. This seemed like the likely culprit, since the vibrating started on Monday.

First app came from Android Market. Second came from Amazon App store since I had a $5 credit there. Could either of these, even though not running, be causing this vibrate? I tried to search for previous instances of this problem, but did not find anything. I did, however, spend 2 hours reading & learning about the joys of rooting & freezing the bloat which I may try after I solve this problem.

I have done battery pulls, since I have battery life problems, too. I solved those problems by getting 2 more batteries & changing them out about every 8-10 hours.

Maybe it's neither of these apps, but the timing seems suspect for it to be caused by anything else. If it's not the apps causing it, then maybe my phone is possessed & I need to take it to Verizon for an exorcism.

Thanks for your advice.

OP
G

galleria2k

Reaction score
I may have found the cause. I think it's the Groupon app. I noticed that amongst its permissions with the latest update, is one to control the vibrate hardware. Why it needs that, I don't know. I can see the new Groupon every morning without the need to be buzzed.

I uninstalled the app & the phone has not vibrated in over 3 hours. I am going to re-install the app & see what happens.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I may have found the cause. I think it's the Groupon app. I noticed that amongst its permissions with the latest update, is one to control the vibrate hardware. Why it needs that, I don't know. I can see the new Groupon every morning without the need to be buzzed.

I uninstalled the app & the phone has not vibrated in over 3 hours. I am going to re-install the app & see what happens.

There should be a setting to control that in the app i would hope

end of line...

OP
G

galleria2k

Reaction score
This is some kind of bug in the Groupon app. There are many instances of it on different phones listed in the "review" section of the app description. I emailed the dev & they acknowledged the problem & said they are working on it. In the meantime, I can access my Groupons from the browser.

Glad I found the problem, I was about to throw the phone against the wall if it buzzed me one more time. :laugh::laugh: