D2G random reboots

theboggler

Reaction score
Okay. I know there have been a slew of topics on this, but after searching, I can't seem to find anyone that has an extreme case of this as I do, and I've found no posts that seem to describe any sort of working solution.

I've got a droid 2 global. I'm on my third one. First one worked perfectly, but there was some dust under the screen after a couple of weeks. [under actual screen, not the protector], the second one had a battery life of about 5 hours and rebooted itself every hour or so [even with NO extra apps on it].

This one is better than the second one by a little bit, but It still likes to reset on me at least 10-12 times daily. I've done multiple factory resets both ways [through the menu, and by turning it on while holding 'x' and whatnot]. Uninstalled all apps, and it still does it. I'm already sick of dealing with verizon. I get so much crap when I go in there. "Did you try uninstalling apps? Did you do a factory reset? Did you drop it? Can you replicate it?" "yes, yes, no, no - its random!!!!"
"Well you need to replicate it before we can replace it..." "Oh look, it just reset again"

Just assholes.

Anyways. It likes to happen more often if I'm texting somebody. It will happen pretty often when I'm speaking on the phone too. I'll get a second of static and the phone will just turn off. This is especially annoying, because I am an intern for an auto part company, and being all over site, through the plants and the offices, people get a hold of me by calling my cellphone.

Just wondered if you guys had any more insight into what could be causing this. I'm going to try and just get another one, but It's total bull that I pay for a new phone and have to go through all sorts of refurbished ones [why are they refurbished? Cause someone sent them back because there was a problem with them in the first place!]. Absolutely sick of this.

Sorry for the long post/rant...

tl;dr - Phone resets like crazy, 10-12 times a day. Not third party app. Done factory resets. Verizon's full of assholes. Ideas?

OP
T

theboggler

Reaction score
Also, I'd like to note that if the phone is plugged in, it will NOT reset. During calls or ANYTHING.

mfendley

Reaction score
I'm guessing that the battery can move slightly, causing an intermittent contact and causing the reboot. That is why it happens more when you are texting (increased phone movement) and never happens when plugged in (alternate power supply). I bet if you lay the phone down on a desk without touching the phone, it won't reset. I recommend placing a layer or two of tape between the battery and battery cover. This should add enough to keep constant pressure on the contacts. You may have to add a small bit of tape on the battery on the opposite side of the contacts.

OP
T

theboggler

Reaction score
That's probably not it, actually. It never happens while I'm texting, but it likes to happen right after I receive a text back, regardless of movement of the phone.

And setting the phone down on a table still causes it to reset like a madman.

I set it down during lunch yesterday and watched it reset 6 times in half an hour while I was eating. Not once touching it.

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
I have noticed alot of people are having the same issue. Most if them seem to be newer phones. I have never had this problem but I rooted and was running liberty 1.5 within the first 30 days I got mine. If you want to try and avoid taking it back again you may want to do an sbf on it. Just google sbf for droid 2 global. It is a fairly easy process and will take you to pure out of the box settings. My theory is that verizon gets these phones returned, they do a basic wipe on them then rebox them and call it good. If that does not work you can always root it and put a stable rom on it like heXen, angel or fenom. I know it will void the warranty but at least then you will have a phone that works. And if something happens to it you will have the sbf files to restore it and send it back. This may not be morally right but its equally unjust that you get a refurb in exchange for a brand new phone that did not work.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
T

theboggler

Reaction score
Cool. Process seems simple enough. I'll give it a shot when I get out of work today.

I'd still rather deal with this bull than be an iphone douche anyways ;)

ronsonntag

Reaction score
My Droid randomly reboots, too.

This won't help you other than knowing that the original Droid has the same problem. Seems to happen more when I have it in a car-dock with the power cable plugged in. I also notice that it sometimes acts like I touched the screen if I squeeze the edges too hard (while running). My guess is that for mine, it may be the loose battery suggestion due to the case deforming.

OP
T

theboggler

Reaction score
And you could try cleaning the contacts, too. Take a new pencil eraser [ or any eraser with a new, relatively sharp edge] and just rub at the contacts both on the battery and on the phone.

I remember having to do that with a cd player back in the day [back in the day of cd players? just a few years ago? Oh man... technology] that had gumstick batteries.

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
Let me know how it works out. I see alot of post on this topic and it would be nice if this worked out.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
T

theboggler

Reaction score
The SBF was a no go. :(

I'm going to try again tonight with an older version of the sbf file, but my hopes are low.