D2G on EOL list, will we see GB?

leobg

Reaction score
I was under the impression it was just the blue and white models of the D2G that were being discontinued. Is their evidence other than the leaked VZ memo pointing to the contrary I have overlooked?

Edit: nevermind; I've just learned these are the only two models the D2G has available. F.U. Motorola...

Change the FU to point Verizon, not Motorola. Verizon rejected all submissions from Motorola with the Gingerbread update since we first hear about GB back in April.
Blame Verizon, not Motorola. same about boot loader lock.

Sent from my XT860 using Tapatalk

Asphyx

Reaction score
We should complain less about the lack of GB and more about them not unlocking the bootloader on a phone they want to EOL...

As far as I'm concerned I already have GB on my D2G in fact I'm already an entire version higher than was planned to be released by Moto/VZW 2.3.4 (CM7 @ 2.3.5)

Even if they released it a week ago it would not have helped us get CM7 working any better because CVPCS just this week managed to create a 2ndInit that would work with a GB Kernel.

Getting the bootloader unlocked is better than any OTA release.
If we want to put pressure or complain to Moto/VZW about anything that should be it!
I personally am shocked someone hasn't already reverse engineered the Atrix bootloader to try and figure out how to unlock all the Moto Signed phones yet.

bikedude880

Reaction score
Getting the bootloader unlocked is better than any OTA release.
If we want to put pressure or complain to Moto/VZW about anything that should be it!
I personally am shocked someone hasn't already reverse engineered the Atrix bootloader to try and figure out how to unlock all the Moto Signed phones yet.

Fully agree on this point. Getting an official blurred gingerbread is pointless. We've already shown a high degree of success already without official support and they might EOL the phone.

...and I think I see a project, except isn't the atrix bootloader fastboot enabled?

Sent from my White DROID 2 GLOBAL.

Asphyx

Reaction score
...and I think I see a project, except isn't the atrix bootloader fastboot enabled?

Sent from my White DROID 2 GLOBAL.

It may very well be BD (Oh and I should thank you for helping get 2.3.5 running on my D2G as mentioned above!)
I don't bother reading much about other units other than their specs or until I'm ready to upgrade (Why depress myself that much? LOL)
I just know that somewhere in that sbf that is used is something that is signed and shuts off the signing check so the atrix can be flashed.
I used to work for Moto (Dif Division though) but not for a long time but they are one of the slowest moving companies with upgrades and changes.
If they are still that way then the way they encrypted the Atrix is probably not that different than the way they encrypted ours.
I would even bet the same master key is being used!

So some reverse engineering might be possible, A bit beyond my skill sets to say.

Asphyx

Reaction score
if they release GB for the X why wouldnt it be released for the D2G?

Because the DX is a single radio system phone and is going to have a very similar build of GB compared to all the other single radio system phones and one that would work with GLOBAL fits far fewer models that are out and it sold less because most people don't need global service.

It's a game of numbers when support is involved. The larger numbers are worth spending money on to keep happy.

leobg

Reaction score
Because the DX is a single radio system phone and is going to have a very similar build of GB compared to all the other single radio system phones and one that would work with GLOBAL fits far fewer models that are out and it sold less because most people don't need global service.

It's a game of numbers when support is involved. The larger numbers are worth spending money on to keep happy.

Yeah - but D3 is a dual radio (using same MSM6600 chipset as D2G) and sports GB. I don't think it is a 'development issue'. I'd blame Verizon for this never appearing update, not Motorola. I think they pulled it (D2G GB update) because it would hurt D3 sales. I am starting to seriously doubt GB for D2G will be ever (officially) released.

We need the official GB to make better working CM7 port. It will be essential to get certain services (bluetooth) fully functional.

Asphyx

Reaction score
Yeah - but D3 is a dual radio (using same MSM6600 chipset as D2G) and sports GB. I don't think it is a 'development issue'. I'd blame Verizon for this never appearing update, not Motorola. I think they pulled it (D2G GB update) because it would hurt D3 sales. I am starting to seriously doubt GB for D2G will be ever (officially) released.

We need the official GB to make better working CM7 port. It will be essential to get certain services (bluetooth) fully functional.

D3 is also one of their later models...
And as far as who is to blame the truth is more like Moto Botched the implementation of GB on the D3 and Verizon said no more of your GB implementation until you fix all the issues the D3 had. And from what I understand VZW did not reject the D2G submission it was strictly the D2 version. But I'm going by memory there. P3 knows the whole thing I'm sure it's posted on MDW someplace.

The OTA may or may not help as I pointed out in the other thread.
Not sure LibAudio from Moto is going to help since all the Moto units running CM seem to have issues with BT (only manifested differently on each) so it's likely the BLURing of the audio libs is not very compatible with CM and as a result it is unlikely that the MotoGB version of it is going to solve anything. DX has a MotoGB version and I'm not sure it works well on that unit either!

CVPCS is working on a libaudio that should work accross the board on Moto Units, in fact he seems to be trying to create the master Moto repo for CM that will make it easier for anyone porting a Moto Device to CM in the future.
It may take some tikme but the guys working on it are doing some great work and they will hammer out the bugs probably before Moto ever releases the OTA!

As far as I'm concerned I'll wait for the OTA as long as it takes to include the unlocking bootloader feature because really thats all I really want from them now and for the forseeablt future!
After they do that I don't care if they release iOS for the damn unit I will not care! LOL

crashN2u

Reaction score
D3 is also one of their later models...
And as far as who is to blame the truth is more like Moto Botched the implementation of GB on the D3 and Verizon said no more of your GB implementation until you fix all the issues the D3 had. And from what I understand VZW did not reject the D2G submission it was strictly the D2 version. But I'm going by memory there. P3 knows the whole thing I'm sure it's posted on MDW someplace.

The OTA may or may not help as I pointed out in the other thread.
Not sure LibAudio from Moto is going to help since all the Moto units running CM seem to have issues with BT (only manifested differently on each) so it's likely the BLURing of the audio libs is not very compatible with CM and as a result it is unlikely that the MotoGB version of it is going to solve anything. DX has a MotoGB version and I'm not sure it works well on that unit either!

CVPCS is working on a libaudio that should work accross the board on Moto Units, in fact he seems to be trying to create the master Moto repo for CM that will make it easier for anyone porting a Moto Device to CM in the future.
It may take some tikme but the guys working on it are doing some great work and they will hammer out the bugs probably before Moto ever releases the OTA!

As far as I'm concerned I'll wait for the OTA as long as it takes to include the unlocking bootloader feature because really thats all I really want from them now and for the forseeablt future!
After they do that I don't care if they release iOS for the damn unit I will not care! LOL

I just had my D2 plugged into my computer the other day to troubleshoot. I unplugged it and left the house. I came back to use the computer a couple days later and there was a message from motorola that an update was available for my phone. I just can't find my usb cable. I think my wife put it away. Once I find it, I'm going to try and see if I can get the message again as maybe motorola is offering the upgragde on their own.

captain howdy

Reaction score
I keep hearing people say that the Droid 2 Global has been put on an EOL list. Any one have proof such as a link to the webpage? Or is it all rumors and a bunch of well I heard some one say?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

crashN2u

Reaction score
I keep hearing people say that the Droid 2 Global has been put on an EOL list. Any one have proof such as a link to the webpage? Or is it all rumors and a bunch of well I heard some one say?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

It's the real deal. I just saw it on 2 websites. One had a pic with verizon letterhead, don't remember what site for that one though. Also, Verizon has only the white one listed for sale at 79.99, which means they are clearing out their inventory. Just a few days ago they had both the white and blue.

Verizon reveals end-of-life plans for some phones and announces Motorola DROID 3 is backordered Click on pic to make it bigger.

Last edited:

Ryujin13

Reaction score
I just had my D2 plugged into my computer the other day to troubleshoot. I unplugged it and left the house. I came back to use the computer a couple days later and there was a message from motorola that an update was available for my phone. I just can't find my usb cable. I think my wife put it away. Once I find it, I'm going to try and see if I can get the message again as maybe motorola is offering the upgragde on their own.

could have been an update for the drivers

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Yes, the drivers package got updated to 5.3.0 (maybe 5.2.0) recently, I think.

All firmware updates for this phone come OTA.