D2g battery help

Jdt283

Reaction score
does anyone have any suggestions for me to improve my battery? I literally cant go 10 minutes (ive counted) without my battery going to 90 or maybe 80 percent! i have alot of widgets cause i have folders and a alot of apps (86). i downloaded setcpu but dont know what settings to put them at. any suggestions for setcpu and my battery? im running hexen 1.0.1 on froyo

Last edited:

mr.inter

Reaction score
Make sure that you're giving it a full charge, when the battery level reaches 100% leave it some more time plugged in, such as 30 minutes. This may prevent sudden battery level drops. My SetCPU settings are 300/300 screen off (ondemand). You may lower your display brightness, as display is the major battery hog. Also, when you are on low battery, leave the phone turn off by itself as you may discover that it spends a lot of time on the lowest levels, such as 5% or even 1%. I have an extended battery and my phone nearly stays a whole day at 1% (5% system battery level). The 1% is according to Battery Monitor Widget Pro. Good luck!

ashiyatl

Reaction score
does anyone have any suggestions for me to improve my battery? I literally cant go 10 minutes (ive counted) without my battery going to 90 or maybe 80 percent! i have alot of widgets cause i have folders and a alot of apps (86). i downloaded setcpu but dont know what settings to put them at. any suggestions for setcpu and my battery? im running hexen 1.0.1 on froyo

You ought to check out battery university. Google it. It explains at exhaustive length why it immediately drops among other battery phenomena and myths. It tells you how to charge, why the full charge is actually very harmful to longevity of Li-Ion batteries and much much more. If you know a little physics this is a site you'll love. If you don't, read a little bit about potential differences and then head over, because it is important to understand a little about the difference between voltage and current.

If you don't feel like all of that, the short answer is this: think of your battery as a rubber band. At full charge it's stretched to maximum potential (any more would snap it). This isnt comfortable so the battery tends to lower its potential immediately after it stops charging. Just like stretching a rubber band to the maximum repeatedly will wear it out, so it is with batteries. At Max potential (voltage) or stretch in the case of the rubber band, the battery gets very hot. Most modern chargers are built to only actually allow you to charge to 90% however. So actually your battery isn't what is lying to you, its your battery gauge. Once it hits about 85 it becomes accurate again. You can avoid this by shutting your phone off and then charging it (bump charging) and you'll get almost the full 100. This is hard on the battery's lifetime though so only do it when you need the extra boost for.a long day. Last but not least, charge often and little bits at a time for Max battery lifetime. The website explains why. Hope this helps...

Last edited:
OP
Jdt283

Jdt283

Reaction score
Make sure that you're giving it a full charge, when the battery level reaches 100% leave it some more time plugged in, such as 30 minutes. This may prevent sudden battery level drops. My SetCPU settings are 300/300 screen off (ondemand). You may lower your display brightness, as display is the major battery hog. Also, when you are on low battery, leave the phone turn off by itself as you may discover that it spends a lot of time on the lowest levels, such as 5% or even 1%. I have an extended battery and my phone nearly stays a whole day at 1% (5% system battery level). The 1% is according to Battery Monitor Widget Pro. Good luck!

Ok thanks. Il try those. Do you have anything else on setcpu or is the screen off just it?

mr.inter

Reaction score
Ok thanks. Il try those. Do you have anything else on setcpu or is the screen off just it?

I only have the screen of settings but you can always add other settings according to your preferences/

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I only us the screen off(300/300) setting with the on demand governor, but going to test the smartass governor kernal which is only for GB roms I think. Another thing to consider, is wiping your battery stats when you have 100% full charge. This can help improve accuracy and battery life I believe.

ashiyatl

Reaction score

Do you like but this is wrong wrong wrong you do not give a full charge to a lithium ion battery as a long term solution. The result of doing this over long periods of timeis that it causes ion plating. This is because when you give it a full charge the potential difference between the anode in the cabinet battery bridget the maximum value when it happens the battery gets hot when things get hot chemical reactions occur within the battery that do not otherwise occur. When this happens the anode and cathode are permanetly insulated from opposite charges to a certain extent this reduces the maximum potential the battery can ever have again. This in turn permanently reduces the capacity of the battery.

Don't take my advice if you don't want to but im a biochemistry / physics graduate...I know what I'm talking about lol.

biknut1

Reaction score

If you are rooted read My Battery Life Writeup in the D2G forums here- lots of good info, also tells which apps you might want to freeze. Also consider an extended battery- I love my Gorilla Gadgets battery- Google that if interested. If you aren't rooted, give that some consideration. You can freeze useless apps, use SetCPU (you do, so I assume you are rooted), and install another ROM if you are interested. After rooting, you can do as much or as little as you prefer.

mr.inter

Reaction score
Do you like but this is wrong wrong wrong you do not give a full charge to a lithium ion battery as a long term solution. The result of doing this over long periods of timeis that it causes ion plating. This is because when you give it a full charge the potential difference between the anode in the cabinet battery bridget the maximum value when it happens the battery gets hot when things get hot chemical reactions occur within the battery that do not otherwise occur. When this happens the anode and cathode are permanetly insulated from opposite charges to a certain extent this reduces the maximum potential the battery can ever have again. This in turn permanently reduces the capacity of the battery.

Don't take my advice if you don't want to but im a biochemistry / physics graduate...I know what I'm talking about lol.

Not if your battery gauge lies A LOT to you even after a lot of battery stats wipes.

ashiyatl

Reaction score
Not if your battery gauge lies A LOT to you even after a lot of battery stats wipes.

If what you're saying is true you have to charge the phone while it is off not necessarily give it a full charge as long as the phone is powered on the charging will be controlled by software and/or the charger

ashiyatl

Reaction score
Software control of battery life is built into the phone as a failsafe Against chargers that push too much current through the phone.

mr.inter

Reaction score
If what you're saying is true you have to charge the phone while it is off not necessarily give it a full charge as long as the phone is powered on the charging will be controlled by software and/or the charger

Therefore if I charge it when it's off it should give me an accurate level?

OP
Jdt283

Jdt283

Reaction score
I only us the screen off(300/300) setting with the on demand governor, but going to test the smartass governor kernal which is only for GB roms I think. Another thing to consider, is wiping your battery stats when you have 100% full charge. This can help improve accuracy and battery life I believe.

How do you wipe the battery stats?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
Jdt283

Jdt283

Reaction score
If you are rooted read My Battery Life Writeup in the D2G forums here- lots of good info, also tells which apps you might want to freeze. Also consider an extended battery- I love my Gorilla Gadgets battery- Google that if interested. If you aren't rooted, give that some consideration. You can freeze useless apps, use SetCPU (you do, so I assume you are rooted), and install another ROM if you are interested. After rooting, you can do as much or as little as you prefer.

For the gorilla gadgets battery, does the droid 2 battery work on the droid 2 global?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

ashiyatl

Reaction score
Therefore if I charge it when it's off it should give me an accurate level?

If you're talking about the initial drop of 5 to 10 percent when you take it off the charger this will always happen and it's just a result of the physics I was talking about earlier. Immediately dropping to about 80 percent is actually in fact accurate. the inaccuracy is in it telling you that it was at 100 percent to begin with. To protect the battery from long term damage the chargers don't allow it to charge to 100 percent. By turning the phone off and charging it you can overcome this. With respect to the battery gauge being inaccurate beyond the first 15 or 20 percent, I'm not sure. I don't know enough about linux or the batterystats.bin file to answer your question there.