D2 vs D3

ncvikingx97

Reaction score
I had a droid 3, but ended up trading it in for an iphone. Despite the horrible mistake, i miss my droid, which had mucj. Etter performance. Okay so there are some good used unlocked droid global deals at amazon. My question to you is, is an overclocked droid global comparable to a stock droid 3. How much of a performance difference is there. What is the highest you have ever overclocked it?

Shimmy549

Reaction score
I had a D2G. I never overclocked it, although I planned to. I had the program installed and ready to go, but I had such a hard time trying to keep my battery alive throughout a full workday that I passed on the fun stuff to try and find a fix for that.

I don't know if I had a faulty battery or what, but it's hard for me to recommend that phone because of it. Also, I hope you don't remember anything about the D3's keyboard because the D2's is a step down.

The D2G wasn't a bad phone, but my experience with it was marred by battery life issues.

As a side note: If you're into rooting and ROMing and you do get the D2G, be aware that D2 ROMs are incompatible with it. Don't be like this one fool I know who stupidly installed a version of CM7 that was made for the D2 and got caught in a vicious bootloop...OK, that was me. Don't be like me:)

Sorry I can't answer your actual question, though-lol.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

mikedyk43

Reaction score
I had a droid 3, but ended up trading it in for an iphone. Despite the horrible mistake, i miss my droid, which had mucj. Etter performance. Okay so there are some good used unlocked droid global deals at amazon. My question to you is, is an overclocked droid global comparable to a stock droid 3. How much of a performance difference is there. What is the highest you have ever overclocked it?

If you are unhappy with your iphone, why not take it back a get the D3 again? If they won't let you trade again, you can definetly sell your iphone on ebay for at least, if not more, than a D3 on ebay.

Bottom line is that the D3 is significantly better than the D2 in my opinion and if you are looking to make either your primary phone, I would not suggest getting the inferior of the two.

Reaction score
I used to have a d2g, rooted running apex. It was a great phone. The display was better than the d3's pentile display, the camera button was nice too (without a camera button, you cannot hold your phonelike you would a camera. It gets awkward to take shots sometimes). The problems i had with the d2g is random reboots (much more frequent than with d3), and the lack of a dedicated number row made typing a pain in the ass. It completely ruined any typing rhythm. Also 2 d2gs i had succumbed to the same problem: the digitizer. On both phones, the column between the home and back softkeys stopped working properly. Now i own a d3. I actually like this phone more than the old d2g. Its faster, smoother, and seems of higher quality. The display, though inferior, is much larger, eats less battery, and is more visible in sunlight. The d2g was definitely a nice phone but the d3 is just better. In my opinion anyway. Ultimately its up to you which of devices are better. Either ways, i'm sure you will be happy.

OP
N

ncvikingx97

Reaction score
If you are unhappy with your iphone, why not take it back a get the D3 again? If they won't let you trade again, you can definetly sell your iphone on ebay for at least, if not more, than a D3 on ebay.

Bottom line is that the D3 is significantly better than the D2 in my opinion and if you are looking to make either your primary phone, I would not suggest getting the inferior of the two.

Thanks for the responses guys. Is there a significant browsing difference in the droid 3? What do you mean trade in? After the 15 day warranty? If a phone js unlocked, i can hook it back up to verizon, correct? How can i take my account off of my phone. Hopefully there should be a price drop after the droid 4 comes out.

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
Significantly better phone I don't think we could make that argument about the D4. If you have the ability to skip D3 I would for the D4. D2 is definitely a step backwards to use for two years.

Sent from my DROID3

mikedyk43

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. Is there a significant browsing difference in the droid 3? What do you mean trade in? After the 15 day warranty? If a phone js unlocked, i can hook it back up to verizon, correct? How can i take my account off of my phone. Hopefully there should be a price drop after the droid 4 comes out.

You mentioned that you traded your D3 in for the iphone, I meant trading back. If it is past your warranty window, probably not an option. The change your service to a different phone, either call verizon and talk to a rep or go online to verizonwireless.com and change it yourself. A little heads up, I think if you change from an iphone online, it will want you to select a new data plan (tiered). If you currently have unlimited data, you might want to call in or even go into the verizon store to ensure it stays that way.

OP
N

ncvikingx97

Reaction score
So if i get a droid, id have to get a new plan. I have the 2 gig plan. Couldnt I just switch? Thanks.

mikedyk43

Reaction score
So if i get a droid, id have to get a new plan. I have the 2 gig plan. Couldnt I just switch? Thanks.

Yes you could just switch. I thought you might have been grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan. No worries then.

OP
N

ncvikingx97

Reaction score
Awesome ! Im hoping that i can buy a droid 3 cheaper when the droud 4 came oht.

javipoo

Reaction score
I've never tried over clocking Droid 2. but I will now!
I have a D3, loving it. A bit miffed about D4 coming out, but i'm not worried. The technology will only get better.
in fact I had a realization. I love the size of the droid 2. It's perfect. Don't get me wrong I love my D3. But if you could keep the droid 2 size, which was perfect for my needs, give it a droid 3 keyboard, and 4G. That would be my dream phone.
I'd even be willing to wait 1-2 years for technology to make this possible.
But to answer your question, my girl has Droid 2 no over clock, i have Droid 3 no over clock . Whenever I go to her phone I'm so used to my D3 that i notice around a 2 perhaps 3 second speed difference when launchin an app. Nothing significant.

rustydogg

Reaction score
I just got the Droid 3 from CL for around $150. I also have a Droid 2 which I have flashed to Liberty 3 rom, got all my apps set up and well I'm used to it. The Droid 3 that I got looks new in its box, the girl that sold it to me got the Iphone 4 instead. I have yet to activate it or use it hard but I'm not too impressed. For some reason I think that the display looks better on my D2. I'm hoping that it's just the set up that I have with all the fancy widgets that I have. After all I'm comparing the horrible motoblur to a custom rom with fancy stuff.
Also I like to play a lot of games on my D2. I'm talking about roms like the SNES, Playstation and others. I like the keyboard on my Droid 2 for that purpose the A, W, S, Z keys align good on my Droid 2 to be used as directional keys. The Droid 3 keyboard key alignment is kind of like the Droid 1 keys and not good for gaming. The keyboard looks good otherwise.
I'm not quite sure if I will make full use of the capabilities of the Droid 3. Even though I'm a mobile gamer I play old school games that the Droid 2 has no problems handling even the PSX ones. In my case I'm not quite sure if the dual cores are that much of a jump in performance over my Droid 2, at least in my particular case. What I like about the Droid 3 is the bigger display and perhaps the dual cameras.
Another despoilment for me its the few custom roms available for the Droid 3, kind of like the Droid 2. I was late to the Droid 1 craze so for me the epitome of rom flashing was the Droid 2 running the liberty 2.0 rom. That rom had a good number of themes. The new gingerbread roms coming out are a bit lacking. It's almost like you have to trade off some stuff for something else depending on the rom. I don't blame the devs, Motorola has made it hard and their motoblur is just horrible.
Another thing holding me back is that I can sell this Droid 3 for a good profit. With the money that i paid for it plus the profit I could probably buy something else or even the Droid 4 that I had no idea that it was coming out until I read this thread.

Last edited:

Shimmy549

Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of the D3's Pentile display, either. That's not to say I think everything looks terrible on it, but some things don't look so great. I actually don't mind the way most webpages look, but some of the images I have in my Gallery look sort of crappy. This is especially true when I use SuperDim to keep my display from devouring the battery. With the brightness cranked up a bit, things look sharper.

Sadly, I do prefer the display on the D2G. When I mess with it now, though, it seems way too small. I prefer the way the D3 fits in my hand, but-yeah, its display is not my favorite feature.

I can see how the "D-Pad" on the D3 keyboard wouldn't really suit your needs. I've yet to play any of my NES/SNES games on my D3, but I used to play them on my D2G. You could probably get used to it, but I see what you're talking about. For someone who bangs out lots of emails, the dedicated number row comes in handy. For a gamer, it probably wouldn't.

As far as I can tell, the D4 is still just a mirage. Unfortunately, there are so few Androids with physical keyboards that you're probably better off waiting to see what the thing actually looks like and how the keyboard is laid out.