D2 or DX

bruisecrew7

Reaction score
Hey,

So my phone has been eligible for an upgrade since May and I've looked at the DX many times, but I feel like it is to big where I can't get it into my jeans pockets or that it will come out of my shorts easily.

I already have an iPhone from my office, which is jailbroken, so I'm not really to concerned about rooting the droid.

Obviously one has the bigger screen and one has a keyboard, but I'm still stumped on which one to get.

Its time I get a new phone now cause now my buttons on my current phone (LG Dare) aren't working to well and I've just been procrastinating.

Any opinons on what you guys think is the better phone?

Saraph

Reaction score
It's all personally preference. If you want a larger display with no physical keyboard, go with the X. If you want a physical keyboard and a smaller display go with the 2. I'd say you should go to the store on Thursday and play with them both for a while until you decide.

marcosv

Reaction score
I went with the Droid X. Like a 4" display over a slider (had a series of sliders with Windows Mobile phones and found I rarely used the physical keyboard; I didn't miss the keyboard with the iPhone 3GS). I would have gotten the Samsung Galaxy S if it was out for Verizon, but, that was not meant to be.

The size of the Droid X is fine for me, provided you don't use a thick case, like the Body Glove (which I do think gives the best protection, especially if you put phones in your front pocket). A thin Droid X doesn't feel "big".

I like what the big screens gives in terms of watching video and playing some games. The HDMI connector gives interesting bling on vacation or at friends' homes that have HDTV.

The biggest drawback I can think of about typing on the Droid X is the lack of arrow keys. Makes it hard to quickly select a position between letters to correct typos.

So in short:
1) Want a physical keyboard, get the Droid 2
2) Want a larger display without keyboard, get Droid X or wait for Samsung Fascinate
3) Want a 4" display, but, now 4.3" display, wait for the Samsung Fascinate

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
The biggest drawback I can think of about typing on the Droid X is the lack of arrow keys. Makes it hard to quickly select a position between letters to correct typos.

You should try a different keyboard that has the arrow keys. I think Smart Keyboard has an option to access the keys. Very nice!

But I like Better Keyboard better for a couple reasons...it knows that id should be made into I'd and it has the ability to shut off the list of choices after doing speech to text. Actually can't remember if it has arrow keys...

Anyway, I say buy both, they're pretty cheap. You can play with 'em for 24 hours and return one or both if you like. There's also smart keyboard lite which doesn't have autocorrect but is free.

marcosv

Reaction score
Anyway, I say buy both, they're pretty cheap. You can play with 'em for 24 hours and return one or both if you like. There's also smart keyboard lite which doesn't have autocorrect but is free.

Actually I am. As soon as online ordering goes up, I'm switching to a family plan and ordering the Droid 2. It's for a friend, but, I'll get to decide which one works best for me. :)

Through corporate discount, the penalty for going with a one year contract is just $30 per phone. So I can go buy the Droid Pro or whatever on May 16, 2011. dancedroid

OP
B

bruisecrew7

Reaction score
i guess i'll play with the D2 on thursday and see if i like the d2. hopefully that will make my decision easier.

Lobster Flop

Reaction score
I'm going with the D2. I want a physical keyboard. I have had enough of a touch screen keyboard. Besides the virtual keyboard takes up most of your screen. looking forward to a full screen and a physical keyboard. I'm coming from an Iphone 3GS.

leonozug

Reaction score
I'm definitely waiting for the Droid Pro. Our rooted Droid 1 is really not too different from the X and 2 in my opinion. Rooted users have the wireless tether and can run a gig if they want already like the X and D2. Of course they are better being newer, but not good enough for my preference. Looking forward to the Pro!!

OP
B

bruisecrew7

Reaction score
I decided I'm going to get the D2. I just did a side by side comparison on the motorola website, and everything is almost the same except for the obvious. The D2, gets much better battery life and i don't need to have such a large screen.

Garandhero

Reaction score
I decided I'm going to get the D2. I just did a side by side comparison on the motorola website, and everything is almost the same except for the obvious. The D2, gets much better battery life and i don't need to have such a large screen.

Much better battery life.... lol I don't think so boss.

iDr0id

Reaction score
not to mention the x's 8mp hd camera, compared to the droid 2s 5mp.

denlem

Reaction score
Megapixels don't make the camera... the sensor and lens does. A 5 meg camera can take a better pic than an 8 meg camera if it has the better sensor.