D2 Gingerbread known issues

Modred189

Reaction score
The one issue that i am having with gingerbread is that fact that my data looks to constantly be syncing. There is no way for me to get the icon removed. I've tried rebooting however, the icon just comes back within a few minutes. Any one else see this happening?

Yea, it took a long time for mine to end syncing, but eventually it did.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

phlux

Reaction score
Steps to get the new Swype:

1) Make sure you have a root file explorer like Root Explorer.
2) Mount /system as R/W
3) Navigate to /system/app and rename Swype.apk to Swype.apk.bak
4) Navigate to /data/dalvik-cache
5) Rename data@[email protected]@classes.dex to data@[email protected]@classes.dex.bak
6) Rename system@[email protected]@classes.dex to system@[email protected]@classes.dex.bak
7) ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE NOTHING ELSE WITH "SWYPE" LISTED IN THE NAME IN /data/dalvik-cache AND /system/app
8) Install Swype from Swype | Text Input for Screens
9) Have fun Swyping :)

This worked for me. If you have any issues, let me know and I'll see what I can figure out. Do not touch libSwype.core or your Swype installation will fail.

Modred189

Reaction score
That,sir is a very complicated series of instructions,lol

phlux

Reaction score
That,sir is a very complicated series of instructions,lol

No it isn't. It is very simple: Rename three files and install the Swype beta from the website. What is difficult about that?

If it's the filenames, I didn't name them data@..... that's Swype/Android's doing.

Anyhow, it took me a while to figure it out, but I'm glad I have my Swype back...now on to VVM.......

EDIT: You can rename the files to whatever you want, I just prefer the .bak methods. You could also remove the files completely if you want...

Last edited:

plutonium0587

Reaction score
Only issue I'm really noticing first hand with the GB rom is the lights on touch keys and keyboard like some have mentioned. They will just stop working at some point and I have to reboot to get them back. Other than that I really haven't noticed anything else significant.

tt8698

Reaction score
so i let my phone go overnight, the syncing icon is still there. Is there any way for me to really check what might be syncing? i've never seen this before.

prtsmgr

Reaction score
I uninstalled swype with titanium backup and then installed the beta. No problems that I know of yet

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

cuzlion

Reaction score
synching

Are you sure it is really syncing and that is not just the new icon for corporate sync email notifications? Also I have had an issue with Folder Organizer losing the text labels on its home screen folders. Says "no label' even though if you open the folder link there is a label on it. I also had to manually restore all 100 of my apps using Ti Backup as my Google account would not do it automatically. But that is no big deal. A strange was that one of my chargers stopped working, presumably it was a little off on voltage and kept tripping the message to unplug it from the wall like you get when you unplug your D2, except it would flash over and over, but only on that one old charger.

jmpx55x

Reaction score
My led notification isn't working on gb, I don't know why.

phoenixus

Reaction score
A question for everyone having syncing issues. Did you wipe data/cache before installing gb? If not that is necessary to avoid that issue even though the directions don't say it.

igchy

Reaction score
I'm little worried about updating pre-installed applications.
Noticed that embedded Skype is really old, like 1.0.20 version or something.
There is no link to market for it, and it marked as "installed" on the market.android.com with no "update" or "remove" options available.
I've tried to remove it with titanium backup and nothing changed on market web site.
So, DO NOT remove the skype or any other embedded applications, you will not be able to re-install them from market.
Skype works ok though, but having no option to update it is not good for me.

tt8698

Reaction score
A question for everyone having syncing issues. Did you wipe data/cache before installing gb? If not that is necessary to avoid that issue even though the directions don't say it.

I did wipe cache and factory reset before installing the pre-rooted gingerbread. I knew the directions didn't say it but i knew it was going to be necessary. I do not have a corporate email set up so I know that it is not for that. I just might go try out liberty 2.0 for the sake of trying it out lol.

Moudav730

Reaction score
Droid 2 problems

Besides the swype and backlight thing, I also am having problems with facebook not syncing its contacts into my contact book on the phone itself. anyone know how to fix that?

Inverse

Reaction score
Having issues with backlight on buttons and keyboard. Wonder if a fix will come out, or will have to wait on a newer version of GB.

Sent from GingerBlurred DROID2

phlux

Reaction score
Besides the swype and backlight thing, I also am having problems with facebook not syncing its contacts into my contact book on the phone itself. anyone know how to fix that?

If you look back a few posts, I posted instructions for getting Swype working. I'm using it now.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk