D2 future support

reffjak

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm considering a Droid 2 purchase, but have some reservations as I have read that Verizon plans to discontinue the Droid 2 for the Droid 2 World Edition. My concern is that Motorola/Verizon will abandon support for the Droid 2 model. I am not sure if the two models only differ in the cellular chipset, or if they are entirely different models. If they are only slightly different, maybe future roms, updates, etc for the Droid 2 World would also work with the Droid 2.

Anyone have any info or opinions on this?

Thanks

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
:welcome:

i think ur overthinking this. the droid 2 just came out a couple months ago, so ull be fine. dont know anything about the world edition, but my guess is the only difference would be the network compatibility so yea the chipset.

kechamb

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that verizon would drop all support for the D2 just because the D2 world is coming out. From what I have read the only difference will be the chip set and everything else will be a d2 with no big changes. Personally if I was looking at getting a phone I would still do the D2 over the D2 World because I do not need the international calling part and I am sure it will cost a little more.

Cunha

Reaction score
Yep. Basically zero chance of it making a difference. They will both bear nearly the same phone so, both will be abandoned at the same time.

Like I've been saying, the time to buy a new phone will be in a year when the serious LTE phones come out and LTE is actually worth having. Until LTE is widespread, the DX and D2 will be great phones to have. If you always wait for the next better phone, you will never have one. It will take a long time for LTE to be really everywhere..a lot of places don't even have 3g. So it will be some time after LTE is out till you might feel obligated to upgrade from your non LTE phone.