D1 without data plan?

OP
Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
She has the Samsung reality that requires the $10 data plan. If we could get that removed and a data block put on that would be great. She's only had the phone for about a year.

Just sucks cause I pay the bill and she does not use data ever so its a complete waste. Will Verizon let me remove the data plan? Do I call them or go to a Verizon store?

What happens if u activate a "dumb" phone that doesn't require data plan, then remove the data plan, and then reactivate her feature phone? Will this work?

Thanks for all the help.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That's a multimedia phone so yes, it can be removed as long as a data block is put on the phone. You can go by a store or call *611 or (800) 922-0204 and customer service can do it.
No, the "dumb phone" method will not work.

She has the Samsung reality that requires the $10 data plan. If we could get that removed and a data block put on that would be great. She's only had the phone for about a year.

Just sucks cause I pay the bill and she does not use data ever so its a complete waste. Will Verizon let me remove the data plan? Do I call them or go to a Verizon store?

What happens if u activate a "dumb" phone that doesn't require data plan, then remove the data plan, and then reactivate her feature phone? Will this work?

Thanks for all the help.

Message delivered via a Bolt of lightning

OP
Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
Awesome, So I just request a data block to be put on and to remove the data plan. Ill just call them, since when I asked in the store they said you can't remove it ( I didn't push the issue at the time) and I have to remove the asurion insurance.

What a great day. Will save $16 a month by removing data and insurance and found out my employer gives 22% ( was getting only 15% though my school's email) discount on Verizon plans! Overall I should save about $20-$25 a month!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That's good news! Not all employees know how to do it or they just didn't want to because it would cost VZW money. See why I left??

Awesome, So I just request a data block to be put on and to remove the data plan. Ill just call them, since when I asked in the store they said you can't remove it ( I didn't push the issue at the time) and I have to remove the asurion insurance.

What a great day. Will save $16 a month by removing data and insurance and found out my employer gives 22% ( was getting only 15% though my school's email) discount on Verizon plans! Overall I should save about $20-$25 a month!

SteveHebe

Reaction score
Re: Pageplus-They just bumped the data from 50 to 100mb and it is just perfect for my needs. Just an FYI - I love PP's cost effective plan, but their Cust Service is not always great.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's good news! Not all employees know how to do it or they just didn't want to because it would cost VZW money. See why I left??

DroidDOES - so the National Access block still can be put on a non-smartphone? I know it can on the older phones because my parents phone is blocked, but the new non-smartphones can still have the block too? And, if so did they ever figure out a way that they could have national access block and still allow pix/flix to go through while in network?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The feature is just called Data Block and to my knowledge, MMS still goes through.

DroidDOES - so the National Access block still can be put on a non-smartphone? I know it can on the older phones because my parents phone is blocked, but the new non-smartphones can still have the block too? And, if so did they ever figure out a way that they could have national access block and still allow pix/flix to go through while in network?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Awesome, So I just request a data block to be put on and to remove the data plan.

No The Droid is Not a Multimedia device. It's a smart phone that requires data.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The feature is just called Data Block and to my knowledge, MMS still goes through.

I can't tell you how many times in the call center when I'd take a call about MB usage and then tell them about blocks and how upset they would get when I said if we do the national access block you can't send or receive pix/flix. That was always a good call. :icon_eek:

kingsway8605

Reaction score
I don't feel like going through the 3 pages, but YOU CAN USE THE D1 without a data plan. Swipe the for corners of the android at first startup (google "bypass activation android" if this makes no sense to you).

Tip: put the droid in airplane mode for amazing battery life. Wifi will still work.

EDIT: nevermind, missed the part about wanting phone calls. Not possible as far as I know.
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I know what you mean! I believe there's more than one block but I could be wrong...going by memory.

I can't tell you how many times in the call center when I'd take a call about MB usage and then tell them about blocks and how upset they would get when I said if we do the national access block you can't send or receive pix/flix. That was always a good call. :icon_eek:

OP
Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
Haha helps to read the whole thread.

Thanks again droidDOES, ill be calling them tomorrow so ill update you guys, even though this is no longer an android topic.

True....too bad we were talking about the Reality on his plan....

Awesome, So I just request a data block to be put on and to remove the data plan.

No The Droid is Not a Multimedia device. It's a smart phone that requires data.

OP
Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
Just to let you know it worked. I called *611 and pressed for tech support. Told her I want to put on a data block and remove the $10 data plan. She didn't question it at all and it was much easier than I expected.

For those who are only reading this post, this was to remove data on a feature/multimedia phone not a smart phone.