D1 without data plan?

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
Is there anyway to use the D1 without a data plan and just minutes?

What happens if you have a standard plan and activate the D1 without on your own? Does it not activate or do they automatically add $30 to your plan?

I want to give my D1 to my gf, but she doesn't want nor need data (can use wifi when need be).

I wish verzion would let you. On my first smart phone the vx6800 or something like that didn't require a data plan.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
They wont activate it without the data plan. I asked when I bought mine at launch. Apparently with previous phones when people used a lot of data without a data plan they all called and complained about how high their bill was (over $200). So to combat that, when they introduced the new android line of phones, they made data mandatory since these phones were designed for some serious data usage. It sorta protects us from high monthly bills, and them from several thousands of calls complaining about their bill.

You can use your D1 without a service plan over wifi only. I don't know enough about wifi/internet voip calling to say you could do that without a plan. Hope that helps!

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Yeah. Data is mandatory on smartphones. She's going to have to get data if she wants to use it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

SteveHebe

Reaction score
You might also look into hopping over to PagePlus Cellular. Verizon's network without verizon's prices!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You might also look into hopping over to PagePlus Cellular. Verizon's network without verizon's prices!

Now I've never heard of that one. Link me, please obviously I need to get some education.

Skull One

Reaction score
It can be done. But you need three things to occur to make them listen and do it.

1) Enough years with them. I had 10 at the time.
2) You can properly show the device had been on a plan long enough to make them money beyond the subsidy. My device was.
3) Don't take no for an answer if you meet the first two.

My youngest child is on a LG Env without a data plan. You can check that it "needs" a $15 to activate. Their system is actually setup to not require a data plan. They just don't want people to know about that fact.

OP
Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I've been with Verizon for over 10 years, so I suppose I have some leverage.

We are on a family plan and right now she has one of those stupid feature phones that require a $10 75MB plan. I'd still have data on my line, so I guess I could persuade them.

Is there a way to turn off data so there's no way of using it? Im rooted

OP
Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
I looked up page plus and they offer 1200 min, 2000 text/mms and 100MB data for $30. That would be perfect.

Can you activate any phone with them?

ionide

Reaction score
It can be done. But you need three things to occur to make them listen and do it.

1) Enough years with them. I had 10 at the time.
2) You can properly show the device had been on a plan long enough to make them money beyond the subsidy. My device was.
3) Don't take no for an answer if you meet the first two.

My youngest child is on a LG Env without a data plan. You can check that it "needs" a $15 to activate. Their system is actually setup to not require a data plan. They just don't want people to know about that fact.

You're wrong. The Droid cannot be activated without a data plan. Your phone was a different situation, not a smartphone. It is not possible to have a Droid with no data plan.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
This is in response to the page plus post. Yep you can. They're really a great deal

Skull One

Reaction score
You're wrong. The Droid cannot be activated without a data plan. Your phone was a different situation, not a smartphone. It is not possible to have a Droid with no data plan.

That's interesting, since I know for a fact that they can turn it off.

When this D1 hits two years, I will have them turn the data off when I hand it down to my daughter. At present that means I only have to wait 11 months. Hopefully the forums thread system won't erase or lock this thread so I have a reminder and can post the results.

ionide

Reaction score

When this D1 hits two years, I will have them turn the data off when I hand it down to my daughter. At present that means I only have to wait 11 months. Hopefully the forums thread system won't erase or lock this thread so I have a reminder and can post the results.

Best of luck. Can't be done currently in the system. Maybe they'll change it, probably not, though.

Can I ask how you know for a fact?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
It can be turned off on a multimedia phone with the Block Data feature activated, but not a smartphone. The system (NetACE) automatically populates the Email & Web Smartphone $29.99 feature...even if you Block Data. I worked for VZW (Corporate) for two years and it cannot be done.

Message delivered via a Bolt of lightning

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Looks like someone is in for a surprise when the Droid turns 2 lol.