D1 Touchscreen Failure!

ocdtrekkie

Reaction score
All of a sudden today, the right quarter of my touchscreen no longer recognizes any touch at all! Which also means, that in landscape mode, I can't access the notification bar at all. It's like a centimeter wide strip along the right side of the screen. On the Sketcher app, I actually scribbled around to see where it is, and it's literally just a big strip that can't be hit by any touch at all.

Anyone had this, or have any suggestions? I'm going to the Verizon store Wednesday to make them try sending me another warranty replacement, but given my own experience plus the experiences here... I'm a little scared of that.

This is me scribbling on the screen. You can see on the right side how the strip is entirely white.
deadstrip.png

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
That sounds like a digitizer failure. What you can do is try to get the proximity sensor to reset, but I don't think that'd work. Interested in trying it before the suggestion to call VZW gets made?

OP
O

ocdtrekkie

Reaction score
Um... you need to define that process for me ;) I'm willing to try things if they're not gonna ruin my warranty replacement chances.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Simple. Put your finger across the top of the phone, across the speaker cutout, and leave it there. Now reboot your phone and KEEP YOUR FINGER THERE while the phone boots up. Once it's fully booted you can move it. If nothing changes then it wasn't the prox sensor (which it almost never is).

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Digitizer failure. You need to file an insurance claim/take it back to Verizon so they can replace it. You have a 1-year warranty, provided you aren't rooted (which violates your warranty), against hardware failure.

OP
O

ocdtrekkie

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm stock. I did a warranty replacement once before, and they send me one that wasn't even assembled properly. So we'll see what luck I get. I'm still on warranty until January, so I should be good.

It's just kinda depressing, given the amount of care I've given this thing, I'm meticulous about it.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I almost think the d1 likes a little abuse. ;)

You never know. Depending, you might get an unintentional upgrade with the replacement, too.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
O

ocdtrekkie

Reaction score
Heh, I know about that, but I'm iffy if I'd even want an upgrade. :p

The more onboard space would be awesome, but there's the Motorola skin, and I hear despite the faster processor it barely manages to run as fast as the D1 because of the skin, etc.

But at this point, I don't really have a choice, I gotta take the replacement I get, as long as it actually functions.

groveboy

Reaction score
i have the same problem. A thin strip on the right side doesnt recognize touch and the search button doesnt work also. There are ways of working around it by using the pad.