D1-MIUI User Guide. Please read before posting UI related Questions

hoppermi

Reaction score
D1-MIUI User Guide -updated for 1.2.11.x

This is NOT a bug tracker, that can be found here.Issues - d1-miui - Project Hosting on Google Code

Keep in mind folks, this is a Beta ROM. Bugs exist, and some things haven’t been fixed at this time.

Please download ROM from http://www.droidforums.net/forum/team-d1-miui/124964-new-d1-miui-1-2-11-0-a-new-post.html and follow the installation instructions. Please read the entire OP.

This guide will highlight the differences that the MIUI launcher and apps bring to your experience,and help with settings so your phone works the way you want.

I am not an expert with this or any ROM(or the English language for that matter), but I thought it might be useful to have a guide to save thread posts from redundancy.

NOTIFICATIONS
(1) You can set the color of your general LED notifications in settings/system/LED Settings

(2) Open MMS settings and select LED color

HOME SCREENS
(1) There is no App Drawer. Your apps are on your home screens(seemingly random) to the right of the clock screen. When you download a new app the shortcut will be found furthest to the right

(2) Launcher Dock can be populated up to six shortcuts by drag and drop. No custom shortcuts will drop here, but folders will! (hello app drawer):)

(3) Edit Mode(long press on screen, or select from MENU). This will allow you to customize your home pages.
While in edit mode pressing the MENU button will bring up the add button for custom shortcuts, widgets, folders, and wallpapers.
Widget dropdown and wallpaper options are also accessible via buttons in the upper right and left hand corners of the screen.

(4) Folders are drag and drop(easiest in edit mode) Rename by selecting folder then press pen and paper button in top left. You can also sort your apps by dl order, alphabetically, or frequent use.

(5) Select wallpaper gallery option to pick from downloaded images on your SD card.

(6) Widgets- one of the coolest things about this launcher is the ability to add all of your widgets in one session. Simply drag widget from dropdown menu to desired thumbnail screen, you may have to adjust on screen placement later. Then grab the next one and repeat until you are done, AWESOME.

(7) Adding and removing home screens. You can view your homescreens in thumbnail fashion by tapping twice on the home button or pinching on the screen.
Once here you may add, move(drag and drop),remove(if it is empty)screens. I haven’t heard if there is a limit, but I think I read that someone had 20 or so.
The last screen you were at before entering this mode will be highlighted.
The defaut home screen will have just the home button highlighted. Just tap the little home button on the thumbnail to switch the default.

(8) Deleting Apps. Since there is no app drawer, when you drag a shortcut to the trash can it is going to ask if you would like to uninstall.
You may not uninstall system apps in this manner.

OTHER SETTINGS AND FEATURES
(9) Contacts – You may select custom ringtones for each contact if desired.
Buttons to take a pic and select from sd card are in the lower corners.
Swiping across a contact in the list will give an option to Delete.
In order to use the Favorite Contact widget that is included you need to add favorite contacts by pressing add to favorites button when you open the contact.

(10) Notification Bar - If you hadn’t noticed there is a scrollable toolbar at the bottom of the notification pulldown. It contains all of the power control widget functions plus a few more.
The CPU button, Lit= lowers cpu speed when screen is off to reduce background app power consumption. Unlit = business as usual.

(11) Battery- Settings/Battery/ Battery indicator style gives 3 options for your battery status Graphically,Percentage, Top-Bar. Select your preference.
Power Saving Mode w/ many options for saving battery. When PSM is set to auto, and your battery gets below the selected threshhold, selected functions will not be available.
There is also an option to disable auto PSM.
Low battery alarm is percentage adjustable.

(12) Lock screen - You may change the wallpaper for the lockscreen in the same menu as normal wallpaper, select lockscreen wallpaper gallery to pick image from your SD card.
There are notification counters for Phone calls and Text messages. long pressing on the phone or texting icons will preview the missed calls or texts.
Unlocking with these icons will open directly to those apps.
For now the text notifications are tied to the MIUI MMS app. You must open the messages with that app to clear the notifications. The icon can be directed to handcent or other messaging app but notifications still come from MIUI MMS.(Edit:At least one user is reporting using ChompMMS and has lockscreen notifications working)
New locksreen music controls! Double tap lock icon, or play something and return to lock sreen.

(13) Task Killer - MIUI has a built in task killer. Long pressing on the home button brings up recent apps like normal, but has a button for task killing in the lower left, and a shortcut to App Manager on the lower right.

(14) Return to call button - You can leave the call screen to do other tasks, including browsing the web (WiFi only), during a call.
When you leave the call screen a button appears across the top of your screen that will return to the call screen so you can hang up.

(15) *228 Phone activation, reprogramming can be reached by dialing *228+.

(16) New Settings Menu MIUI completely redid the settings menu, giving you four tabs at the bottom. Each tab has its own menu of settings, browse around to familiarize yourself with where your most used settings are located. You can now access settings for Gmail, MMS, GTalk, Calendar, and Browser, right from the main settings Menu. Just select Programs tab. (Why didn't I think of this.....oh yeah, I'm a building contractor)

(16) Themes MIUI changes the game once again with the addition of built-in themeing. In the settings menu press Personal tab/ Theme Manager or click on the Theme Manager Icon from the launcher. There are a couple preloaded. To add theme, dl, and move to MIUI/Themes on your SD card.
MIUI Theming allows for you to mix and match theme catagories. You select a System Style which will be the base for your personal theme. From there you can add features of other themes you have in your themes folder including, icons, fonts, text style, boot animation and boot audio.

(17) Screenshots Hold down on the menu button and press volume down to take a screenshot. Pics are in the MIUI folder on your SD card.

(18) MIUI Backup MIUI comes with its own backup utility. This allows you to backup and restore both apps and whole system. Its a very simple backup utility. This only works for MIUI roms.

(19) Do Not Disturb mode MIUI now has support for blacklist/whitelist communication filtering. Settings/personal/DNDmode

(20) MMS Font color/ Background editor In MMS settings select themes and you will be presented with a menu that will allow you to change font color and backgrounds for your Conversation and In-Message screens. You may also select from several general MMS Themes.

(21) Personal Password Protection You can password protect Folders, dialer, SMS/MMS, and DNDMode.
Settings/Personal/ Security and Privacy Settings

(22) Visitor Mode Hides your call log and MMS msgs if you are letting someone use your phone or just showing it off. Long press power button, select Visitor Mode.

(23) MMS Favorites Tab Long pressing on a text message pops up a menu where you can forward, add to favorites, copy, get details, or delete. Selecting Favorites will add message to your Favorites Tab.

(24)MIUI Global Search App MIUI has added thier own search app. There is a widget. You can also access it by long pressing home to bring up recent apps and app killer then swipe right, notice the page dots at the top. Odd placement if you ask me, but there it is.

(25) Launcher Settings There are Launcher settings in the personal settings tab.
Keep in memory should always be on, and will prevent redraws.
Hi-res Graphics can be disabled and smooths out the launcher considerably, without any noticeable difference in appearance.
New Transitions settings in Launcher Settings. Check them out here

MMS/SMS Incorrect Timestamp Correction In MMS Settings, Turn off Sort SMS by date (toggle left)

This is all I can think of for now. If there is something other features you would like to see added, or find an error in my post, post below and I will check periodically and update. Thanks

Last edited:

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
nice job dude. You get a banana for that :icon_ banana:

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I found out EXACTLY what is going on with the CPU button in the notifications. I know some others have mentioned this, but there seemed to be some confusion about what it does.

I am using SetCPU. 1.o ghz chevy kernel. I overclock to 800 personally.

If I opened setcpu main screen. I have my main profile set to 800 mhz. If I use the CPU button in the notify bar, when lit...it has no change on my clock speed. When it is unlit, it overclocks my phone to 1000 which is 200 more than my setting.

So...just to let you all know that is what is happening. Unlit...overclocked, lit whatever you normally clock to.

This was also verified in the info screen by looking at the slots...I NEVER increase my setcpu to 1000 mhz (mostly because its unecessary and decreases my phones performance..even though I get higher quadrant scores ..which are crap for determining phone performance btw). By using the cpu notify button alone, my 900 and 1000 slots in setcpu info...start logging time as well as my main screen showing 1000 mhz.

Which brings me to another bit of info. I recently flashed chevy 0.8 ghz lv kernel and LOVE it. Firstly, as stated, I see no benefit to high clock speeds for daily use, so..I dont clock that high. Second, I didnt want my phone to overclock itself to 1000 mhz because of the notify bar....and lastly (main reason)....It has 7 slots. The first slot is 125mhz, so it allows me to lower the minimum in my profiles and save battery even more. Basically it has GREAT slots for my use...so Im happy with it.

OP
hoppermi

hoppermi

Reaction score
So...just to let you all know that is what is happening. Unlit...overclocked, lit whatever you normally clock to.

This was also verified in the info screen by looking at the slots...I NEVER increase my setcpu to 1000 mhz (mostly because its unecessary and decreases my phones performance..even though I get higher quadrant scores ..which are crap for determining phone performance btw). By using the cpu notify button alone, my 900 and 1000 slots in setcpu info...start logging time as well as my main screen showing 1000 mhz.

Confirmed. I'll edit OP

frostthejack

Reaction score
ok atm i have only one question in the mms.apk there are three tabs conversations favorites and recomended what is the recomended tab for.

OP
hoppermi

hoppermi

Reaction score
That's a good question. I haven't found a use for it yet. maybe somebody else knows?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
I've been wondering too. I press it and dont see any changes

joemustang

Reaction score
This rom is simply amazing. i can't beleive all the new features added. I've been wanting the Power Control widget in the notification bar forever and now I have it! right when I thought the Rom world had done all it can do, this came out. I took the plunge today and am never looking back. Will this Rom be available for other Android phones soon? I really want to upgrade my Droid but the D1 seems to get all these goodies first.

OP
hoppermi

hoppermi

Reaction score
Welcome aboard joemustang. MIUI is a ROM for the nexus one. It has been ported to pretty much every device running 2.2 with an unlocked bootloader ( evo,Incredible, for example). I would expect Galaxy S owners will get it soon after 2.2 is released. Future phones, who knows. Enjoy it while you can.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Excellent writeup. Thank you. I've been on the fence about trying this, and you've made it very easy to find all of the information I've been trying to find, and I'll be trying this ROM as soon as I have the time.