D1 broken-upgrade now or wait

papatar

Reaction score
I have a D1 thats about 1 1/2 old with a bad volume switch and no LED. I don't know if i should get a new D1 under my insurance or wait to see whats coming up. I know theres always something new around the corner though. this came up suddenly and i don't know what options i have. iphone??? thunderbolt??? i don't know the pros/cons of whats out there but i need to decide soon. if i use the insurance do i have to unroot first. i would appreciate any advice. thanks

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
well if you're waiting for the newer phones you could get a used one from craigslist or something.

It'll hold you over til the new lineup comes out and you don't have to use your upgrade yet

aristoid

Reaction score
Dinc2 ??

Looked at one the other day, like it a lot. Good size for me, 'sense' wasn't too overbearing, pre-installed themes. I won't have LTE in my area before the end of 2012(if then), so don't care to wait for the 4G phones.

However - there are a handful of interesting phones coming out in the next few months that might be worth waiting for. If you can deal with the phones issues for a bit longer(doesn't sound like the phone is inoperable) find one that catches your eye and get on the waiting wagon...There are a handful of threads in the news and discussions sections that are talking about what's heading our way, and potentially 'when'.

<patiently waiting for the D3... :-( >

Last edited:

obutto

Reaction score
Wait for the Galaxy S II for Verizon...That phone looks like the best future proof option. It's really a terrible time to upgrade right now because Dual Core phones are JUST starting to come out, and so are 4G phones. Buy a used D1/Blackberry from Craigs and then wait.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Call Verizon and check to see if you have extended warentee. It comes with a two year contract or something... At least i know i didnt purchase an extended warentee and they replaced mine for free. Worth a call just in case. (Mine was a day 1 and just got it replaced a couple weeks ago)

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I'd wait for dual cores, if it's still usable. You can still control the volume through the settings menu or power widgets. You don't need to unroot for insurance.

Sent by the Unbrickable DROID

Last edited:
OP
P

papatar

Reaction score
thanks, just the info i was looking for. the D1 is still usable and volume can be controlled other ways but i can't scroll thru any options like in recovery when flashing another rom. i think i will limp thru the next few months to see what becomes available but the Dinc2 does sound like its worth a look. thanks again

yearn

Reaction score
I'd try warranting it now, good chance you'll get lucky and get a droid 2, then if u wanna upgrade later you can sell the droid 2 for more than the deductible was anyway.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
P

papatar

Reaction score
'yearn' thats a good idea if i decide the re-rooting and all is worth the hassle. you guys say i don't need to unroot to use the insurance on a new one?

OP
P

papatar

Reaction score
i just tried and yes you can use the directional pad. i think that seals the deal and i will keep my D1 til the summer phones show up. i get some kind of verizon discount in mid july so i'll wait til then. in mine searching though the HTC and samsung phones look good. then theres still the iphone 5 coming... thanks again for all the help