D-loading Apps for my Droid Incredible

sunflrz

Reaction score
I'm new to this phone, I used to have Blackberry Storm. I want to d-load some apps to my phone, but I"m noticing that when I go to d-load them, they are telling me that the app will have full access to my information, sd card, can delete my pictures, can see my location. This is alittle concerning to me. I was just wondering if anyone had any insite on this?

Thanks!:)

C3-PO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V20
Don't worry about it too much if you get the program from the Market. If the things it tells you it has access to doesn't make sense you can always e-mail the developer to ask why. They usually get back to me in a day or two. I haven't had any problems yet and I've been on android for almost a year now

harrellj

Reaction score
d-load means downloading correct? As for the access permissions, that is standard for the OS, all Android apps will tell you what access rights you'll be granting them. The idea is that since you can install apps from anywhere (even non-market sources), it'll help you decide whether to install that particular app.

If you're not certain about a particular app, try and look at similar apps, do they have the same permissions? If so, then its probably because of what the app does. It also depends on the type of app, music apps have no need for access to the camera, wallpaper apps shouldn't need SMS access. Also, check out the comments on an app, as well as its rating and the number of downloads. Sites like appbrain.com which have their own comment system as well as pulling the market comments helps with research too (androlib.com is another popular site).

If you have any particular apps you're not certain about, which ones? As big and active as this site is, you'll probably find at least one person who's tried whichever app you're curious about.

OP
S

sunflrz

Reaction score
Thanks! I wasn't trying to be "overly" concerned....but coming from a BB Storm, that has a totally different style of apps, I was just alittle thrown off. I appreciate your input! Any suggestions on some worth while apps?

Also, why would an app prevent your phone from sleeping? - Does this mean I would have to kill the app with the app killer? Sorry ya'll....I'm sooo new to this. Thanks.

Last edited:

C3-PO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V20
Thanks! I wasn't trying to be "overly" concerned....but coming from a BB Storm, that has a totally different style of apps, I was just alittle thrown off. I appreciate your input! Any suggestions on some worth while apps?

One app that I find most useful to me is Timeriffic. It lets you control setting for your phone like volume, vibration, wifi, screen brightness etc. based on a schedule. So when I go to work, my phone automatically jumps to vibrate, and when I get off the volume jumps back up. Saturday morning - silence etc.

harrellj

Reaction score
If you want more control, tasker or locale are good for scheduling things too (tasker even more so but locale's a great beginner app and its plugins work with tasker).

An app would prevent your phone from sleeping if that sleeping will interfere with items. I've only had one app that actually did prevent the phone from sleeping, and that was my ebook reader (Aldiko) and that was only while I had the app open. If I hit home so it'd be a background app, the phone would sleep right away. I think some apps will use that permission only long enough to check for updates (news/new tweets/etc).

As for other recommended apps, there are several threads all over this board (including in the application sub-forum) of people posting their favorite apps.

OP
S

sunflrz

Reaction score
C3-PO, that sounds like an awesome app! I'm totally getting that one because I heard that it helps your battery life if you decrease the brightness on your phone. I kept hearing the phone is GREAT, but it has "low battery life", a friend told me to dload the advanced app killer, and to adjust the brightness. Yay! Thanks!