d-age 988 tablet skype issues

ngt

Reaction score
My sister in law bought my 3 year old son a tablet for his birthday. Mainly for the purpose of using Skype to talk with her from across the country. Problem is the video flickers and lags line like crazy. I know it's not the Internet connection, because I use the same wifi connection to Skype on my phone and it works perfectly. Is this tablet just a piece of crap, or do I need to update it, change settings, etc? ? Any help would be appreciated.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
If it's one of those real cheapies with 1/2 gig of RAM I could understand why she is having an issue.

OP
ngt

ngt

Reaction score
If it's one of those real cheapies with 1/2 gig of RAM I could understand why she is having an issue.
Ok thanks, at least I know I don't have to keep giving myself a headache trying to figure this out. Thanks

Can I up grade the team on this thing?

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Ok thanks, at least I know I don't have to keep giving myself a headache trying to figure this out. Thanks

Can I up grade the team on this thing?
First I would confirm how much RAM it has. I would also delete any Apps that are not essential.
I don't think you can any additional memory.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
One other thought. There is an App called Autoruns. It disables many of the startup Apps and will free up RAM. You may want to give it a try.

Reactions: ngt
OP
ngt

ngt

Reaction score
Tried it and it still didn't work, checked the ram and it said 165mb in use and 198mb free...363mb of ram?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Probably 512MB. Really small RAM. I don't know why these cheap brand tablets do that. RAM is so cheap they could put more in it for pennies.

Unfortunately there is no way yet to upgrade RAM on these devices like you can on desktop and laptop PCs.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

OP
ngt

ngt

Reaction score
Talked with the computer service guy at best buy while picking up a gift card and he laughed when I told him the name of the tablet and said anything they had at $99 and above would work for Skype. He said the same thing....ram and processor.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
At least your son can play some entry level games.