Cyanogenmod/UD Truth

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by TheMarkness, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMarkness

TheMarkness Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Mods I'm not starting any flame-war, arguments, or debates so please treat this thread with respect. I understand if you want to lock it but please don't delete it "hiding" the truth of the matter. All I'm providing is the truth that UD is a copy/paste of Cyanogenmod.

This is exact same reason why Alldroid (great android developer community I'm actively a part of) gave him the boot (stealing work of others).

CyanogenMod | Android Community Rom based on Donut tree.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0At5T2x0BA9OVdEduX2w5SmRMUm5yMU11bnlTY2FlNVE&hl=en

For those that don't understand compiling a source you can't have matching md5's on different source code compiles. UD being compiled from source is a completely false, if anything it's a compile with winzip :icon_eek: *sarcasm*

Please be courteous and respectful in this thread it's only here to explain the honest truth of what's going on to everyone on this forum and the alike. I know some of you hate to believe black droid is a thief with his work but I'm sorry to be the one to tell you likewise (like telling a child Santa isn't real :icon_eek:).

I do hope the DF community will make the right decision in the end (whatever it may be).

Mod Edit: Mods, leave it alone for now..
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wow the amount of post I miss from going to lunch and coming back. To help keep the thread on track again....

All this was about was showing the truth behind where UD stands. Black Droid blatantly stole the compiled finished ZIP file of the latest 5.0.5.7 koush cyanogen release and basically themed it, added apps, changed a few things and released it as his own. On top of that he....

Gave no credit or mention of cyanogen team or their work, claimed to build from googles source (which doesn't include mentioned cyanogen parts), blatantly lied to everyone's face, and is now hiding from showing his face out of embarrassment (since his lies where discovered!).

He's a fraud that knows how winzip works, and how to replace images in .apks, and how to release other peoples work "remixed". Not really much going on in the development aspect. If you asked him to fix a bug in his "UD 10" I'm sure it would involve waiting until cyanogen/koush fixed it to steal the latest framework files (and of course theme them).

He should have just taken the road of "blackdroid cyanogen/koush remix v1.0 etc etc" instead of taking the road of passing others work (sans theme and apks) as his own.

We haven't heard or seen from him yet because he can't hide behind lies anymore the truth is out and the embarrassment is to much.

2. bodean

bodean Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the heads up. Given this info, what a shame =(

3. hookerdj

hookerdj Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I wish blackdroid would just kiss and make up so this could be dropped already

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

4. droidisawesome

droidisawesome Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know why BD felt that he needed to do this because UD 9.8 was awesome. Some folks complained that 10.0 was not as snappy as 9.8 and now we know why. I have always felt that BD's roms were smoother than CM.

I guess there were a few features of CM like 360 rotation and hold volume to skip tracks that BD either couldn't figure out how to add to his ROM or didn't want to take the time to develop.

5. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What if Cyanogen went back in time and stole it from BD?

6. R1Lover

R1Lover Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    sad.... but very very true! and all the backup to prove it clearly.

7. VirtualGeek

VirtualGeek Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That spreadsheet is compelling.

I flashed Cyanogenmod just to check it out, and honestly, I didn't really see the similarities. I only looked for a few minutes, but there seemed to be an entire configuration page on UD10 that wasn't present in CM. 'sup with that?

8. Erron

Erron Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    OK once again let me go over this a little bit and try to help clear some air.

Let me state I do not use koush's or BD's roms. I have used both and don't now, so I don't give a crap about sides.

But here's the thing: WHO CARES

All of the early roms for our phones were built from one source, koushs. Believe me or not, it's true. If you weren't around then, don't bother to argue. Most of the bigger name roms were all taken from a decompiled source that koush made. A lot still are. Very few people know what all is needed to build a whole new rom from base or source or whatever you wanna call it.

BD should give thanks to Koush for his work, that is for sure. But he isn't a thief. He isn't a bad guy. he is taking a rom and improving it into something most of you enjoy. So let's please stop acting like a bunch of over dramatic people and accept these two things:

Koush is invaluable to the android community. His work is well documented and celebrated everywhere.

BD is doing work most of us enjoy, so use it and like it or don't bother to worry about it.

9. Moondonkey

Moondonkey Member

Ratings:
    +0
    + 1 for this.

I do not think there should be this much drama and bickering in an open source community.

10. huskur

huskur Senior Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Well guess what guys.....I am not defending Blackdroid but this is how i see it and how it should be.

How about the guy that invented the wheel? How many others have "reinvented" it?

How about the guy that invented the first PC? How many different companies make it now?

How about the person that invented the first motorized car?

How about the guy that invented the cell phone?

Get the point yet?

So what he (BD) may/have used someone elses "code". So what? Thats what people do. Make others peoples "stuff" better.

Look at cars......american cars=crap . (to many reasons go into that statement) The fact is, Japan for instance, makes a quality car. Why? Because they took the "american" idea and perfected it. Americans come up with the ideas (great inventors and thinkers) and the foreign countries remove the quirks and make it better. That is what ROM makers do. They have ALL stolen from someone. FACT

11. SANhacker

SANhacker Member

Ratings:
    +7
    IBTL

This is getting ridiculous.

12. masprague

masprague Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Its not that Blackdroid built off of Cyanogen's work, Its that he just basically themed it. He said some insults towards cyanogen and koush then took their hard work passing it off as his own.....It's called giving credit where credit is due. The other rom developers do it with no problems.

This is not the first time BD has been caught with his pants down. He was confronted by LevelUp Studio for including paid apps in his roms. He was kicked off of alldroid. Now hes being confronted for stealing by Cyanogen.

Read Cyanogen's blog post and the comments that follow. srtfool posts that the only thing they "stole" was an xml file that was left in the build by accident. Hmmm...looks like this spreadsheet shows a bit more was taken.

For me, I'm disgusted because a few of my friends were using BD and have donated money to him. They gave money to a man who can't get his act together and admit that his rom is no more than a themed cyanogenmod.

He should be removed from droidforums as a developer for this. There is a constant pattern of dishonesty from BD. I know that DF will not remove him, since he is probably the reason most anyone comes here. I wouldnt be surprised if the other developers left this forums for a more honest place.

Its sad all BD had to do from the get go is give credit to cyanogen. Its not like his hundreds of followers would have even noticed nor would it have deterred them from downloading his rom.

Its about respect and honesty.......plain and simple. If we allow "developers" like BD to exist, then we will watch our beloved android community become nothing but a racket like PSP development has become.

There's my door, guess who wants UD10 off and Cyanogen on...........

13. TheMarkness

TheMarkness Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    So let's say this never became a controversy. What if Cyanogen/Koush said I'm stepping out of the android scene because of apparent abuse from dev groups taking work and releasing it as their own (these guys work hard for free with lives, wives, family, jobs, etc). Where does that put the community then?

Blackdroid didn't perfect "any idea" he unzipped a rom, themed it, added some apks, zipped, released it as his work. I don't see that going over okay anywhere in the American dream, that's what lawsuits and patent infringement are for. On the fact he didn't even use the source code, he unzipped the compiled cyanogen build. The source may be open yes but he took the finished product and redistributed it as his own. Those that reinvent the wheel give credit to the man who invented it, if it wasn't for that man inventing the wheel we wouldn't have a base to work from to "reinvent". Now taking the wheel and changing the color and putting a logo on it doesn't mean it's been "reinvented", it's been copied and stolen!

To sum it up it's called "respect". Some people have it and make heavy use of it (majority of all open source devs, including the android ones (adamz, pete, etc.).

Please stay civil people and respectful. Again opinions or not this thread is strictly to show the truth of the matter.

14. victorythagr8

victorythagr8 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The problem with UD is that the reason he stop updating the 9.8 and jump to 10 and its whole different rom because Pete hasnt update his bugless beast. UD used to be a complete ripoff of Bugless beast and now he is doing the same to koush.

And also the main reason of the Drama is that UD developers were the one who started it all by talking **** about Cyanogen mod, and how clockwork rom manager was basically use for greed and then next thing you know he ends up using their source while disrespecting the creator. They did the same exact thing to pete and that is why they got kicked out of Alldroid.

I won't be supporting any developer who is trying to ruin the Android community.

15. Slipstream

Slipstream Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think the biggest issue is the lack of "props" to CM. For some, acknowledgment and respect of the originator is no big deal; for others, it's everything. The reason CM people are upset is because BD has been asked repeatedly about acknowledging CM for helping build what BD (apparently) uses large chunks of... yet for whatever reason, doesn't. It's one thing to forget, but another to willfully ignore such requests. I suspect the "I'm taking my ball and going home" attitude about UD's participation in ROM manager doesn't help either.

But that's just my viewpoint; I'm not in either camp, as I try a new ROM every 20 minutes. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cyanogenmod 40601 nightly
the truth of cyanogen mod

wallpaper cyanogenmod scary

what is the gift code in bomb me