CyanogenMod ROM

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by natediddy1120, Mar 12, 2010.

1. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just as an FYI to everyone, the developer of the CyanogenMod ROM for the Motorola Droid, as well as the actual ROM, can ONLY be found HERE from now on.

So, if you want a good ROM, developed from source, fully coded by the dev ROM, check out this awesome Droid ROM.

Cyanogen now supports the Droid. So Koush can be found at the CyanogenMod forums now!!
  2. P3Droid

P3Droid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nate don't take this the wrong way but there is only one ROM listed in your group, the rest are merely themes on top of the ROMs.

I get it, what your trying to say, that this site must be filled with fakers (I'm sure you know who you are talking about by whom you have omitted), but I disagree.

Everyone should go with what makes them happy. Android is supposed to be fun, open, and customizable. If all we want to do is accuse some of being fake and some of being "real" we/you are missing the boat. And if that is the case I feel badly for us all, we should go buy an apple product.
  3. nphil

nphil Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I'm pretty sure that Koush is the only dev who builds his ROMs directly from source at AOSP.

But that doesn't mean the other developers aren't developers - Android is all about open source and a big part of that is modifying, repackaging and releasing other's work! Now granted that isn't as hard as compiling from source, it's still a feat and takes up precious time/resources to do it!
  4. pthance

pthance Member

Ratings:
    +0
    DroidMod is almost finished compiling their kernel completely from AOSP source. After that they will be working on getting more and more of it done the same way. Hope this helps clear the air.
  5. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not saying anyone is less talented than the other. The other stuff out there is not *bad* or anything. That's not what I'm saying at all.

And I didn't just omit one ROM from my OP either...
  6. pthance

pthance Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Lol!!! Nate your gonna offend the community by diming out its "secret" non-dev rommer.
  7. RoLa

RoLa Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Damn it!! I just posted my thoughts on this Rom in another post! Oh well it's FRIDAY;)....Anyway. ..I was really impressed with this rom, I have always been a big fan of Cyanogen and his team of TRUE devs. I must say though the only thing that I am hesitant of with this, is the recovery image, and the only reason.......? Its something that I don't know. I will do more testing with this and become more familiar with this and clockwork. I will more than likely switch over to this if all this hype keeps up over here.......no offense.
  8. Topsy

Topsy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I hope you mean compiling their whole ROM from source, the kernel is just a small part...and I know it wouldn't take this long...hell i compiled a kernel.
  9. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Not just hype, but the real deal.

Do this to go to clockrecovery - Rom Manager in the market
    Do this to go to sprecovery - DroidMod from here. http://downloads.droidmod.org/dmupdater-10.apk

Can't be easier, but it is hardier for me to say use these apps, cause I am a terminal nut at heart.
  10. JonKyu

JonKyu Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Haha you said it, I suck at terminal commands but I need all the practice I can get lol. I :heart: the terminal :D, I think that's why Andrynalyne's terminal scripts are so appealing to me.
  11. Topsy

Topsy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Personally, I'd just like to say as well that all this "these people are true devs" and the "not a copy paste" stuff isn't good for the community.

Open source = people will repackage your work.
    Sure some put more work into it then others.
    Some just retheme, some combine features from various roms and offer it to the community.

The fact that they put the effort into and shared it with the community is a good thing.

All this who is better, who is a true dev stuff isn't needed.
  12. pthance

pthance Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'm a little misinformed in the prior post. This isn't a regular "hack-job" on the kernel, and its not only being compiled from source. From what I'm being told they are trying to do a complete re-write of the kernel based off AOSP.
  13. Topsy

Topsy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I seriously doubt they have the resources to rebuild it all from scratch, good luck there.

I believe it was Europe that recently valued the linux kernel @ 1 billion dollars and declared that value was based off the manhours that would be required to duplicate it.

Study: Linux kernel R&D worth over 1 billion euros - The H Open Source: News and Features

Here's the article to back it up.
  14. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +4
    All kernels that are compiled come from AOSP source.

What would be really impressive is if they are able to get 2.6.32 (or 33) working perfectly with the Droid.

THEN, I will be impressed.

As it is, I have already been able to install Bash, and nano into my own setup.

IIRC, that (bash) was a huge unique feature of DM and SM.

You'd be surprised how simple it really is. No magic or genius required.
  15. woodyman

woodyman Senior Member Developer

Ratings:
    +4

Well NATE, hope that the top of my newest thread clarifies that im not a true DEV.. check it out, i think you'll like it... :icon_ banana:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/android-roms/29452-goods-v-1-5-a.html#post302737
Search tags for this page

using clockmode recovery