CyanogenMod Ringleader Now “Working” with Samsung Mobile

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Malvado, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod Premium Member

[​IMG]
    In other acquisition news, it appears Android developer extraordinaire, Steve Kondik AKA Cyanogen, was picked up by Samsung Mobile for an undisclosed amount according the recent change in his “work” status today on Facebook. Seems Steve found himself a software engineering job for the Korean based company thanks to his exceptional work on CyanogenMod, a custom ROM supporting a broad range of devices built entirely from Android open source. CyanogenMod brings users a slightly enhanced “Google experience” to their phones, untouched by a lot of the UI fluff and changes found in many OEM devices like HTC’s Sense UI and Samsung’s TouchWiz.
    Still unsure what this means for CyanogenMod (Steve assures us CM will remain a side project) or if we’re getting closers to a release of a Samsung branded “Cyanogen Phone,” seeing how Samsung recently provided the CyanogenMod team with a handful of Galaxy S II’s to tinker around with. Either way we, at Phandroid, wish Steve the best of luck in his new job venture! Thanks, for everything you’ve done and continue to do for the community!
    ***UPDATE: As a courtesy, I’ll ask that you don’t go flooding his Facebook with friend requests. It is his personal account for his close friends and family. Feel free to find him on add him to a circle on Google+ or follow him on Twitter instead. Thanks for your understanding.

SOURCE: Gadget University » High Tech, Higher Learning » CyanogenMod Ringleader Now “Working” with Samsung Mobile
  2. Schoat333

Schoat333 New Member

This is definately good news for us Samsung owners. I'm sure his Android knowledge will be a great asset for Samsung.
  3. JWellington

JWellington New Member

So much merging, left and right...working together we can achieve so much more than we ever could apart.

Swyped from my DROIDX from Tapatalk.
  4. SwiftLegend

SwiftLegend New Member

Nice. Good move on Sammy's part. Now Google+Moto isn't so intimidating. I think this is the #1 sign of why Android will always be better than iOS. To be a hobby Android developer one day, and then to be picked up by a huge company like Samsung must be amazing. I doubt Apple will ever pick up GeoHot and the like to help develop for iOS.
  5. Detonation

Detonation New Member

I wouldn't be getting your hopes up for a Samsung CM phone...pretty sure the "Side project (CM) is not affiliated in any way with my employer" means exactly what it says. This guy is a great developer and was hired because of that, not because of CM.
  6. SwiftLegend

SwiftLegend New Member

We know this. We're excited that a great dev like Cyanogen has been picked up. He knows Android inside and out and has imported features into Android that weren't native. Having someone like Steve will mean Samsung phones get things like better TouchWiz integration, officially supported stock builds, and the like.
  7. Metalunna

Metalunna New Member

I wonder what kind of NDA he signed. It may well be that anything he creates or modifies even in his spare time, could be owned by Samsung. Ask some of the guys at DuPont and Dow Chem how companies treat "on the side" stuff. Could be some conflict of interest clauses in there. Pure speculation of course.
  8. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod Premium Member

They will have him as a slave and pay him cents a day for all of his hard work. Then Samsung will claim it as its own. LMAO sorry I just had to say something ridiculously stupid :)

Sent from my DROID 3 directly to YOU!