CyanogenMod Install, Clockwork and ROM Manager Questions

GeneRs

Reaction score
So, I'm probably one of the last people still running a 2.01 ROM. ( AdamZ's Smoked Glass ). I'm BORED.

I've been enticed by all of you who are running CyanogenMod ROMs. I'm considering loading up the latest to my Droid. But I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone could answer for me.

1. Which IS the latest CyanogenMod ROM?
2. Is the only way to download these ROMs through ROM Manager? Don't have that app, never ever used it. Is it pretty simple? I'm no dummy ( I have modified some theme files, APK's, etc ) but I have no idea how to read hex codes or anything like that.
3. Is it true that if I load up Clockwork Recovery that I will never be able to use SPRecovery again? And, If so, how would I ever access and install my old backups?
4. How Themeable is CyanogenMod? I mean using MetaMorph. I am a junkie when it comes to changing the look of my Droid. Homescreen, icons, taskbar, launchers, live wallpapers...the works. ( My wife is ready to divorce me for just this reason ) I have loaded many a ROM only to remove them because when theming using MM, I would get infinate boot loops.

I think that's all the questions that I have at this point. I appolligize if these questions seem redundant or rediculous. I appreciate ANY feedback that can be offered.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Answers:

1. The latest version for Droid is CyanogenMod 5.0.7.1.

2. You can install CM manually, and if you really want to I can put up some links, but ROM Manager+Clockwork makes life very easy. Get the paid version of ROM Manager to be able to download a whole slew of ROMs and themes, but for straight CM, I believe you can get by with the free version. All you do is download the latest CM, you will be asked if you want to wipe data+cache (and you do in your case), as well as backup your current ROM (which you want to do as well, so you have a backup compatible with Clockwork Recovery), and your phone will reboot, install the new ROM, and then reboot. Go into settings in ROM Manager and choose Advanced Mode to be able to (after CM install) install alternate, overclocked kernels from either bekit or p3droid (both are terrific).

3. Not true in the slightest. ROM Manager gives you the choice to flash between clockwork and SPrecovery. However, ROM Manager will only work with clockwork, and yes, your old SPrecovery backups will only work with that recovery.

4. Extremely themeable. Metamorph works just fine, but note that in the latest CM there are options in spare parts to change various text colors without having to use Metamorph. (This way, you can for example only need MM on framework-res.apk and not have to mess with services.jar). But you can of course still use MM to change almost anything if you wish.

Hope this helped.

BACAbone

Reaction score
So, I'm probably one of the last people still running a 2.01 ROM. ( AdamZ's Smoked Glass ). I'm BORED.

I've been enticed by all of you who are running CyanogenMod ROMs. I'm considering loading up the latest to my Droid. But I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone could answer for me.

1. Which IS the latest CyanogenMod ROM?
2. Is the only way to download these ROMs through ROM Manager? Don't have that app, never ever used it. Is it pretty simple? I'm no dummy ( I have modified some theme files, APK's, etc ) but I have no idea how to read hex codes or anything like that.
3. Is it true that if I load up Clockwork Recovery that I will never be able to use SPRecovery again? And, If so, how would I ever access and install my old backups?
4. How Themeable is CyanogenMod? I mean using MetaMorph. I am a junkie when it comes to changing the look of my Droid. Homescreen, icons, taskbar, launchers, live wallpapers...the works. ( My wife is ready to divorce me for just this reason ) I have loaded many a ROM only to remove them because when theming using MM, I would get infinate boot loops.

I think that's all the questions that I have at this point. I appolligize if these questions seem redundant or rediculous. I appreciate ANY feedback that can be offered.

5.0.7.1 is the latest and u dont have to have rom manager but
if u get even the free version of rom manager u can download cyanogen very easily. think that is why its so popular. it has so many options like flash alternate recovery SPrecovery which i believe answers another one of your questions.
as far as themeability i dunno. i have not ever tried myself

Edit: damn u pdroid and ur quick fingers lol

craighwk

Reaction score
Here's another ROM Manager question... Does the Backup ROM feature back up your applications and settings, or just the ROM itself? I haven't had to do a restore yet, and I am completely happy with BB1.1 right now, so I just created a backup and would like to know if it's all inclusive.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here's another ROM Manager question... Does the Backup ROM feature back up your applications and settings, or just the ROM itself? I haven't had to do a restore yet, and I am completely happy with BB1.1 right now, so I just created a backup and would like to know if it's all inclusive.

It's a nandroid backup. Backs up everything, restores your phone to the exact state where you left it.

craighwk

Reaction score

It's a nandroid backup. Backs up everything, restores your phone to the exact state where you left it.

Excellent. Thanks for that. Nice to know I don't have to keep re-downloading my apps. :)