[ROM] CyanogenMod 9 [BETA] (D2G) (8/19)

Fiater0936

Reaction score
You should try again and remember install gapps after.
Installed CM9 3 days ago, worked good but anyway it killed battery faster.

mightysween

Reaction score
You put on Brightness/Automatic brightness set to on and your keyboard does not work? Mine has worked with this rom forever as long as the Automatic brightness setting is on...

I can confirm on a fresh install that both softkey and keyboard backlights stay on as long as Automatic Brightness is enabled. However, I can also confirm that the Automatic brightness feature does not work on my phone with the default settings, which means that I can't have it on...which means that my keyboard and softkey lights do not work. Turning on Auto Brightness and then turning it off does not keep the lights on (though the softkeys stay illuminated...the keyboard shuts back off).

So the real problem becomes making Auto Brightness work. The only setting I changed to do that was Menu>System Settings>Display>Automatic backlight>Allow light decrease (off by default, I set it to on).

Now my screen dims and brightens properly, so I can keep Automatic Brightness on and therefore have my keyboard and softkey lights working. That certainly does nothing to solve the underlying problem, but hopefully it helps someone else to work around the issue!

Thanks to everyone who has worked on this ROM...it is really fantastic to have breathed new life into the Droid 2 with CM9.

UPDATE: I noticed after this post that when I put my phone into the car dock, the backlights all shut off. This makes navigation at night very difficult since you cannot see any of the softkeys or keyboard keys. I am now using a market app called "Keyboard Backlight Controller" to force the softkey backlights to stay on...not the most elegant solution, but it works.

Last edited:
OP
13th angel

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Updated op with new build. Not much in the way of changes from the 8/9 build over on Rootz. All stuff from CM, mostly translations and minor bug fixes.

leonellozano

Reaction score
13th angel said:
Updated op with new build. Not much in the way of changes from the 8/9 build over on Rootz. All stuff from CM, mostly translations and minor bug fixes.

I want to try the room. I'm from Colombia. Great job, but I want to know if I can install this room having the Android 2.2 froyo on my D2G, and if not, what version of Android I have to be? Thank you so much.

ark116

Reaction score
nice ROM
took me a little bit, buuut after a sbf to GB and a factory wipe, it finally stopped boot-looping
and it it looks nice lol,

OP
13th angel

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I want to try the room. I'm from Colombia. Great job, but I want to know if I can install this room having the Android 2.2 froyo on my D2G, and if not, what version of Android I have to be? Thank you so much.

Have to be on Gingerbread (2.3)

Soap

Reaction score
I am using d2g on att's network with the help of this TBH US GSM Band Unlock for Droid 2 Global and Pro Update.zip Public Release - MyDroidWorldan I flash this rom? Does it modify baseband or radio?
This rom looks so nice, definitely want to try it.
THanks in advance

Soap

Reaction score
I am using d2g on att's network with the help of this TBH US GSM Band Unlock for Droid 2 Global and Pro Update.zip Public Release - MyDroidWorldan I flash this rom? Does it modify baseband or radio?
This rom looks so nice, definitely want to try it.
THanks in advance
By the way, I am running on Venus D2G RC5, Kernel version 2.6.32.9, baseband N_01.48.05R
According to the GSM unlock post, baseband radio should be intact in order to let the GSM patch work.
I dont know if I can flash this rom.

nh97103

Reaction score
On the new version (8/19) picture messaging stopped working. I couldn't receive or send any pictures. Is there some way to fix it in the settings?
Also, is there a way to make messages over 160 characters not split up?
Thanks to the people who built this rom. Love the look and feel! Wish battery life was a little better, but what can you do? :)

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
The message splitting is due to MMS settings, but even tweaking it I still haven't gotten it to act like normal messaging.

The picture messaging issue I'm guessing is localized to the D2G builds so I can't help you there.

nh97103

Reaction score
Just a few things I've noticed after running CM9 for about a month: (Note: This is all on 4/24 because I could get picture messages to receive on it, but not on the newer version)

1. Battery life is not great. Even with pretty light usage on minimum brightness and 3g, gps, bluetooth, and wifi off, I was only getting about 10-12ish hours. I would get about double that on stock.

2. Picture messaging is broken. You can receive a picture if you try send some random picture to someone (I used myself) and then click download. Also, sending pictures doesn't work.

3. When scrolling up to read earlier messages, it lags badly. If you scroll slowly though it works fine.

4. If the lockscreen is on and you open the keyboard, it unlocks the device. I actually found that to be useful, but there were a few times I pulled my phone out of my pocket and it was unlocked with the screen on. That could have contributed a little to battery life I suppose.

5. Keyboard doesn't work without automatic brightness, but someone in an earlier post told how to fix that by tweaking a setting and it did work for me.

6. Wifi has an issue occasionally where after being turned on, it tries and tries to join a network and fails until you press forget the network and retype your password. This issue only happen 5 times or so in the whole time I have been on CM9.

7. The QWERTY keyboard has two issues. Sometime it stops working and when you press buttons it opens apps sort of like short cut keys would. I don't know which keys opened what, but for an example let's say the M key would open messaging. The only way to fix this was to restart it. That issue didn't happen a lot a lot either though. The second issue involves the alt lock. Sometimes it doesn't turn it off so you just press the alt key and that turns it off.

8. Finally, the most annoying issue: When it gets to 15% battery, the red life of death starts flashing every few seconds. Over and over and over and over and over again. It is very distracting. Even after disabling the notification light, it still doesn't stop it. And seeing as how battery life isn't that great, I get down to 15% almost every day which makes it all the more worse.

All that being said, I don't expect a ROM to work perfectly. I can't thank everyone who has worked on this enough for giving us options. None of those issues are that bad at all (Red notification light comes close....)

For now, I think I'll go back to stock for the battery life. Just getting tired of having to deal with charging it so much more.

Thank you all again. It was nice to get away from the headaches of stock for a while :)

Last edited: