Cyanogen vs Smoked...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by spacemanps, Mar 22, 2010.

1. spacemanps

spacemanps New Member

So i have been doing some reading and i heard that Cyanogen was a good rom. Right now i am on Smoked Glass 6 and its running good. I just did a total refresh from stock and i was debating testing Cyanogen out... Whats the big differences?

And i just convered to clock work..
  2. Humpa

Humpa New Member

personally, I like the ESE53 rom's. They are the most stable (I'm using Adamz's too).
    cyanogenmod is cool because they are built from the ground up from the AOSP. Though they still aren't quite up to par with the ESE53 build as far as compatibility/stability - after all, Moto built the ESE53 rom. ;)

But part of the fun and flexibility of these recovery images is the ease in which we can try different rom's and decide for ourselves which one we like the best, or which one works best for our own needs and preferences.
  3. spacemanps

spacemanps New Member

how do i go about blocking the OTA updates with clockwork??
  4. Flomaster

Flomaster Premium Member Premium Member

Clockwork is a recovery console it has nothing to do with OTA's but if you are running Cyanogen by Koush you do not have to worry about OTA's

-=Jason=-
  5. spacemanps

spacemanps New Member

well im running smoked, and i was reading that OTA wasnt deactivated... and when 2.1 comes out... yeah.. so i think i need to go about disabling it.. correct me if i am wrong..
  6. Humpa

Humpa New Member

Just delete or rename the /etc/security/otacerts.zip if you don't want OTA updates and you aren't sure if you are going to get them or not.

EDIT: or is it /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip?
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  7. pmas

pmas New Member

I tried, was disappointed in the stability and headed back for Adamz ROM. A few steps are required to go back after clockworks is installed. The easiest way is using DM Installer from DroidMod to re-install SPRecovery.
  8. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

what did you guys find instable about 5.0.5?
  9. nikkix

nikkix New Member

i too, am debating on trying koush's rom. i just love smoked glass though. plus blue is my favorite color haha. when he gets apps2sd working a little better (ie easier to do) , ill definitely take the leap then. but until then, im not sure.
  10. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

I had a couple of force closes and I definitely had battery issues. The battery problem seems to be with the phone's standby function: Possible Cell Standby Fix. Edit: Found/isolated! - CyanogenMod Forum . I had this issue. In fact I switched from Cm to Ultimate Droid and still had it. My standby was over 30% with both of those roms. I then switched to BB V0.9 and my cell standby is 4-6% now (thought I've only been off the charger for about an hour now so maybe this will change).
  11. Humpa

Humpa New Member

Well they've had two updates to cyanogen since I tried it. It seemed ok for the 60 minutes it was on my phone, but at the time there were too many reported issues (MMS not working, battery life, and something else were rather prominent in the bug reporting areas, so I went back to ESE53). If we didn't already have the 2.1 official update hacked, rooted, and running slick as baby $hit I might have stuck with it. :D

Maybe in a few months once more is learned, I'll try cyanogenmod again or some other rom that is built from the AOSP (if there are more, that is). Though I may have something better than a Droid by that time. The earth definately rotates faster in the mobile phone world. ;)
  12. Flomaster

Flomaster Premium Member Premium Member

my phone went from 5am to 1am on one battery charge yesterday while display a cellstandby of 42% and 50% signal loss. it had NO ill effects on my battery life and my battery left was displaying my phone as having 33 hours of use per charge cycle.

some thing is not right, but I am getting GREAT battery life with Koush's Cyanogen 5.0.5

-=Jason=-
  13. nikkix

nikkix New Member

Im having major cell standby battery drain issues too. But with the smoked glass rom. I wonder if itds a 2.1 problem..anyone else having the problem with SG?
  14. SoCalMiles

SoCalMiles New Member

All your issues were with Helix launcher2 on cyanogen...Run the original launcher and ITS MORE THAN STABLE. Of course this is my opinion but I've tried the ESE53 roms and they're great but the features now and coming up on Cyanogen push it way over!
  15. pmas

pmas New Member

Battery life was ridiculous. 4 hours from full to 5%. I normally get a full day with other ROMS (around 10 hours).
    Several times the phone did not come out of standby. Have to pull the battery and reboot. This happened 5 times in a one hour period.
    Pandora constantly freezing, again causing me to have to remove the battery and reboot.
    The list goes on..and yes, i did a complete wipe twice, before installing.
  16. Humpa

Humpa New Member

Yeah, I'm sure I'll try cyanogenmod again. I definately like the idea of an open rom built from the AOSP and having all available features.
    What features now or coming does the cyanogenmod rom have that I can't get as easily on an ESE53 rom?
  17. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Biggest thing is this. I don't know if it isn't working right now but the Cyanogen mod has the support for apps2sd. This will free up system and phone resources. There are small things that it has that no ESE53 rom will have by itself (unless someone cuts it out of Koush's rom and puts in theirs!!) These would include led notifications while the screen is on. 360 screen rotation. Not to mention MM doesn't flake out like it does on the ESE53 build like BB and UD. Over more stable, but that is just what I am seeing using it.
  18. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Glad it's working for you and I sure wish it would work for me. :mad:

BTW, I really lusted after the 360 rotation thing, until I had it. Turns out I hate to have the screen move around like that!! An excellent case of be careful what you wish for syndrome. :)
  19. Humpa

Humpa New Member

Yeah apps2sd will be nice when it works better than not having it.
    Also jit will be nice once it is working 100% as well.
    I believe Google is working on both of these too though - I know they're working on jit, and I thought I heard mention of future Android OS being able to install 3rd party apps to the sdcard.

The LED notification when the screen is lit would be handy for me. But I don't theme, so it looks like that's about the only thing I'm missing aside from the neat "reboot" option when you press the power button and also the Launcher2 (assuming this works with cyanogenmod without issues?).

Like I said, I'm looking forward to trying it again - once it has some improvements over the ESE53. But at the current stage of development I feel more confident in Moto's build - or more accurately, I'm just not bored with the Moto build yet. ;)
  20. superglen99

superglen99 New Member

I have Cyanogen 5.0.5 and battery life is great and all works fine. The only issue I had was the launcher 2. While it does work, it lags really bad when going home from apps or browser. The easy fix was to download Helix Launcher and all is well. I'm OC to 1000 too.