Cyanogen or UD?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by bomber889, Apr 3, 2010.

1. bomber889

bomber889 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been using UD for a while now, but I kind of want to try out Cyanogen. Does anyone have any suggestions? Which do you think is better?

2. bizfox

bizfox Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cyanogen has nifty little features that some of the other roms don't seem to have... like in-built wifi tethering and even being able to send an sms/mms from the dialpad screen. Another additional perk is the apps2sd feature. Its stock theme is very basic (aka plain) as well, but you can always theme it (just make sure it's compatible with CM or you'll be saying hello to the M motto more often lol). In other words, different strokes for different folks. I personally found it nice with a lot of in-built extras, but still found it lacking in speed and customization. That's why I ended up going back to UD9.

While the above is my own experience, it may be different for you. Try it... if you like it, that's fine. If not, that's still okay... just restore your nandroid backup...

3. Xaneth

Xaneth Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had trouble answering my phone on CM 5.0.5.4. Swipe not responding.

4. NeverEndingXsin

NeverEndingXsin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I havent personally ran UD at all but ive been running Jrummy's Remix Cyanogenmod and its flawless :) the theme over all is really nice, its extremely fast, i advise you to use Rom Manager and Clockwork Recovery simply because i find it to be not only faster but easier to use. With Jrummy's it comes with a bunch of scripts for removing bogus apps that you dont want. You can also use the scripts to change the system font and such.

Overall my experience has been phenomenal, its worked perfect for me and definitely worth a shot to try out :)

5. ashkev843

ashkev843 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I love the little features of cyanmod. The using the volume rocker to skip tracks on the music player is something I use on a regular basis. How do you send a text from the dialpad??

6. jbg25

jbg25 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Both are great developers...and you will probably have to try both out to decide for yourself...and even then you will probably want to swap back and forth as improvements are made.

7. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just try them both. I have nandroids of both UD9 and Cyanogen 5.0.5.4 (Jrummy's version) set up just how I like them. I switch back and forth and really enjoy both.

8. brando56894

brando56894 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ive tried all three roms mentioned in this thread.

CM 5.0.5.3 was really fast for me and I liked the little add-ins that the others mentioned, my favorite was the addition of "reboot" when you hold down the power button. But IMO it was kind of ugly looking and I didnt want to spend the time themeing it.

Right after I upgraded to CM 5.0.5.4 I found Jrummys Remix CM and loved the look of it but sadly for some reason it was pretty slow on my droid and I had to get rid of it.

Im currently on Ultimate Droid 9 and love it but stuff FC's occasionallym which im pretty sure is kernel related and not rom related.

Check em out and see what one you like best.

9. bizfox

bizfox Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Type in a mobile number in the dialpad and press options. You'll get the "Send SMS/MMS" to click on...

10. bomber889

bomber889 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the info everyone!

11. bgill55

bgill55 Silver Member Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +8
    Cyanogen is built from source! so they can add all the little goodies in the rom instead of doing patches! 360 degree rotation FTW so many other little option that just make it stand out! i still have yet to find all of them!

12. bomber889

bomber889 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I might go ahead and try cyanogen.

13. Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    +1

Not talkin down on UD, but its essentially a copy paste ese53 with everything put into it that have been around on any ROM. CM is made from scratch, and idk why people say its ugly, it literally takes rom manager one minute to theme it completely lol

14. bomber889

bomber889 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just downloaded cyanogen, but it keeps restarting and sending me back to the boot animation. I wiped everything before I did it. It seems a little slower, but I'm going to dl the smoked glass theme for it from rom manager and see how it looks. Just in the process of setting up all my apps and setting now.

Edit* It's getting kinda annoying, it's restarted like 6 times within 20 minutes.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  15. jbg25

jbg25 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Which version did you download and what mods?