Cyanogen mod and me///not such good friends

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by JAKE829, Aug 26, 2010.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. JAKE829

JAKE829 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok, so.
    new to hacking phones i decided i was going to root. i struggled bt eventually made it to the promised land, 2.2 rooted superphone. thats when things stopped going so well. i installed my first rom, so far so good. it was cyanogenmob 5.0.8. upon reboot i was amazed it was so cool, but then i noticed my contacts wernt there, easy enough just sync up, not working. then i decided i need my root tools, then i discover there was no market place. eerrrrrrrr :icon_evil:. so then after trying every possible method of getting rid of the evil cyanogenmod i have bricked my phone. my own fault, i know. now the onlything i can do is load the boot loader and the clockwork recovery screens. none of my restores are there or back ups or update.zip files, nothing.....

any advice?

/rant, cry
  2. kepley

kepley Member

Ratings:
    +0
    do you have a microSD card reader for your computer? you can download a rom w/ your computer and then put it onto the card and slap that bad boy back into your droid and recover. (<< longest run on sentence ever.) that same thing happened to me too, i wondering why the marketplace was gone, haha. let me know how it works for you.
  3. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +22
    First, CM 5.0.8 is a 2.1 based ROM (built from AOSP using the Eclair branch).
    Second, none of the google applications are included are are a separate download/install as Cyanogen got a Cease & Desist order from Google.

all you had to do was use Rom Manager to install CM 5.0.8 and it pops up the option to download/install the Google Apps. Also you could have gone back and just "re-downloaded" CM 5.0.8 checking google apps this time and then not installing when it asks to install. This downloads the files and saves them to your SD Card where you could have then just installed the google apps.

Actually...just checking Rom Manager now....they have a selection just for downloading the google apps, under Download Rom, CyanogenMod....

Google Apps (Froyo) - this would go with CM 6 and up
    Google Apps (Eclair) - this would go with CM 5.0.8 and below
  4. tcrews

Ratings:
    +22
    To see about a quick fix for your issues.....how did you install CM 5.0.8 ? Using Rom Manager?

If so....the file is in the dowload folder under ClockworkMod on your sd card (not sure what directory name under download.....just browse them all).

You can boot into clockworkmod recovery and select install and browse to the CyanogenMod5.0.8 .zip file and install it. Then when it's up....use Rom Manager to get the google apps (gmail, market, contact sync, etc..)
  5. kepley

kepley Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Because there was no marketplace app (for me at least) there was no way to get ROM Manager back. It wouldn't re-download any purchased, or free, apps.
  6. tcrews

Ratings:
    +22
    Rom Manager is included in the CyanogenMod builds...so it should be there without the need to redownload it.
  7. JAKE829

JAKE829 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yea i Dl'd CM5.0.8 w/ rom manager. i went from 2.2 to 5.0.8 (2.1-update1)
    however all those awesome ideas would have been extremely helpful three hours ago, my sd card has no data on it there is no recoveries or backups or anything.

how would i load the stock rom on the the sd card via computer and get my phone to flash it or even boot back to what it was? would i throw a stock update.zip or something, i tried to flash the 2.0.1 file with rsd lite but it wont detect my phone. What ever is easiest to get to whether it be 2.0.1 2.1 or 2.2 i just wont to get back to stock so i can start over.
  8. tcrews

Ratings:
    +22
    Well if you can boot into clockworkmod recovery there isn't really any need to go back to stock and start over. Just install whatever ROM you want.

First...put the phone down :) Use your PC to find the ROM you want and download it.
    Second...boot into recovery, mount the SD Card and then mount it to your PC. Copy the rom image from your PC to the SD Card.

Dismount the SD Card from your computer ("eject drive....") and then dismount the SD Card in ClockworkMod Recovery.

Third, install (or whatever the optione is) and select the rom you copied to your card.

Fourth, well you are done. Your phone is up and running whatever ROM you downloaded. You can change ROMs from then if you want (Try a 2.2 CyanogenMod rom, Sapphire, Lithiumod, etc...).

Here....the latest, Froyo 2.2 FRG22D, rooted with Busybox and De-Odexed.
    FRG22D-DEODEXED-Release.zip

and if that link didn't work...here's a link to the forum and post.
    Droid - FRG22D, rooted, deodexed, busyboxed **Rooted Users

Download that on your pc, move it to your phones SD card and install it with ClockworkMod Recovery.
  9. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Also - check out the IRC chat - #koush on freenode. So long as you're willing to put up with a bit of snark, you can get a lot of great realtime help as you install. I recommend skipping CM5 and going straight to CM6RC3. You need to install both the rom AND the gapps file, and you'll be good to go. Make sure you wipe data when going from another ROM or major version.
  10. airborne3e9

airborne3e9 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    all of these problem could be avoided by doing just a lil of research and following instructions. if those to things r 2 complicated u prob shouldnt b rooting and running custom roms on ur phone
  11. JAKE829

JAKE829 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    SWEEEET, thanks tcrews, you're the man! i am up and opperational. apologies for the thick headedness. shes all there synced, you saved me much frustration dancedroiddancedroid
  12. tcrews

Ratings:
    +22
    No problem, glad I could help.
Search tags for this page

cyanogenmod words with friends