Cyanogen hit by big layoffs, may refocus on apps!

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Cyanogen-Inc.png

Although It has been three years since CyanogenMod attempted to be a real company. It appears as though the grand experiment of Cyanogen may turn out to be a failure. The attempt to make a popular fork of Android never took off and now Cyanogen is in the midst of some major layoffs, according to a new report by Android Police!

Cyanogen has already laid off 30 out of its 136 employees, which is 20% of the company, and the majority of those layoffs have been the open source software team. The systems and QA teams in Palo Alto and Seattle have seen big cuts, and Cyanogen's offices in Lisbon and India may be closed entirely. Some say that
this doesn't necessarily mean that CyanogenMod is being abandoned, but without people at the company to work on the ROM, it's hard to imagine how the project would continue.

Source

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)

Although It has been three years since CyanogenMod attempted to be a real company. It appears as though the grand experiment of Cyanogen may turn out to be a failure.
The syntax for that first sentence made me cringe very badly.

Off topicness aside, that's really unfortunate to hear about CM but it isn't all that surprising. Their strength is in augmenting other devices with their varios ROM builds, not manufacturing and marketing their own. I'd imagine Samsung spends more yearly, than what the entire CyanogenMod company is worth.

Amagine

Reaction score
To be honest, the only real reason to go for CM these days, would be to update an EOL device. That's if the device is rooted as well. Of the major devices only a couple cross my mind as ones I would put CM on. As much as I dislike TouchWiz, Samsung has done a lot the past couple of years to address some of the issues. Same for Moto.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I may not be a fan of everything done by the CM crew but I still give a standing ovation to him that CM went from a backyard rom to a full company. It's easy to throw shade on another person or idea. Look they could have done x or y better but we don't know all the dynamics that came into place. The route taken may have been the only door opened and they may have hoped that they could inspire the android community to get behind it.

Unfortunately this was too late. Had this company been at the forefront when all we had was the bloated down devices during the droid 2/droid x days this company would have gotten the full backing of the rom community. But now many of the rom community have moved on whether because they just grew out of flashing, don't have time anymore, or are finally satisfied with the stock devices that are out (or combination).

If Cyanogen end up folding the tent and going home that is still better than most rom makers. To take a rom community and turn it into a real business is a huge feat. It is taking what you do for a hobby and making it a business. I personally have no issue with doing that. Offer the service and the market will respond if they want it or not.