Cyanogen Help

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jmackxiii, Mar 24, 2010.

1. jmackxiii

jmackxiii New Member

Ok so last night I took the plunge to root (video: rooting/unrooting a motorola droid with droidmod 1.0 – part 1 | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog) , and going to the Cyanogen ROM.
    I followed the steps on this video. (Video: Installing CyanogenMod V5.0.4.2 for Droid | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog)
    My ONLY issue is after loading the ROM i downloaded onto the SD card it goes into the Clockwork Recovery Screen and Installs the ROM (In about 10Seconds) It completes fine (or so it says) but i never get the welcome screen, it takes me to the 2.1 screen but it is missing a TON of apps (gmail, market, others i cant remember off hand). Has anyone else seen issues like this? Did I maybe miss a step? I did make make a secesful backup of my phone before the attempt to load the new ROM so i am back to the way it was before. I would really like to use the Cyanogen ROM but dont want to keep having the same luck. (I did re do the entire process twice and got the same result)
  2. jmackxiii

jmackxiii New Member

Anyone have any helpful additions to this?
  3. xliderider

xliderider New Member

I installed using the nandroid backup file that was posted on alldroid.

You can also rename the cyanogen rom update.zip and install it using SPRecovery.
  4. roberj13

roberj13 New Member

It should take more than 10 seconds to install. So..do this.

-Go to the market.
    -Click Menu.
    - Click Downloads
    -See if there is an update to ROM Manager.
    -If there is download the update and install. (There was a new version sometime yesterday.
    -Open ROM Manager and click to flash ClockworkMod Recovery.
    -Click Download ROM.
    -Click 5.0.5.3 (newest stable version)
    -A dialog will come up that will say Google Apps with a check mark.
    -Select that check mark.
    -Hit OK.
    -The ROM will start downloading. (Expect about 10-15 min on 3g, about 5 on Wifi depending on your connection.)
    -When it's done downloading it will ask if you would like to back up existing ROM and if you would like to wipe data and cache.
    -I recommend clicking both boxes and hit OK.
    -Phone will reboot into recovery.
    -ClockworkMod will backup and install probably will take about 5 minutes to do both.

-Can't remember if it auto reboots when its done or will just go to the ClockworkMod menu. either case you are all done.
  5. jmackxiii

jmackxiii New Member

I am downloading this now from ROM manager... I did try to download just the ROM by this method and got the same result. I will post when the download is done.
  6. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

I would say that you downloaded the just the ROM part of the CyanogenMod ROM.

The ROM comes in like 2 parts, as you'll see while downloading deom ROM Manager. The other part of the package is the Google Apps. The developer has to include these separate for legal reasons. It is considered some illegal distributing/warez crap if they are included with the ROM for some reason. I know, makes no sense.

But, from what I gather about this, CyanogenMod ROMs are the only ROMs that do this. And the reason is that, CyanogenMod has been around so long in the Google/Android world, and has become so famous, that this technically illegal act would be noticed by Google and authorities. Other ROMs have not gained this much attention except for in these very forums and maybe a little across the web. CyanogenMod has become a sort of legend in the Android world since the first Android device, the G1.

But anyway, that's why the Google Apps are included separate.
  7. jmackxiii

jmackxiii New Member

Ok so the download finished. Phone rebooted to the recovery... got a message about cant load the cache... still no Cyanogen. Why would the video in the first post not mention anything about the google apps needing to be loaded/downloaded separate. Should i return to stock and try this all over again? I still have a backup of my system from before i tried all this?
  8. jmackxiii

jmackxiii New Member

Ok so i went to stock. Factory reset. Rooted with DMUpdater, ran ROM manager, flashed the clockwork, selected the zip file i placed on my sd card, chose wipe data and cache, hit ok and it does nothing.
  9. Humpa

Humpa New Member

This shouldn't be it, since I assume cyanogenmod's stuff is smart enough to check, but is your sdcard low on space? How much available space is on your sdcard?
  10. jmackxiii

jmackxiii New Member

Card space is not an issue.. about 10 gigs free
  11. Humpa

Humpa New Member

12. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

OK...not so much of an expert but I thought I'd take a whack at this. DM Updater is putting SPRecovery on your phone. Rom Manager wants to use Clockwork recovery. Is there a chance you are getting a conflict created by those two recovery systems? Why not just root it with Clockwork?

I went to Cyanogen from DroidMod, so I essentially went the same route your doing. It installed but I was not able to get into Google account to sign in.

I'd suggest doing a complete factory reset and then rooting and flashing with Clockwork or some other method (do they have a nandroid backup maybe?) straight to cyanogen.

Nate
  13. jmackxiii

jmackxiii New Member

well i was able to do a full factory reset... then re rooted with DM, the went to 5.0.4.2 with the video... i am DLing the latest Cyanogen 5.0.5.3 now. cross my fingers... worst comes to worse i sitll have backups of everything
  14. DFEKT

DFEKT New Member

I could solve that problem same thing happend to me now it installs all the way but when promted to login to gmail I can't and also can't start a new one I started a thread but no replys yet

If anyone can help send me a I'm aim
    Aim: dfekt
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  15. skourg3

skourg3 New Member

CM 5.0.4.x came with Google Apps; the separation came with 5.0.5.x. If you install 5.0.5.x through ROM Manager it prompts you with a check box for Google Apps; you want it checked. If you install it via Clockwork (you have to use Clockwork, and not SPRecovery), there is a separate .zip that must be applied AFTER you install the ROM but BEFORE you boot it for the first time or you will not have the standard apps (at least for 5.0.5, not sure if this was changed at all in 5.0.5.3). If nothing else, make sure you aren't getting the ROM .zip and Apps .zip confused in recovery; they are two separate files.
  16. machineheadg2r

machineheadg2r New Member

I flashed this last night using rom manager. Here's what I did:

-DL'd Rom Manager
    -Clicked Flash Clockwork
    -Clicked Backup Current Rom
    -DL'd Titanium
    -Used Titanium to backup all of my apps. Very good ap
    -Went back to ROM manager and chose Cyanogenmod
    -Clicked the check box for google apps
    -RM dl'd the rom then asked me to reboot
    -Rebooted but it didnt go to the clockwork screen, just the factory recovery console.
    -Tried again same result :(
    -Flashed clockwork in Rom Manager again
    -this time when it rebooted it worked fine!
    -dl'd titanium again and restored all my apps