Cyanogen Gets Salty About Missed OnePlus One Lollipop Update Deadline; Says, 'calm the f down'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
cyanogen-ceo-tweet-calm-the-f-down.png

It's another day, and another antagonizing post from the Cyanogen CEO, Kirt McMaster. An antsy OnePlus One owner was complaining about the fact that Cyanogen missed the planned deadline to bring Lollipop to the OnePlus one, and McMaster responded with the above Twitter post, suggesting people should "calm the f down."

OnePlus also shared that the problem wasn't that the update wasn't finished, but that it got stuck in the certification process longer than anticipated. This didn't seem to damper folks' impatience with wanting to get the update on their devices.

While it's an easy argument that owners should consider being a bit more patient with the update, it seems like McMaster could have handled it with more civility. Potentially alienating your fan-base with abrasive statements isn't the best way to engender good will. It seems like the Cyanogen CEO's brash behavior is becoming a habit. What do you think?

Source: Twitter

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
That's so professional from the CEO of a company supposedly worth 1 billion. I'm glad I moved away from CM a long time ago. Still a bunch of divas.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I have to say that it's very much what I expect from him. He's been a product of that type of environment, and his rise to fame has been fueled by the same types of posts both from him and others as the modus operandi. I'm glad we don't have that mentality here on DF. We owe it to the Administration and Super Moderators (i.e. the rest of the staff), since this is, and even during certain tensions and discussion remained a family friendly site. :)

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
McMaster needs a good head slap....

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can only tell a customer to go f' themselves ...wait he said "calm the f' down" (I don't want to misquote him here) so many times before you have no more customers.

Ill offer the CEO some advice.

Maybe do like Samsung and the other oems and use the language "coming soon" or "2nd qtr" instead of giving a date (OnePlus One to Get Lollipop at End of March Can Choose Between Cyanogen Oxygen OS Android Forum at DroidForums.net) that way when people look at their calendar and see that it is April and no lollipop they are not tweeting you asking questions. Just a thought.

Weird that Samsung, Moto, and HTC all kicked out lollipop to some of their devices and the one plus crowd is still waiting (minus those that are flashing nightlies).

Watch out their Google Cyanogen is coming to take your head off.

ZKKMe9J.gif

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
He should have waited a few more hours and then when he saw all the heat his tweet is getting online been like "April Fools! My mean tweet earlier was just a joke"

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It's a no-brainer that the response is bad for business, so I won't microanalyze the stupidity of doing that. However, I also see this story from another angle, which is: waaaaaaaay back with the OG Droid, we had Eclair and it was...well, it was kinda laggy and buggy. But it was still good because we didn't know what "buttery-smooth" felt like.

And then Google announced, "Wait! Froyo is coming!" and I VIVIDLY remember the utter, total, completely ridiculous insanity that my fellow humankind experienced. Forums FILLED with "WHEN IS IT COMING??/?!?!??!" "OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG I NEED FROYO!!!!!!" "GIVE ME FROYO NOW OR DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I don't think much has changed. Have we evolved as a species? NO. I've seen several venomous threads on VZW's Moto X forum about getting Lollipop. It's pretty depressing. I thought patience was a virtue.

I totally get it when a CEO says "calm down." Bad for business, but yeah I get it.

-Matt

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's a no-brainer that the response is bad for business, so I won't microanalyze the stupidity of doing that. However, I also see this story from another angle, which is: waaaaaaaay back with the OG Droid, we had Eclair and it was...well, it was kinda laggy and buggy. But it was still good because we didn't know what "buttery-smooth" felt like.

And then Google announced, "Wait! Froyo is coming!" and I VIVIDLY remember the utter, total, completely ridiculous insanity that my fellow humankind experienced. Forums FILLED with "WHEN IS IT COMING??/?!?!??!" "OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG I NEED FROYO!!!!!!" "GIVE ME FROYO NOW OR DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I don't think much has changed. Have we evolved as a species? NO. I've seen several venomous threads on VZW's Moto X forum about getting Lollipop. It's pretty depressing. I thought patience was a virtue.

I totally get it when a CEO says "calm down." Bad for business, but yeah I get it.

-Matt
Ah the froyo thread. Man I remember being on this forum with people going wild waiting. I have never seen a more busier thread than that. We literally broke the forum several times over. Make it better was it was before Tapatalk so some of us (me) were on our droids following the thread. I still remember typing on my droid and sitting it down waiting for the words to catch up (talk about lag). Yup those were some fond memories.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As far as the CEO, I am not saying he was not right. But as an executive treat the customer right. If they are asking about your product that mean they are interested.

The better response would have been along the line of

"First thank you for your interest in our software we here at Cyanogen strive to provide the best possible experience for our customers. Please accept our apologies for not having the software ready by the time we projected. We ran into a small issue and we want to get that fixed so that we push out a good product. We will push out the latest software as soon as we get the issue resolved. Thank you again and please continue following us as we will alert customers of the latest updates. Thanks again for being a valued customer."

For a billion dollar company that is not hard at all. And if you do not have the patience hire a customer relations team.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
The issue is the guy is full of himself.. He needs to settle down and attend to business..

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
And this is part of the reason I ditched CM years ago. Apart from it always being a bug ridden OS that is. Patience has never been on their sides and it seems he should really get someone else to interact with the public.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
And this is part of the reason I ditched CM years ago. Apart from it always being a bug ridden OS that is. Patience has never been on their sides and it seems he should really get someone else to interact with the public.
Yeah, there was a time where his entourage would make life hell for others. And instead of stepping up like a leader and doing the "we will not tolerate...." it was allowed to continue.

Yet again I am so glad I sent the one plus back given the reason I purchased it. No buyer's remorse here.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
The problem is when these 'lil guys' start growing they divert focus from what made their name and the product to raising money and crowd funding. Oh we raised $50M last week, ok but what did it accomplish, where's the product, where are the results? The answer is - same place as Sears, Kmart, Best Buy, soon to be McDonalds and CM...