Cyanogen Gets Salty About Missed OnePlus One Lollipop Update Deadline; Says, 'calm the f down'

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
So many posts, too tired to like them all...

Proclaiming Google the enemy wasn't enough for this expletive deleted? Now he has to tell customers to calm down rather than saying sorry, the certification process took longer than projected, here, have a pretty wallpaper on us? Nozzle of a feminine hygiene product, that's what he is.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not that I'd be happy if I was the one being told to calm the f down, but it's kinda in their nature. Cyanogen has long been a group of "renegades," doing what they want with the software when they want to. The claim that they're going to take android away from Google added fuel to that fire and so does this.

Will the comment alienate some of their users? Sure, but I don't think they'll see that anger manifest into users switching devices and/or less handsets sold. They're bold and brash. That's the renegade spirit.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
It sounds to me like they got way too big too fast (despite having been around for years) and the fame/fortune simply went to their heads, making an already self righteousness & pompous jerk even more so. I liken it to an unknown rapper or pop start making it big and suddenly they think all their millions now give them the right to treat everyone around them like sh!te.

S5 tap'n

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
unknown rapper or pop start making it big and suddenly they think all their millions now give them the right to treat everyone around them like sh!te.

Well that is what I plan on doing once I make it big. :p

Actually I am too afraid of the fall back down to pull that.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I kind of like his reply. :D I've long been tired of people whining about updates. I can only imagine how tired the OEM's are.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
The OEMs are more than happy to be done with an update and have it stall. It means they don't have to spend more money on the next upgrade until this one passes. OEMs don't get paid for the updates; that's all money out of pocket, and once a device reaches a certain age it's all over folks, even if it's capable of more. Think of a single dev and how much work they put into a ROM. Now multiply that by Samsung, throw in how much salary the coders are being paid, a manager for the code monkeys who does little more than sit in an office smelling his/her own farts, etc. The coders aren't idle when the OEM is waiting for its latest update to bleed through Verizon's abattoir of (dis)approval, so why not have them working on the latest replaced-in-six-months flagship's software instead of drinking redbull on the company dime?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's his fault for not hitting a promised deadline, then acts like a child when someone calls him out on it. I hope to God, I pray, pray, pray, that he has to work for someone else in the future at some point. You can't just miss a deadline and cuss people out.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The OEMs are more than happy to be done with an update and have it stall. It means they don't have to spend more money on the next upgrade until this one passes. OEMs don't get paid for the updates; that's all money out of pocket, and once a device reaches a certain age it's all over folks, even if it's capable of more. Think of a single dev and how much work they put into a ROM. Now multiply that by Samsung, throw in how much salary the coders are being paid, a manager for the code monkeys who does little more than sit in an office smelling his/her own farts, etc. The coders aren't idle when the OEM is waiting for its latest update to bleed through Verizon's abattoir of (dis)approval, so why not have them working on the latest replaced-in-six-months flagship's software instead of drinking redbull on the company dime?

Your comment is why I actually pull for developers like Cyanogen. When oems give up on us, especially during the Galaxy S1 period where phone manufacturers would kick out a phone with a locked bootloader with no intent to update it, roms help extend the life of the phone. I would be remissed to point out what the devs have done in providing an option for customers to get updates. Say what you may about the software but many other devs have built upon it (CM). I personally prefer Scott's Roms and he is one of the few devs I donated to because he just put out good roms without the drama but this thread is not about him. People in his circles (CM) by now know what is what and I would not be surprised if the guy who got the tweet was ok with it. As a company like one plus and other phone manufacturers putting the software on their future phones I would cringe. But all in all majority of the people looking for those phones are part of that circle and they are cool with that talk. It just is not suitable for everyone else and could be what keeps them from growing beyond their inner circle. I personally did a 180 on buying a Cyanogen phone, as it was a month ago I was talking to @Jeffrey about it.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Don't get me wrong here. Independent developers do more to innovate than the OEMs do when it comes to the software front. Look at Samsung's hiring Cyanogen. Software on Samsung phones improved dramatically! Then he left the company and Samsung turned back into another all-about-the-hype Android OEM.

I just think that the OEMs need to suck it up and realize that they have to support their hardware for at least 2 years, and independents need to suck it up and realize they are being held to as high, if not higher, a standard as the OEMs.

And any corporation that tells an individual or, frankly, half if not most of their customer base to "calm the f down" -- independent or otherwise -- should be held accountable.