Cyanogen Gets Salty About Missed OnePlus One Lollipop Update Deadline; Says, 'calm the f down'

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Apr 1, 2015.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

It's another day, and another antagonizing post from the Cyanogen CEO, Kirt McMaster. An antsy OnePlus One owner was complaining about the fact that Cyanogen missed the planned deadline to bring Lollipop to the OnePlus one, and McMaster responded with the above Twitter post, suggesting people should "calm the f down."

OnePlus also shared that the problem wasn't that the update wasn't finished, but that it got stuck in the certification process longer than anticipated. This didn't seem to damper folks' impatience with wanting to get the update on their devices.

While it's an easy argument that owners should consider being a bit more patient with the update, it seems like McMaster could have handled it with more civility. Potentially alienating your fan-base with abrasive statements isn't the best way to engender good will. It seems like the Cyanogen CEO's brash behavior is becoming a habit. What do you think?

Source: Twitter

• Like Like x 1
  2. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,829
    Twitter:
    jstaff79
    That's so professional from the CEO of a company supposedly worth 1 billion. I'm glad I moved away from CM a long time ago. Still a bunch of divas.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    I have to say that it's very much what I expect from him. He's been a product of that type of environment, and his rise to fame has been fueled by the same types of posts both from him and others as the modus operandi. I'm glad we don't have that mentality here on DF. We owe it to the Administration and Super Moderators (i.e. the rest of the staff), since this is, and even during certain tensions and discussion remained a family friendly site. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,034
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    McMaster needs a good head slap....

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. LoneWolfArcher

LoneWolfArcher Silver Member

Ratings:
    +627
    Well, now that is a professional response......

• Like Like x 1
  6. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +6,240
    You can only tell a customer to go f' themselves ...wait he said "calm the f' down" (I don't want to misquote him here) so many times before you have no more customers.

Ill offer the CEO some advice.

Maybe do like Samsung and the other oems and use the language "coming soon" or "2nd qtr" instead of giving a date (OnePlus One to Get Lollipop at End of March Can Choose Between Cyanogen Oxygen OS Android Forum at DroidForums.net) that way when people look at their calendar and see that it is April and no lollipop they are not tweeting you asking questions. Just a thought.

Weird that Samsung, Moto, and HTC all kicked out lollipop to some of their devices and the one plus crowd is still waiting (minus those that are flashing nightlies).

Watch out their Google Cyanogen is coming to take your head off.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. gflam

gflam Developer
    Theme Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +27
    He should have waited a few more hours and then when he saw all the heat his tweet is getting online been like "April Fools! My mean tweet earlier was just a joke"

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. wicked

wicked Administrator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,740
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    @MikeAlvez
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Senior Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    It's a no-brainer that the response is bad for business, so I won't microanalyze the stupidity of doing that. However, I also see this story from another angle, which is: waaaaaaaay back with the OG Droid, we had Eclair and it was...well, it was kinda laggy and buggy. But it was still good because we didn't know what "buttery-smooth" felt like.

And then Google announced, "Wait! Froyo is coming!" and I VIVIDLY remember the utter, total, completely ridiculous insanity that my fellow humankind experienced. Forums FILLED with "WHEN IS IT COMING??/?!?!??!" "OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG I NEED FROYO!!!!!!" "GIVE ME FROYO NOW OR DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I don't think much has changed. Have we evolved as a species? NO. I've seen several venomous threads on VZW's Moto X forum about getting Lollipop. It's pretty depressing. I thought patience was a virtue.

I totally get it when a CEO says "calm down." Bad for business, but yeah I get it.

-Matt

• Like Like x 1
  10. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +6,240
    Ah the froyo thread. Man I remember being on this forum with people going wild waiting. I have never seen a more busier thread than that. We literally broke the forum several times over. Make it better was it was before Tapatalk so some of us (me) were on our droids following the thread. I still remember typing on my droid and sitting it down waiting for the words to catch up (talk about lag). Yup those were some fond memories.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +6,240
    As far as the CEO, I am not saying he was not right. But as an executive treat the customer right. If they are asking about your product that mean they are interested.

The better response would have been along the line of

"First thank you for your interest in our software we here at Cyanogen strive to provide the best possible experience for our customers. Please accept our apologies for not having the software ready by the time we projected. We ran into a small issue and we want to get that fixed so that we push out a good product. We will push out the latest software as soon as we get the issue resolved. Thank you again and please continue following us as we will alert customers of the latest updates. Thanks again for being a valued customer."

For a billion dollar company that is not hard at all. And if you do not have the patience hire a customer relations team.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,034
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    The issue is the guy is full of himself.. He needs to settle down and attend to business..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Search tags for this page

cyanogen inc ceo calm the f- down