[CWM] Bootstrap app officially released for the Bionic

wseyller

Reaction score
I tried the volume wake mod and i did a nandroid before hand but after I did the changes for the mod it was stuck at the dual core screen so I tried to reboot into recovery but it wouldn't let me boot into CMR instead it woukd bring me to motorola's recovery. Is there another method that will get me to CMR? Anyways I had to flash the sbf to get my phone working again

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

When a particular rom does not have these options when holding the power button, I use an app called Quick Boot. It has an option to boot directly into recovery.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

kdwisdom

Reaction score
Running a backup now!

Any estimates on when you think there will be some added customizations as a result of this?

And one more question: what exactly does a locked bootloader prevent? I've heard custom roms still work you just can't change the kernel. What's the significance?

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Any estimates on when you think there will be some added customizations as a result of this?

And one more question: what exactly does a locked bootloader prevent? I've heard custom roms still work you just can't change the kernel. What's the significance?

Some people say you can't overclock, but the Droid X had a locked bootloader, and you could.

wseyller

Reaction score
kernel access helps devs to fine tune or maximize hardware potential.

It really is not a big deal in the short term. The biggest issue will be later down the road when updates are no longer release by Motorola. The phone will then be stuck on an older kernel. A new os or new features that require an updated kernel will not be usable.

If it wasn't for the unlocked bootloader in the D1, I don't think we would have seen Gingerbread roms.

Last edited:

mikedav1

Reaction score
Is there a way to boot directly into recovery like after a battery pull. I looked and could not find this info. No kb to hold X down. I use quickboot as well, but you have to running to use it. Thanks.

wseyller

Reaction score
Trying holding up and down volume buttons and press power. That got me into the stock recovery. I image it would be the same for custom recovery.

levi2502

Reaction score
I did the whole pressing the up and down button at the same time after rooted with custom recovery installed. No good. Maybe did it wrong but still. I was wondering the same thing after modifying the Bionic. Maybe there will be a fix for this soon. Otherwise I think you'll have to do a full "SBF" install if you have a bad ROM install. Please anyone correct me if I am wrong... just give me the instructions on how to do it without the reflash!

OP
Berzerker

Berzerker

Reaction score
I did the whole pressing the up and down button at the same time after rooted with custom recovery installed. No good. Maybe did it wrong but still. I was wondering the same thing after modifying the Bionic. Maybe there will be a fix for this soon. Otherwise I think you'll have to do a full "SBF" install if you have a bad ROM install. Please anyone correct me if I am wrong... just give me the instructions on how to do it without the reflash!
Make sure you're holding the volume buttons *before* you press the power button, and hold it until you see the menu.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score

Did u open the app and select bootstrap recovery? This is what flashes the recovery, ur phone should reset and the recovery should ask for root access. If I did all this then I would try it again, there could have been a glitch in the process.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

levi2502

Reaction score
I did, I ended up getting into the standard Android recovery. Where it pulls up the little exclamation mark inside of the triangle next to the little Droid fella. Then when I push up and down again it goes to Android System Recovery (3e) with the options reboot system now, apply update from sd card (which could keep me from re flashing so I figured that out) wipe data/factory reset, and wipe cache partition. It doesn't give me all of the options that the CWM based recovery V4.0.1.5 has. The only way I've been able to get into Bootstrap Recovery is to open the app and select "Reboot Recovery". Do I need to re download the apk and re-install? Or is that the only way to reboot into Clockwork as opposed to Android recovery? Thanks for the help!!!