cutom roms and reception

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by EvilWays, Feb 22, 2010.

1. EvilWays

EvilWays New Member

is it me or do some roms seems to use the radio better than others?
  2. metalmenance

metalmenance New Member

ive been looking for an answer to this myself, i like the bb roms but it does seem to give me a lower signal strength than with adamz, also new 2.1 roms out are not as strong for me
    anyone else with this issue? to me it sucks cause the stock rom was the best full bar all the time for me
  3. Grey Hawk

Grey Hawk New Member

Ill second this. BB ROMS do give a lesser signal than stock. Makes me rage.
  4. NeverEndingXsin

NeverEndingXsin New Member

really? i havent noticed this. make sure to do *228 and press "1" then again and press "2". and i think pete fixed the issue in one of his previous versions
  5. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

^+ run your PRN update...
    Pete has specifically stated that he does NOT do anything to the stock radio on his ROMs so that means it gets THE SAME reception as the stock ROM. I can't speak to other ROMs but as far as I've seen there aren't really any other radios available. Now the signal 'indicator(s)' may differ (i.e. showing the bars) but the radio and thus the actual reception is the same. Now what WILL effect your reception is a number of local factors including VZW working on towers in your area and the load on the tower(s). Not to mention weather and other radio signals.

Edit: Also remember that the normal/standard signal meter that shows in your notification bar (when you're NOT on a call) is the 3G (i.e. Data) signal strength. It's been so long since I've used the stock ROM I can't remember how it functioned but with many of the cooked ROMs (included the new BB) when you activate the phone it shows you a new meter for the voice network. Pete commented on this on his BB thread yesterday after many of us were asking the same question(s).
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  6. metalmenance

metalmenance New Member

I see your points, have done *228 after each rom
    however i loaded virgin rom, signal was great, then loaded petes rom right after and signal went down big time so if same radio then im not sure what is affecting it cause it does change it
  7. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Interesting. Several people on the BB thread have posted similar but I haven't noticed myself. Are you experiencing actual reception differences (i.e. actual in-call quality or connection speed differences). Could be that the ROMs show/display the signal strength differently (i.e. different thresholds for what the bars represent in regards to signal strength). I thought I saw a difference yesterday (after flashing v1) but it must have just been the weather or a tower issue because today every was back to normal.

I've not run a stock ROM for so long I can't remember how many bars I used to get. I know I see no noticeable difference in call quality or data speeds though.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  8. justicw

justicw New Member

can you take out the idiot part LOL I don't wana vote because I don't want to call someone an idiot :)
  9. EvilWays

EvilWays New Member

I hear what your sayig about the disply bars. but i have also noticed my phone going into 1x instead of 3g places where before it was 4 bars and solid 3g... lot of debate on this subject huh?
  10. EvilWays

EvilWays New Member

dude seriously, all my friends do it... then they ask me to mod their psps, root their droids, jailbreak their iphones etc...