cut & paste?

Gulfsurfer

Reaction score
I looked all over for a keyboard layout diagram to show me where I might find the ctrl and alt keys...anyone know where they are hidden or mapped to another key? I need the ctrl key especially to cut & paste in docs and messages.

thx

warrenglen

Reaction score
The menu key (soft key to next to home) doubles as "ctrl"
1. Highlight the text you want to copy
2. Hold [Menu] + c (copy) or x (cut)
3. Hold [Menu] + v (paste)

TC_Mits

Reaction score

I have seen posts saying that the ctrl cut & paste options are gone. Useful post. Thank you!

Is there any document, like a manual or instructions or a guide, where these secrets can be learned?

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

OP
G

Gulfsurfer

Reaction score

Oh...ok, the "Android" HOME key and the "Android MENU" key...thx a bunch...works!

How do you get the ALT function?

chefboyardee

Reaction score

Awesome tip, thank you!

Any idea how to replicate "Alt+Left" or "Alt+Right" or "Alt+Backspace" to jump to beginning or end of a line, or delete an entire line? That's been driving me nuts since going from D1 to D4. I didn't realize how often I used that until it was gone.

warrenglen

Reaction score
Awesome tip, thank you!

Any idea how to replicate "Alt+Left" or "Alt+Right" or "Alt+Backspace" to jump to beginning or end of a line, or delete an entire line? That's been driving me nuts since going from D1 to D4. I didn't realize how often I used that until it was gone.

While not a perfect solution, a work around is simply holding down [shift] while hitting up on the arrow button. It works well for what it does.

Also, you have [menu] + a for select all.

Be aware that these menu tips may not work if ur using an alternative keyboard to Multi-touch. In those cases you may need to install a free app called "Keyboard Manager" which will allow you to have your favorite keyboard for portrait (SwiftKey X is my preferred) and have it automatically switch to Multi-touch when using the hardware keyboard. I've been using this app for well over a year and it's been great!

The ease of typing and manipulating text (while maintaining 100% screen real estate) is the main reason why I choose the D4 over a keyboardless phone. It baffles my mind how people can type constructive sentences with a touchscreen phone... I seriously considered buying the MAXX but I know I would've cringed every time I had to type out a message longer than "LOL".

chefboyardee

Reaction score
While not a perfect solution, a work around is simply holding down [shift] while hitting up on the arrow button. It works well for what it does.

GENIUS! THANK YOU! While it's one extra keypress (Shift+Up, then Left, to act as a "Home" key without selecting) compared to Alt+Left, this is EXACTLY what I wanted and you just saved me a ton of time over the course of the life of this phone, and now I don't have to mess with remapping my hardware keys as this will work well enough for me.

It baffles my mind how people can type constructive sentences with a touchscreen phone

You and me both, my friend. I spent the last 3-4 months of my D1's life trying to get used to an on-screen keyboard so I could get a Nexus. I tried, I really did. Not only was I significantly slower, but I made way more mistakes. Even with Swype, I'm fast, but nothing like how I am on the physical keyboard. Also, I really like being able to type without looking. And the keyboard shortcuts are something I can't be without.

Pick up phone > Slide open > Soft Search+G = Gmail. Then soft menu+C to compose a new message. So convenient...I have a shortcut for every letter key available and I couldn't imagine living without them.

I'll be a slider guy until they refuse to make them anymore (which I hope never happens).

tempsaint

Reaction score
I should have read that this only works with the slider keyboard.
Nice tips!

warrenglen

Reaction score
Pick up phone > Slide open > Soft Search+G = Gmail. Then soft menu+C to compose a new message. So convenient...I have a shortcut for every letter key available and I couldn't imagine living without them.

I'll be a slider guy until they refuse to make them anymore (which I hope never happens).

EXCELLENT TIP chefboyardee!

OK I will admit that I know about (and regularly use) the search+key shortcuts which I will agree is very convenient for multitasking... BUT I had no idea about the Menu shortcuts working in Gmail! Now the funny thing is that I knew menu shortcuts work in other apps like Dolphin but I just never put 2+2 together and tried it in gmail LOL. So thank you for teaching me something new to enjoy about having a physical keyboard!

BTW I too was considering the nexus but when it finally released and I went to vzw to test it out I made wayyy too many mistakes for me to commit to purchase. I seriously think there is something wrong with my fingers/brain because I just don't get how people do it.

riffraff

Reaction score
Droid rookie checking in here. I've read the above, but still don't know how to highlight a URL or other, than copy and paste.

ricpdjrr

Reaction score

When I hold down the shift key and hit arrow up it will put the curser one lie up with the text selected.. is that correct??? This is not the same as home or end??? What am I doing wrong?? I have multi touch keyboard selected and am using the hard keyboard? ??

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

warrenglen

Reaction score
When I hold down the shift key and hit arrow up it will put the curser one lie up with the text selected.. is that correct??? This is not the same as home or end??? What am I doing wrong?? I have multi touch keyboard selected and am using the hard keyboard? ??

Yes that is correct. It does not initially bring you home, it simply selects the text one line up from where the cursor is. I do find this useful when editing text. However, if you keep pressing up you will eventually go home once you reach the top.