Customizing Lock Screen

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy S4' started by PatG, May 23, 2013.

1. PatG

PatG Member

Ratings:
    +2
    So for some reason I can't customize the lock screen. Going into Settings -> Lock Screen -> Lock screen widgets there is nothing to set up.

Is this a Verizon "special" or am I missing something??

2. BLeClair12

BLeClair12 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    From what I've played around with, it's sort of strange. You activate the feature in your lock screen settings, but the actual customization occurs on the lock screen itself.

Try going to your lock screen and swiping over the clock, rather than the empty space. That should bring up editable squares and allow you to toggle between lock screens and add the appropriate widgets.

3. PatG

PatG Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I must not get it. Lock screen is enabled, but trying to swipe the clock does not do anything. All I get is a message to put in my PIN. Swiping down on the clock opens up a large empty screen in which *maybe* apps can go?

4. themuttt

themuttt Member

Ratings:
    +3
    swipe down from the clock, that should give you the area to customize

edit: then swipe to the left and you can add widgets

5. jtcsifl

jtcsifl Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I picked mine up yesterday evening and spent about 2 hours setting up & playing around but couldn't figure out how to change the lock screen image other than those built into the phone.....

6. themuttt

themuttt Member

Ratings:
    +3
    unlock phone, long press on open space, tap wallpapers, there you have the option of changing the lock screen

7. PatG

PatG Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, it works fine when the phone is unlocked. However, if you have a PIN set it does not work. I guess that makes sense, since you can unlock and then just hit the camera icon

8. DevonM

DevonM Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I think "lock" screen widgets only work if you don't lock your phone. As in, you can't have a password or pattern or whatever, it has to be "unlocked" to be able to use them.
    Pretty lame IMO.

9. PatG

PatG Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I would agree. You could have just swipe to certain functions (i.e. camera, texting) then go back to the lock screen after being done with the app.

10. DevonM

DevonM Member

Ratings:
    +2
    And to avoid the obvious: "Well if you can add widgets to the lock screen what's to stop people from accessing things that you don't want them to without them having to unlock your phone?"
    Just have a menu in the options to allow/disallow specific apps/widgets, and then they won't show up on the lock screen add menu as something that's available.
    For example, I personally wouldn't want someone to be able to go into my texts without having my permission to unlock my phone, but something like a camera or the weather or a shortcut to a game even could be cool.

11. themuttt

themuttt Member

Ratings:
    +3
    but then the gallery would be open to people

12. DevonM

DevonM Member

Ratings:
    +2
    If you disable the Gallery app, clicking on the thumbnail while in the camera doesn't open up. There could easily be a feature where if you click the thumbnail it goes to the unlock screen before you can continue.

Also, I absolutely despise the built-in gallery, there's no way to choose what folders you want to have show up. It's completely stupid. I might want to show someone my pictures, but there's no time I want every single image on my phone to be displayed.
    I'm glad I can replace it with QuickPic, I just wish it was more thorough in its integration with the rest of the phone, for example the camera thumbnails...

I'm hoping in a few weeks or months once there's some nice software and support I can root it and get a lot more functionality like that. And I can't wait to get rid of all the excess crap...

Search tags for this page
change lock screen picture galaxy s4
change lock screen wallpaper galaxy s4
change samsung galaxy s4 lock screen wallpaper
change verizon s4 swipe screen picture
galaxy s4 change lock screen wallpaper
galaxy s4 lock screen wallpaper wont change

galaxy s4 move clock on lock screen

how to change lock screen background on galaxy s4

how to change lock screen picture on galaxy s4

how to change lockscreen wallpaper s4