Customized ringtones

joeygirl

Reaction score
On my old Motorola Droid I used to be able to assign custom ringtones for friends. I was able to use songs as ringtones so that when I would hear a particular song I would know who was calling automatically. I can't figure out how to do this on my new Razr. Any ideas?

Slayers

Reaction score
Go into the contact click on the menu button and check options there it will show ring tone. It will also let you select if you don't like that person to send it directly to voicemail

OP
J

joeygirl

Reaction score
I found that but it only show the Motorola ringtones. I think it might be the way I get my music. Can't remember but on my old music I would have the option to use a song as a ringtone. Can't figure it out on this one.

Slayers

Reaction score
I use Zedge and it shows all the song I have downloaded when open it maybe you need to move the songs you want to use into the ring tone folder

OP
J

joeygirl

Reaction score
This is going to sound REALLY stupid, but how would I do that? I have the songs, how do I get them into ringtone folder.

Slayers

Reaction score
do you have full songs or are they already cut into ring length?

Slayers

Reaction score
Someone might be able to tell you more but I don't believe you can use full songs for ringtones. There is a program in the market call ring droid that will take your music and cut it down to ringtones you might want to try that for now or maybe someone will come along and tell you other wise.

OP
J

joeygirl

Reaction score
Thanks so much. Will try it and see if any other suggestions come. Again, really appreciate your response.

JP 5.56

Reaction score
Here is what you do.

Open up the Files browser app that came on the phone then find the following folder:
Internal Phone Storage > Media > Audio

Create a new folder in the audio folder called: ringtones

Save anything you want to use as a ringtone in that folder. It will then be available as a selection along with all the stock system ringers. You will be able to use full length songs here.

Alternatively you might look at Ringdroid. I've not used it, but I hear it is awesome.

Edit to add: you might also be able to do the same thing on the SD card instead of internal storage: SDCard/Media/Audio/Ringtones

JP 5.56

Reaction score
You got it!

I had to do the same on my old phone and it just reminded me of the process when I found this post.

What it does not fix is the seeming lack of ability to add a ringer from inside the music app.

OP
J

joeygirl

Reaction score
Thank you so much, worked like a charm. The old music thing was better though because you could choose to use it as a ringtone right from there. :hail:

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yup, RingDroid - hands down the best custom ringtone application on android :)