Customize My Phone To Be Useful To Me - Is It Possible?

zunebuggy

Reaction score
I have a Droid Bionic running Android Version 4.1.2 and System version 98.72.22.XT875.Verizon.en.US

Here is what I would like my phone to do and what I do not want it to do.

1. I do not want it to add my Facebook contacts or any of my gmail or other email contacts. - My phone seems to do this automatically and this is the worst. I have 18 people I want in my contacts and that is it. The other people I can contact through Facebook and I would never call, text or email them. I did a hard reset of my phone to purge the 800+ contacts that were auto-added (I cannot begin to tell you how many were duplicates) and a few hours later... WHAM! They were all back without me telling my phone to add them.

2. I do not want back-up assistance to backup all these 800+ contacts. I also do not want it to backup my apps. 9 times out of 10, I install an app and end up not liking it or it slows down my phone are spams me with pop-up ads. After doing a hard reset this is exactly what happened.

3. I DO want, for my 18 contacts, to have a custom ringtone play for when they call, a short notification for when they text and another short notification when they email. Maybe a custom notification to0 (for about 5 of my contacts) to let me know if they are available for chat. I have all these ringtones picked out and saved but I cannot figure out how to get them to work. They seem to occasionally work and then sometimes they do not and I do not know why.

4. I DO want a ringtone that is for everyone else that calls. I really like to know just by listening if I have to pick up my phone or not.

5. I DO want a good app that will use my GPS location to determine if I am at work, home, movie theater, doctors, etc... and adjust my volume automatically. I will NEVER remember to do this at each place. Does anyone know a good app that does this. I had one called GPS Volume but it seems to be hit an miss, is slow to respond to my location change AND the worst part is when I set a new location, instead of just using my current GPS location it makes me zoom into a map and find the location. Why can't it just get my current GPS coordinates. I understand the map is useful if you are pre-setting a location that you are not currently at...

ANYWAY, All of these item would make my phone so useful to me. I know I want/ask a lot, but I pay a lot for my phone, so I expect it to work and make my life easier. I wrote all this stuff down before and asked a Verizon store associate if all this was possible and his response was that "All that technology you are asking for there doesn't exist yet." and "wouldn't we all love that?" but I have a feeling this IS doable and that he just was not very knowledgeable. I admit I am not knowledgeable about what my phone can do and how to make it do it. I read the manual and still and clueless.

newbroot83

Reaction score
I have a Droid Bionic running Android Version 4.1.2 and System version 98.72.22.XT875.Verizon.en.US

Here is what I would like my phone to do and what I do not want it to do.

1. I do not want it to add my Facebook contacts or any of my gmail or other email contacts. - My phone seems to do this automatically and this is the worst. I have 18 people I want in my contacts and that is it. The other people I can contact through Facebook and I would never call, text or email them. I did a hard reset of my phone to purge the 800+ contacts that were auto-added (I cannot begin to tell you how many were duplicates) and a few hours later... WHAM! They were all back without me telling my phone to add them.

2. I do not want back-up assistance to backup all these 800+ contacts. I also do not want it to backup my apps. 9 times out of 10, I install an app and end up not liking it or it slows down my phone are spams me with pop-up ads. After doing a hard reset this is exactly what happened.

3. I DO want, for my 18 contacts, to have a custom ringtone play for when they call, a short notification for when they text and another short notification when they email. Maybe a custom notification to0 (for about 5 of my contacts) to let me know if they are available for chat. I have all these ringtones picked out and saved but I cannot figure out how to get them to work. They seem to occasionally work and then sometimes they do not and I do not know why.

4. I DO want a ringtone that is for everyone else that calls. I really like to know just by listening if I have to pick up my phone or not.

5. I DO want a good app that will use my GPS location to determine if I am at work, home, movie theater, doctors, etc... and adjust my volume automatically. I will NEVER remember to do this at each place. Does anyone know a good app that does this. I had one called GPS Volume but it seems to be hit an miss, is slow to respond to my location change AND the worst part is when I set a new location, instead of just using my current GPS location it makes me zoom into a map and find the location. Why can't it just get my current GPS coordinates. I understand the map is useful if you are pre-setting a location that you are not currently at...

ANYWAY, All of these item would make my phone so useful to me. I know I want/ask a lot, but I pay a lot for my phone, so I expect it to work and make my life easier. I wrote all this stuff down before and asked a Verizon store associate if all this was possible and his response was that "All that technology you are asking for there doesn't exist yet." and "wouldn't we all love that?" but I have a feeling this IS doable and that he just was not very knowledgeable. I admit I am not knowledgeable about what my phone can do and how to make it do it. I read the manual and still and clueless.

1. You can choose not to sync contacts across facebook or your email accounts. Gmail will be the hardest. When you install facebook and sign in for the first time it will ask you what to sync.

2. If you go to accounts, you can turn off backup assistant

3.you should be able to choose your ringtones from your music player. If not try zedge and see if your ringtones are available there. That app makes it realy simple to apply ringtones

4.zedge will take care of this as well

5.not sure at all about this one. I always just change mine as I need to manually

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

OP
Z

zunebuggy

Reaction score
Thank you. For #4 and #5 I was not clear enough. I already have the ringtones and notifications saved. I can only set one ringtone for all calls. I want a different ringtone for each contact I have notification tones (many I did find on Zedge or various sources) saved and ready to assign for notifying me if I have a text message from a specific contact and the same thing for emails. The problem is I cannot figure out how I can set this per contact.

This is the best way I can explain it: For example, if I had a contact named Bob Smith. Imagine I recorded 4 mp3s that said "Call from Bob Smith". Then a recording that said "Text Message from Bob Smith". Then a recording that said "Email from Bob Smith" and one that said "Bob Smith is available for chat.". Then I wanted to assign each of these to their phone function (i.e. first one as a ringtone, second as text message notification, and so on). Then imagine I did this for each contact. This would make my phone so useful to me like it should be. I am not going to make actual recordings that say "Call from Bob Smith..." instead I have ringtones and notifications that if I heard them, I know who they are assigned to and what function they represent. This is what I do not know how to set up. Without this, my phone is a paperweight. I don't have time in my day to look at my phone every time it rings. I'm sorry but I don't. I know this can be done, I have heard people at work do this. I want to know just by listening, do I have a call, a text, a email and from who.

Also without the GPS volume control, my phone is a brick. If I had to attend to my phone as much as I currently do (vol up, vol down, checking whos calling, texting, emailing, etc....) then I might as well get rid of it or get an iPhone which I know does have these features and is way easier to use than this brick.

Thank you

newbroot83

Reaction score
You should have 2 settings for ringtones. One should be contact and the other phone. Phone will apply a single ringtone for everyone that doesnt have a custom ringtone assigned

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2

See if SMARTACTIONS will work on your phone.

newbroot83

Reaction score
Its in the play store right?

FZDolfan

Reaction score
If you have no interest in Google/gmail contacts being in sync, I'm wondering why you bought an android phone? Using android with no desire to sync Google is like buying an iPhone with no intention of using Apple/iTunes.
Btw, you could create a faux gmail solely for the purpose of storing your 18 contacts that would always be backed up and in sync.

Sent from Tapatalk on my GS3