Customization Questions

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by rsandre, Dec 28, 2009.

1. rsandre

rsandre New Member

Hey, everyone's input helps

1 - Am I limited to the pictures I take on my phone, the default phone pictures and whatever wallpapers there are on the market to use as my background? Am I able to use a google image as a background?

2-Is there a way to get a different wallpaper for my locked screen than my homescreen wallpaper?

3-Am I able to download/use icon themes without downloading HOme++ or gde or whatever? Or do I need to download some sort of Home Application?

4 - Is it normal for apps like setting and messaging to constantly be running? They always automatically appear after it says I kill all selected apps in my advanced taskkiller.

5-When I go into options>applications>running services --is it normal for the android keyboard to be running at all times?
  2. pandroid

pandroid Theme Developer Theme Developer

1 - no and yes. once you find an image youd like to use as your background, on your droids browser, long press and save it. there are also many apps in the market which allow you to find and use backgrounds. just search for "wallpaper" or "background" in the market

2-not that i know of

3-yes, download "Bettercut"

4 - yes, perfectly normal. the apps will not use up your resources and it allows the app to open up faster. its just being stored in your random access memory. if android needs more, it will close the app by itself freeing up the memory

5-yes, see number 4

edited for spelling
  3. rsandre

rsandre New Member

Pandroid, are there any free ones?
  4. pandroid

pandroid Theme Developer Theme Developer

wallpaper apps? yep, theres a bunch. theres apps for specific wallpapers, like girls or christmas or disney. theres also apps for all categories. some even allow you to submit your own. in my opinion those are the best cause you find wallpapers people actually use.
  5. Berzerker

Berzerker New Member

The correct answer to 1 is no. Just put any picture you want into a folder within the DCIM folder on your SDCard, it will get recognized in the Gallery once you dismount it and you can set it as your wallpaper.

as for free icon editing apps, I don't believe there are any.
  6. rsandre

rsandre New Member

Berzerker, so I just went to google and saved an image..It saved it as a JPG file (if that is of importance..). Where do I go to find that image? How do I save images into my DCIM folder on my SDCard? And is dismounting (Unmounting I think is what the Droid gives me the option to do) a bad idea?
  7. Berzerker

Berzerker New Member

Bring down the notification window when you connect your phone and tap where it says "Select to copy files to/from your computer." then "Mount." The SDCard will show up on your computer as a drive. Find the DCIM folder on the SDCard and create a new folder inside of it (you can name it anything). Put the picture within the newly created folder. Then when it's done copying, bring down the notification window again and tap "Select to turn off USB storage." then "Turn Off." It will say "Preparing SD Card" and then when that goes away, go into the Gallery and your picture should show up after a while (it may take about a minute for the gallery to refresh.)
  8. rsandre

rsandre New Member

THank you Berzerker for your help. I ended up dragging the pictures to the thumbnails folder in the dcim folder instead of making a new folder then putting them in the new folder. We're all good, so no worries
  9. Berzerker

Berzerker New Member

That works too. Glad to be of help.