Custome text ringtone

jlang11

Reaction score
Hi, new here, just got my Droid last week. This phone is fricken awesome!! Done a lot of reading here and thank you all for your help.

I have downloaded ringtones (that ive made and had for years, in mp3 format) to the card, and have them set to ring for various people in my contacts, but unlike the RAZR, the default ringtone doesnt ring when that person sends you a text. Ive dowloaded SMS Popup and have the light set to blink a different color for certain people but the custom ringtone isnt listed in the list that you can assign. Just the stock ones.

Any ideas how to get the ringtones Ive moved to the card to the phone so they can be set to default text ringtone, or how to just get them to be used form the card??

Thanks in advance.

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing. I'd like to have custom ring tones for when someone in my contacts sends me a text.

TIA :) for any help on this.

seang

Reaction score
handcent sms will do that.
find it in the app store

nkcavs23

Reaction score
ringdroid will do everything you need. just save as whatever, notification (texts), alarm, ringtone, whatever.

OP
J

jlang11

Reaction score
U can do it with Zedge

Im not seeing how unless i have to dl the ringtone from Zedge in order to do it.... I already have the ringtone I want to use... it just doesnt appear in the list for text notifications, only the stock ringtones...

Laramie

Reaction score
find it in the app store

I've got Handcent, cool app, but I don't see in it's tool settings how to set ringtones. Can you explain, please?
TIA

after a person texts you, when you have that screen open with the texts from that person, (as if you just opened a new text), there's a button top right, looks like a person's shape and a what looks like a gear, tap that, it brings up "personalization", then you can customize the sounds, led notification, and how the actual threaded texts appear JUST for that specific contact.

Laramie

Reaction score
U can do it with Zedge

Im not seeing how unless i have to dl the ringtone from Zedge in order to do it.... I already have the ringtone I want to use... it just doesnt appear in the list for text notifications, only the stock ringtones...

when you usb-mount the droid, create a folder on the SD card called "notifications" then dump all the mp3s there. I did this and it's been flawless.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
find it in the app store

I've got Handcent, cool app, but I don't see in it's tool settings how to set ringtones. Can you explain, please?
TIA

open Handcent
menu key
settings
notifications setting
select default ringtone
ok/cancel
back
back
should be at a list of people you have sent a message to.
select a person to see their message thread
top right corner there is a gear icon, select this
notification settings
(notice their name is at the top of the screen now)
select ringtone
ok/cancel
go back to the main setting to confirm your original default ringtone is the same still
have them text you to confirm the ringtone is set for them.

OP
J

jlang11

Reaction score
ringdroid will do everything you need. just save as whatever, notification (texts), alarm, ringtone, whatever.

obviously. the guy who posted this threat cant read

Obviously the guy that posted this thread can because he got your suggestion to work.... ringdriod was the key. Zedge didnt show me the ringtone on my phone that I wanted to use...

and even tho there was 6 minutes between your posting and mine, I didnt see yours till after i posted, so dont be a d!(k.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
after a person texts you, when you have that screen open with the texts from that person, (as if you just opened a new text), there's a button top right, looks like a person's shape and a what looks like a gear, tap that, it brings up "personalization", then you can customize the sounds, led notification, and how the actual threaded texts appear JUST for that specific contact.

I type too slow:)

OP
J

jlang11

Reaction score
U can do it with Zedge

when you usb-mount the droid, create a folder on the SD card called "notifications" then dump all the mp3s there. I did this and it's been flawless.

Thank you Laramie... that is most helpful.