custom text tones with handcent?

issues636

Reaction score
is it possible to do custom text tones? i know it's not possible with the default messaging app, but i recently last week started using handcent sms, and i can't seem to find an answer on if it's possible or not. i get espn alerts (i hate sports apps, the alerts are delayed by hours, if you even get them at all) but alot of times i'm actually watching the game, so if i get a text i don't check it, cause i think it's just the game. and i miss alot of texts by "assuming". i wanna set a custom text tone for espn so i can distinguish while i'm watching the game if it's espn or an actual text. is this possible?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
u mean just a ringtone different from the notification ringtone set in the system? yes its

handcent>settings>notification settings> from here you can change it to suit you

OP
issues636

issues636

Reaction score
sorry i thought i mentioned it. i mean contact specific custom tones. like...

i want one ringtone as my texting tone. and then another ringtone just when a certain person texts me.

artc33

Reaction score
i know exactly what you re looking for.

if you download zedge from the market, search for sounds or special effect tones. once in your phone, you can use those for every different contact. you can also use your music.

-go into any of your contact and open a message(like you are going to send it).
-upper right corner(settings)/notification settings/notification sound/choose system/choose sound. voila!

now, when that particular contact texts you, you'll know who they are.

OP
issues636

issues636

Reaction score
i know exactly what you re looking for.

if you download zedge from the market, search for sounds or special effect tones. once in your phone, you can use those for every different contact. you can also use your music.

-go into any of your contact and open a message(like you are going to send it).
-upper right corner(settings)/notification settings/notification sound/choose system/choose sound. voila!

now, when that particular contact texts you, you'll know who they are.

thank you! that sounds like exactly what i'm looking for. gonna go check it out now.

mchorne1

Reaction score
I have tried this, and I don't see anywhere where I can set different sounds for different contacts. am I doing something wrong? I have tried everything.

OP
issues636

issues636

Reaction score
I have tried this, and I don't see anywhere where I can set different sounds for different contacts. am I doing something wrong? I have tried everything.

i did exactly what artc33 said and found it instantly. make sure you're going into the screen where you're actually sending a message to the person. not just the handcent inbox. i made that mistake for the first try and thought i was doing something wrong, then i re-read what he said and got it.

mchorne1

Reaction score

i did exactly what artc33 said and found it instantly. make sure you're going into the screen where you're actually sending a message to the person. not just the handcent inbox. i made that mistake for the first try and thought i was doing something wrong, then i re-read what he said and got it.

When i go in like I am sending a message and I go to settings in the top right hand corner the only options I get are notification sound, bubble settings, and send sms settings. and when I go into notification sounds there are no options to set sounds for different contacts. can you tell me exactly what I'm looking for or or is that only for that person?

OP
issues636

issues636

Reaction score
when you click "Notification Settings" in that dropdown menu and then settings screen opens, take a look at the top, right under your Notifications bar. between your Notifications bar and the "Notification Settings" header, you should see "Name Name(###-###-####)". that's the person you're changing the notification for.

mchorne1

Reaction score
when you click "Notification Settings" in that dropdown menu and then settings screen opens, take a look at the top, right under your Notifications bar. between your Notifications bar and the "Notification Settings" header, you should see "Name Name(###-###-####)". that's the person you're changing the notification for.

Oh ok lol thank you, I didn't notice that, now I just need to figure out how to gain access to my ringtones I have a ton on my phone but for some reason I can't access them through Handcrest

OP
issues636

issues636

Reaction score

Oh ok lol thank you, I didn't notice that

lol np. it's small, easy to miss, and the settings screen looks exactly like the regular settings screen, i thought the same thing at first too. but then i noticed that at the top.

artc33

Reaction score
I'm glad you guys actually got it to work, I knew that's what you needed. It is really cool that you can actually do that. I have so many ringtones, but I know exactly who is texting me. I'm glad I could help.

thecrazing

Reaction score
You don't need to download any separate app to do this.

Handcent could make this a lot clearer, but you can do it inside of Handcent and Handcent alone.

Inside a thread, on the upper right of the screen, you will see an icon that's supposed to be 'contact options.' It's a person silhouette with a gear wheel. These are the options that are specific to that person. Here is where you can set different ringtones and LED colors for a text from that person only.

artc33

Reaction score
i just like zedge a lot, i also like ringdroid. i use a lot of my songs to make the rings i want.

neoj2

Reaction score
Im having a weird issue with handset sms. Ive got the custom notifications to work before but now it keeps playing the default ringtone for messages. Ive checked the settings and it shows my ringtone as the one it should be playing but nothing. It just keeps playing the default ringtone. Before it didnt even play anything so I redownloaded it and it showed 2 handset apps in my app drawer. What the...?? So I wiped and cleared the phone 3 times each but the handset app is still acting weird. Before any of this happened my sd card got damaged for a second time. I just hooked up my sd card to my computer and copied all the files off of the sd card and recopied them after I let my phone reformat the sd card. Could that have caused and issue with handset and how it plays it's ringtones? Any help would be appreciated.