Custom system apps on 5.2

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by somerandomguy, Mar 25, 2011.

1. somerandomguy

somerandomguy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure there have been post on this before but I thought I might help a few people out there by posting. I wanted to get rid of the stock text messaging and music apps. the main reasons for this 1 is so the bluetooth controls on my headphones will work with the music app I wanted to and not start up at the second music app by pushing play and 2 I like to use handcent sms and I hate getting double notifications from the text messaging. So I used root explorer in the app store it cost about 4 dollars I used it and went into the system folder then the app folder this program allows you to change the system directory from read only to read/write I deleted the music app as well as the mms app then I used the mover feature to move the handcent.apk in the music player pro.apk I've then renamed them respectfully music.apk and mms.apk then I uninstalled both handcent and music player pro the standard way using the settings menu. Then I reinstall them by accessing them with the root manager program And clicking on each 1 in the systems folder. Now my bluetooth headset works perfectly and the only text messaging I get is through handcent.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

2. droidic

droidic Member

Ratings:
    +0
    By getting rid of the stock messaging app you MAY have broken your ability to send/receive mms. I also use handcent but kept stock messaging app. If you open mms, hit menu > settings scroll down and uncheck notification u will now only receive handcent notifications

Simply Stunning Gingerbread 5.1 low voltage 1.2ghz

3. mountaineerndixie

mountaineerndixie Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    That's interesting. I thought removing stock text app caused trouble.

4. somerandomguy

somerandomguy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Still reciveing texts...

5. droidic

droidic Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I wasn't specific hancent can handle text do u still get/send multimedia messages (pictures, video)?

Simply Stunning Gingerbread 5.2 low voltage 1.2ghz

6. somerandomguy

somerandomguy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I get reg text and picture texts forsure I Don't get video messages often

7. chewy74

chewy74 Active Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Like another poster said, you lose mms ability. Also the duplication of incoming txt is not app related... vz support says its hardware issues with the phone, but think it has more to do with signal strength, cell tower location and if your phone is under heavy memory use when receiving txt.

I've been plagued by the dbl txt for a while and tried every method, even yours to fix, but it always returns.

As I understand handcent, its not made to be a standalone messaging app, but acts as an intermediary to retrieve txt and mms from your native txt app. So removing it will break certain things and may effect other apps that rely on it. So be cautions and be ready to restore (hope you have a backup copy) let me know how you do.