Custom Ringtown on text

tuckerm

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm looking to set a custom text message ring tone on one contact only.

The setup is this:
I'm a paid, on-call fire fighter and I have setup a scanner, and a virtual machine to send out emails when our pagers go off. With my software, it detects the two tones of a pager, and records some of the audio, and then emails it to a dedicated email at gmail. All that is working fine. I then have the GMail filters forward the page to my phone and others.

I'm recieving the messages just fine, however, I want my phone to have a custom ringtone for the email address that it comes in on, but I don't want any other messages to have audio (they all are set to vibrate, I don't need audio for any but the email address).

The contact is simply an email address in my Droid with the contact named page tones.

How do I achieve this??

Thanks,

Tucker

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to an article on the Mac|Life site.
(OS X and Droid, BFFS? - Sync Your Android Phone to Your Mac | Mac|Life)

Page two has a section on creating ringtones for txt messages. I installed the app (RingsExtend). For a day or two, I was able to access the screen in the article,however, I must have changed something because not I do not receive the screen with the option. I uninstalled and reinstalled but I'm still not able to access the app.

Hope this helps.

Mike

OP
T

tuckerm

Reaction score
Will this allow the ringtone to change for just the one person (Pager Tone) or for all messages?

I want all messages on vibrate, *except* for the Pager Tone contact.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since my efforts to install the app have not been successful, I'm not sure. However, based on the Mac|Life article my sense is that all messages would receive the ring tone that is selected.

Mike

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
EDIT: I have no idea if its possible to have every thing silent EXPECT this one contact

I was not able to get it to work via handcent

EDIT: make your own ringtone of "dead air" assign that as your main SMS Ringtone
then assign the Ringer you want for the Alert message.

every one else will get the "dead air" ringer I'd have it vibrate too, but the only text audio you would get would be from email generated alert text

-=jason=-

OP
T

tuckerm

Reaction score
I appreciate the help, however, whenever I get an email from Pager Tone, nothing is being played--even though everything is on loud and default rings.

Melonhead

Reaction score
Check out the free Handcent SMS app. It allows for custom ringers for individual contacts.
I had a similar need as yours where I received txt's from our dispatch center. I've been using it for months and it's my primary SMS app on my Droid