Custom Ringtones go bad

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by MoDmAnDaN, May 29, 2010.

1. MoDmAnDaN

MoDmAnDaN New Member

I have been silent in these forums and enjoying the benefits of all these awesome roms!

I have been having one mind boggling issue since running BB 1.0 and was hoping it would be solved in 1.1, but no...

I have about 10 favorite contacts that I have also setup custom ring tones for. What I can't figure out is why once in a while, if one of them call me, the phone will use the default ringtone and sometimes will use the ringtone I assigned to them correctly. I have completely formatted my phone and installed this rom from scratch and still have the same issue. This happens to all my contacts that I have custom ringtones for.

At first I thought maybe my ringtones were possibly corrupt, formatted my SD card and re-created the tones, same issue. I have not had this issue with Blackdroid or Simply Stunning.

Any thoughts??
  2. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

If there is a little lag, and the name of the person doesn't pop up right away, that can cause it to play the default ringtone.
  3. MoDmAnDaN

MoDmAnDaN New Member

Ok...lets assume your correct and my phone is lagging. I have noticed that two apps my phone also starts up whenever a call is made or received are Handcent and K9 email. I have those two programs also set to shut down in my task killer. Could that cause enough of a lag in BB?

I have always had those in my task killer with other roms and not had this issue. I do, however, also run "Speech Alert" which speaks the contact name and wonder if that could do it?

Thanks!
  4. MoDmAnDaN

MoDmAnDaN New Member

I may have found the answer after much searching. Seems a lot of people are experiencing this issue when running Helix which is causing their caller ID screen to lag. Guess I'll try switching back to the stock "Home" launcher and see is that helps!

Thanks for your reply!
  5. droidful

droidful New Member

having custom ringtown issue

I have the same issue, almost exactly as stated above. I too was waiting because seemed like such a minor issue. But I really like my specific ring tones. And I like helix launcher. And I never had this issue till bb. What can I do too make it all work again?
  6. bmcclurg1

bmcclurg1 New Member

+1 to above. Using (and liking) both Helix1 and custom ringtones. Any settings that could improve this situation?
  7. kenbarnum

kenbarnum New Member

I'm running Petes V1.1 1ghz with LauncherPro copied to the system folder.
    It runs silky smooth...Lovin it.

Copy launcherpro to system like this:

"in terminal:
    su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    cp /data/app/com.fede.launcher.apk /system/app
    mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    sync
    exit(i recommend to reboot to be safe)"

---copied from a portion of a post from chris420o

Edit - I think LauncherPro is way faster than Helix...
  8. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

Just download LauncherPro from the market and test it out...
  9. dkelly701

dkelly701 New Member

I am still struggling with this issue. I have tried several different launchers in addition to Helix 1 and 2, including ADW and LauncherPro. I experience this issue with all of them. To make it more complex, I think widgets make it worse also. The stock launcher seems to be the best able to solve this issue, but I am experimenting with using LauncherPro and removing and adding different widgets to see it I can make it work.

I think BB also slows the clock speed down when the phone is idle, so that may play a part in it.

10. MoDmAnDaN

MoDmAnDaN New Member

Well, I have tried all the different launchers out there, and the problem does still persist. So...I'm out of ideas.
  11. Skull One

Skull One New Member

My current research suggests that it is a suspend mode issue. When the phone comes out of Sleep/Standby, every program still in memory suddenly wakes up and tries to get CPU time. This creates lag and the phone defaults to the ringtone set in the base preferences. I am currently testing this theory by turning off suspend mode and letting the phone run all the time even when the screen is off. I hope to have useful data in the next day or two.

My only other working theory on this is that the contact application that stores the custom ringtone setting is not loading into memory fast enough before the ring delay has completed and the phone needs to start playing something. This theory is the harder of the two ideas I have, so that is why I am testing no suspend mode first.
  12. Skull One

Skull One New Member

11 th called failed. Now working on how to keep contacts apk in memory.
  13. Skull One

Skull One New Member

Froyo 2.2 fixes this issue. Even at 125Mhz sleep/standby.
  14. slgunnel

slgunnel New Member

I'm having the same issue. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

I'm not ready to upgrade to 2.2 yet. It's too new for me to put it on my phone. I like to wait a little while and let the bugs get worked out.
  15. tnronin

tnronin Member

I'm running BB 6.2, Froyo 2.2.1 and I'm having this problem. I have upped my minimum speed to 250 and increased my VM to 42m (what the heck). So far so good, wife's "hail to the chief" is playing as it should.

I'm not on the phone all the time so it will take time to test it out. HTH
  16. tnronin

tnronin Member

Mom called and got the stock ring. Upped the lower end to 500 to see if that helps.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App