Custom ringtone assignments?/ Which bloatware can I safely delete?

smellelectric

Reaction score
Alright, so I had a Droid1 (OG) and I was able to assign my own home made notification tones to each e-mail account so I knew what I needed to check NOW, versus what could wait. With the Bionic, I don't seem to be able to do that. Whatever notification I set for one e-mail account applies to all e-mail accounts. I've tried moving them from the Ringtones folder to the Notifications folder and even just leaving them in th Audio folder (not in ringtones or notifications). Nothing seems to provide the flexibility I had previously. I also use Touchdown for my work exchange e-mail and had this functionality with it as well, but no longer do. Does anyone know how to split e-mail accounts up so they are all independent? It seems to be something to do with the pre-loaded messaging app that ties aqll e-mail accounts together, but I'm just guessing. Sorry for rambling but it's really frustrating to have such a kick ass device with less ability to personalize it. :)dancedroid:)dancedroid:)

dkelly701

Reaction score
I have Touchdown and it uses a different notification sound than My Gmail. I open Touchdown, go to settings, Advanced, Email Alerts, choose "Customize settings" and choose the sound, vibration, and light color. Save, then close. Are you saying you are doing that and it still does not work?

cjsmoove

Reaction score
Go into each email settings seperately and if you look under notification settings you can assign a tone for each email you have in addition I've have all my emails seperate on the home screen, the only time I go into the messaging folder, where it has everything, is when I want to change something for all of them at once.

OP
smellelectric

smellelectric

Reaction score
I have Touchdown and it uses a different notification sound than My Gmail. I open Touchdown, go to settings, Advanced, Email Alerts, choose "Customize settings" and choose the sound, vibration, and light color. Save, then close. Are you saying you are doing that and it still does not work?

Sorry I wasn't very clear on that. I do have a different notification for Touchdown than the rest of my e-mail accounts, but Touchdown seems to be limited to factory installed sounds where I used to be able to access everything.

OP
smellelectric

smellelectric

Reaction score
Go into each email settings seperately and if you look under notification settings you can assign a tone for each email you have in addition I've have all my emails seperate on the home screen, the only time I go into the messaging folder, where it has everything, is when I want to change something for all of them at once.

I do have all of my e-mails accounts on my home screen individually, using the factory installed Yahoo app for my yahoo account, the Gmail app for my gmail account (showing those icons) but my Hotmail and Live accounts show the red icon with the @ symbol. I've gone into each independently (including Yahoo - I can't find the option to assign a tone to Gmail) and every time I change the notification for one, it applies universally. Is there a way to set up the accounts that doesn't link them to the messaging app?

dkelly701

Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't very clear on that. I do have a different notification for Touchdown than the rest of my e-mail accounts, but Touchdown seems to be limited to factory installed sounds where I used to be able to access everything.

In Touchdown, in the Customize settings window, just above where you choose the sound file, I have a box that I can change the location of the sounds. I haven't tried it, but I would think that you can create a folder on your SDcard or SDcard-ext, place the sound you want in that folder, and then change the path in the box in touchdown.

If you root, you can add your own sounds to the system folder. Another option, although it doesn't work in Touchdown, is the app call Rings extended. Once installed, when you go to choose a notification sound, you get a window that asks if you want to use the Android System or Rings Extended. If you choose Rings Extended, it will pretty much let you choose any sound on your phone.

OP
smellelectric

smellelectric

Reaction score
In Touchdown, in the Customize settings window, just above where you choose the sound file, I have a box that I can change the location of the sounds. I haven't tried it, but I would think that you can create a folder on your SDcard or SDcard-ext, place the sound you want in that folder, and then change the path in the box in touchdown.

If you root, you can add your own sounds to the system folder. Another option, although it doesn't work in Touchdown, is the app call Rings extended. Once installed, when you go to choose a notification sound, you get a window that asks if you want to use the Android System or Rings Extended. If you choose Rings Extended, it will pretty much let you choose any sound on your phone.

Thanks, I will try creating a new, randomly named folder and try to point Touchdown to it.

-On another note, although I did successfully flash Froyo to my OG Droid successfully, I never really rooted it. Is there more than one method for rooting the Bionic and if so, do you think one is better than another or would they all be about the same complexity/risk factor as far as learning curve?

dkelly701

Reaction score
I do have all of my e-mails accounts on my home screen individually, using the factory installed Yahoo app for my yahoo account, the Gmail app for my gmail account (showing those icons) but my Hotmail and Live accounts show the red icon with the @ symbol. I've gone into each independently (including Yahoo - I can't find the option to assign a tone to Gmail) and every time I change the notification for one, it applies universally. Is there a way to set up the accounts that doesn't link them to the messaging app?

Sorry, we seem to be posting at the same time. For Gmail, press menu, more, settings, press your gmail account, labels to notify, and inbox. This will pop up a window. press Ringtone and this will let you change the gmail notification. I wouldn't think it will also change your yahoo, etc.

OP
smellelectric

smellelectric

Reaction score
Sorry, we seem to be posting at the same time. For Gmail, press menu, more, settings, press your gmail account, labels to notify, and inbox. This will pop up a window. press Ringtone and this will let you change the gmail notification. I wouldn't think it will also change your yahoo, etc.

Thanks again. That fixed it for Gmail, but all of the others are still the same. At least I can tell my work e-mail(Touchdown) from my Gmail and both of them from my other accounts.

dkelly701

Reaction score
Thanks, I will try creating a new, randomly named folder and try to point Touchdown to it.

-On another note, although I did successfully flash Froyo to my OG Droid successfully, I never really rooted it. Is there more than one method for rooting the Bionic and if so, do you think one is better than another or would they all be about the same complexity/risk factor as far as learning curve?

I used the second one in the OP, Pete's that you can root and unroot. It was as simple as simple gets. Install the stuff on your computer, start the process and watch it run. When it finishes you will be rooted and superuser and busybox will be installed.