Custom Recovery Image

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Randomocity, Dec 12, 2009.

1. brianr0131

brianr0131 New Member

Someone on this thread gave me advice to do this before i tried the recovery flash.

Should I undo this? If so, can you post the correct commands. Thanks for the help.
  2. brianr0131

brianr0131 New Member

What's my workaround ?
  3. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

Sorry, tuis is going 2 sound like a noob question, but I'm still confused. Is this a firmware?or an 'update' that won't change anything but just patch the os to accept later firmware installs without signing them? That's what it does right, just patch the firmware?
  4. toka

toka New Member

okay - here's my instructions as i recall them, and hopefully some insightful explanation:

PLEASE: do not follow this unless you are /sure/ you know what you are doing. ALSO if you have disabled reflash of recovery on system boot, please UNDO the changes you made. It's okay for this to roll-back on first full-boot, we can go through it a second time after we validate everything is working as expected.

1 - place the required files (flash_image binary and recovery.img - naming shouldn't matter i kept the version number on it) on your sdcard - you can do this with a microsdcard reader, adb push, whatever you like =)
    2 - start a root session using adb shell and su
    3 - mount -o rw,remount /system - this makes /system writable
    4 - mkdir /system/xbin - if it already exists you will simply get an error
    5 - using cp (if you have busybox...) or cat FILE > TARGET - you should place flash_image in a place we can execute from (/system/xbin seems good to me)
    6 - chmod 700 /system/xbin/flash_image - validate permissions on /system/xbin/flash_image - you are the root user afterall, don't need world and group executable or even read =)
    7 - sync - flush changes to block device
    8 - mount -o ro,remount /system - remount in read-only - you shouldn't need to make any more changes
    9 - as /system/xbin is in your path, you can simply type: flash_image recover /sdcard/recovery.img
    10 - hit power button, select power off
    11 - hold x, hit power button
    12 - you should be greated by the custom recovery firmware, if you are, rejoice, reboot into android. IF NOT: stop here, let me know what you encountered
    13 - let's test to make sure our roll back worked, we should now (being fully booted in android) have the stock recovery image again, power-off, hold x, power on, you should see the stock recovery screen
    14 - if you've gotten this far, you now have the basics for how to make the change, to make it permanent follow the above steps and simply move the /system/recovery-on-boot.p before step 7. follow until step 12, you may want to reboot one more time to validate that it sticks.

let me know if that's clear enough =)
  5. brianr0131

brianr0131 New Member

Can you please post undo commands. here's how I disabled:
    su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.old
    sync
    mount -o remount,r -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    I just mounted USB mode and drag/dropped onto root folder. Is this my problem?

I tried my commands through terminal emulator. Is that OK?

Thanks again for the help
  6. toka

toka New Member

1 - This should do it, we simply want to put it back the way it was (i use short versions of the mount command because we have the mtab and fstab to remember our types and block devices)
    su
    mount -o rw,remount /system
    mv /system/recovery-from-boot.old /system/recovery-from-boot.p
    sync
    mount -o ro,remount /system

2 - that shouldn't matter - might want to check the byte size of each to be paranoid - ls -l on the droid - and right-click properties in Windows

3 - should work from terminal emulator, didn't try but the environment should technically be the same - i used adb shell mainly so i could use my full-size keyboard and lcd monitor =)
  7. boostdscoob

boostdscoob New Member

please explain #5 for us terminal emulator users
  8. toka

toka New Member

5 - using cp (if you have busybox...) or cat FILE > TARGET - you should place flash_image in a place we can execute from (/system/xbin seems good to me)

if you have busybox: cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/xbin/flash_image

if you don't have busybox (eg you are a masochist): cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/xbin/flash_image
  9. boostdscoob

boostdscoob New Member

worked perfectly, the first time.. here it is combined, for you terminal emulator users

1 - place the required files (flash_image binary and recovery.img - naming shouldn't matter i kept the version number on it) on your sdcard - you can do this with a microsdcard reader, adb push, whatever you like =)
    2 - start a root session using adb shell and su
    5 - cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/xbin/flash_image
    6 - chmod 700 /system/xbin/flash_image - validate permissions on /system/xbin/flash_image - you are the root user afterall, don't need world and group executable or even read =)
    8 - mount -o ro,remount /system - remount in read-only - you shouldn't need to make any more changes
    9 - as /system/xbin is in your path, you can simply type: flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.08.img
    12 - you should be greated by the custom recovery firmware
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  10. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Disregard below, I confirmed that when in SU I cannot fiddle with files unless r/w is set properly. I guess Astro lets me move system files around. Thank goodness I now have the new recovery. And thank you again for helping unravel the problem with pathing.

Craig

Sorry to jump in, Toka, but I was able to get the syops recovery to show using these commands to change the r/w attributes.

sync

I am not gonna stick anything for a bit, until I am sure this is the correct image I want to use.

But, I think I have a new problem. I checked to see that I had correctly changed the rw status back to Read only, and right now after using the above commands, I find that in Astro I can move system files that I should not have permission to do so.

Any thoughts, and a big THANK YOU.

Craig

11. jdefe

jdefe New Member

Hmmmm

I have followed every instruction to the T...have gotten no errors during the process, and yet I still have the original recovery on my phone. Ive had no problem doing any of these things on my g1, but no matter how many times I do it the new recovery image wont load...so puzzling
  12. brianr0131

brianr0131 New Member

Every command i try to execute like move results in a "read only" error. If I have su access how do I get read only error?

Thanks
  13. jinx10000

jinx10000 New Member

have you mounted the system folder as read/write.
  14. brianr0131

brianr0131 New Member

Yes I tried:

mount -o rw,remount /system

and

no joy
  15. jinx10000

jinx10000 New Member

the only times i've had this problem is when I don't mount the system with write priviledges or I forget to provide a destination.

For example,

cp /system/bin/xyz xyz.old
    vs
    cp /system/bin/xyz /system/bin/xyz.old

I doubt if that is your problem but I have done it before.
  16. tdawg5480

tdawg5480 New Member

this did work for me however you typed " flash_image recover /sdcard/recovery.img and it should be flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img as the way you typed i got cant find recover partition.....but thanks though worked for me and i was stuck i just added a y and it worked.....was either that or start ranting on here..
  17. boostdscoob

boostdscoob New Member

sorry guys, copied and pasted, but forgot to fix the difference.. its fixed now, just go back to the post.. also, after you do step 9 close terminal app and reopen, enter the code for blocking the factory recovery image. then move to step 10

pm me if its still not working.. also for the noobs makes sure the # sign appears at the beginning of each new line after hitting enter.

im pretty sure once you enter the factory recovery image block code, you can simply type reboot also, then just hold x before the M appears.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2009
  18. tdawg5480

tdawg5480 New Member

ehhh dont be sorry your intructions worked at least the site which you download from is quite vague......with all these different terminal commands floating in the prompt via quotes, replies etc could someone post how to undo blocking of reboot recovery erase in 2.0.1 i want im trying to make a text file of commands i use on my droid and moreless make a cheat sheet incase i need to do fix my fudgeup and get back to stock setup. THANKS its probably been posted but so many diffrent things floating in this thread i want to be sure....THANKS AGAIN I modded your post a little bit perhaps so people wont mess up where I did i also highlighted actual text to input into terminal

2 - start a root session using adb shell and type su
    5 - cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/xbin/flash_image
    9. /system/xbin/ flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
    12 - you should be greated by the custom recovery firmware
  19. boostdscoob

boostdscoob New Member

go to my sig, it now has everything

su
    mv /system/recovery-from-boot.old /system/recovery-from-boot.p
    sync
  20. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Random, Boost, Toka and the others here thank you for your patience. Sincerely. It would be very easy for you all to ignore us and assume if you are here in the hacks, we had better know what to do without asking.

Not sure if this is the right thread for these questions, but here goes. I think other newbs here like myself might glean something from a reply.

1. We have 4 options at the new Recovery. The first is obvious, but I am uncertain what 2-4 do to those of us with root.

For the sake of arguement, lets assume that one of us has erased some files that are not needed for running, but affect VZW 2.0.1. We have 2.0.1 w/root sitting as update.zip on the SD card.

2. For what ever reason, the user wants to go back to stock 2.0.1. with root. Can you just use the update.zip option from recovery without manually undoing all that you have done? I think 2.0.1 needs the proper file stucture, and until we get a new ROM we need to track what we have done to our system.

3. Same assumptions as above, and a user deletes something critical and gets stuck in some kind of boot loop/freeze. What would they do?

4. This may tie in with above, but I see that in the new recovery we have Mounted /sdcard at the bottom. Does this mean that with the unit sitting in the recovery screen, we can use our PC and adb or similar to fix file issues? Jinx alluded to this earlier, but I am unclear if this would be the mechanism.

5. Perhaps more of general confusion based on Tika's brick description, but are there any additional steps that we need to do at this point to ensure safety, besides the obvious like documenting changes, not hosing the wrong system files, etc. He mentioned booting to recovery to validate. Is this just booting to Recovery and visually checking to see that you have Sirpsycos' image? He aslo mentioned disabling auto-reflash. Sounds like he was "playing" with different versions of the Image, but I want to be sure there are no additional steps needed to "stick" and be able to recover.

Thank you all,

Craig
Search tags for this page

custom recovery image

custon recovery imsge for droid 2 global android forums
droid custom recovery

flash image permission denied

flash image recovery /sdcard/name-of-recovery.img
flash image: permission denied
flash image.img permission denied
how to know phone have custom recovery image
motorola droid custom recovery