Custom profiles - different notification for phone vs. email

kcyanks1

Reaction score
I use my phone to receive the following: (1) phone calls, (2) work email, through the Good technology solution, (3) personal gmail, and (4) sms text messages.

I would like to have the following basic profiles:
(a) ring all - (1)-(4) above all ring when something comes in
(b) vibrate all - (1)-(4) all vibrate when something comes in
(c) phone only ring - (1) & possibly (4) ring when something comes in;
(2)/(3) are silent
(d) phone only vibrate - (1) & possibly (4) vibrate when something comes
in; (2)/(3) are silent

With my Blackberry, it was very easy to set these profiles up. With the Thunderbolt, it seems to have 3 profiles - ring all, vibrate all, silent - and I cannot add more. I can make changes to notifications within individual applications (e.g., Good application, gmail application), but this does not replace the ability to switch profiles throughout the day with a couple clicks. (I also don't really get how the profiles interact with the individual application settings -- it seems like there are two places fighting over the same control.)

Does any have any ideas for third party applications that might do what I need? I have done some searching, but the descriptions for the apps are often too vague for me to tell if they do what I want, and they often cost money. I did buy the MyProfiles app, but am having trouble getting it to do what I want. Possibly it can, and I have emailed the developer to ask, but in the meantime, I thought I would get broader input. I am still within my trial period, and while I might keep the phone regardless, this is a very important feature to me.

Thanks ahead of time for all your help!

alboboy10

Reaction score
Audio manager might be sort of what ur looking for. I was looking for something similar to what ur looking for but u won't find exactly that

jlambeth1

Reaction score
I use whoisit from the market to set up profiles for specific contacts and it works great. It has a ton of options and might be of interest to you.

OP
K

kcyanks1

Reaction score
Update from original poster

Thanks for the recommendations! I haven't yet tried them, as the MyProfiles developer did get back to me. He was very friendly, and I have the "phone only ring" profile (what I called (c)) working, where my phone rings for a phone call and does nothing for email.

Basically, to get this working, you:
(1) Check "Enable changes" for sound and vibration setting;
(2) Uncheck "vibrate" off (for ringtone & notifications); and
(3) Under "Volume": (a) set the Ringtone volume to something >0, (b) uncheck "use ringtone volume for notifications," and (c) set the notification ringtone volume to 0.

Haven't gotten the "phone only vibrate" profile working yet, but I will follow up with the developer on that. I am not sure how it will work, given that it seems that the "vibrate" option controls both ringtone and notifications. If I find out more info, I will post it in this thread.

Thanks again.

OP
K

kcyanks1

Reaction score
Just updating - after emailing with the developer more (very helpful again), it seems like MyProfiles can't separate out the vibrate (so I can't do "(d)"). The phone-only ring works great though.