Custom notifications not working (Handcent, Default Messaging App)

rancehood

Reaction score
I subscribe to a news outlet that sends SMS messages to my Galaxy S5. The funny thing is that I cant set a custom notification tone for this sender using Handcent or the Default SMS App but I can set it Using Goolge Handouts.

I have attempted to add the sender (and it shows up as an SMTP address) in my messaging app to the contacts list and set a custom notification tone. The fact that it only shows up as an SMTP address in Handcent is something that I think may be causing the problem but I'm not sure.

However I can do it with Google handouts.

OP
R

rancehood

Reaction score
I am still unable to get this to work, I've gone so far as to remove the google hangouts app. Thinking that this may have been causing the issues. Before hand I change the option to link to Gmail address.

One strange this was that when I was in hangouts it showed a message from that sender ([email protected]) in both SMS and Gmail. In the default messaging app I dont see a phone icon next to the sender.

When I try to set the custom ring tone in handcent it looks like it takes but keeps using the default tone.