Custom Kernel for Nexus S Rockets Phone to 1.3GHz!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nexus_S_overclocked.jpg

If you feel like strapping a jet-pack to your shiny new Nexus S, the guys at XDA Developers have just the thing. 'Team Whiskey' developed what they call their Nexus S Trinity Kernel - Bionix NS1, that includes the following changes:
  • Tweaked voltages
  • Further build tweaks
  • Overclocked to 1.3GHz
You read that right... 1.3GHz achieved! The only caveat is they currently don't have Bluetooth working, but if that's a non-issue for you and you don't mind the risk, you can check it out at this link.

Source: AndroidCentral
by dgstorm

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
Im really surprised that there isnt more talk about this phone. The first with Gingerbread? If it wasnt on T-Mobile though, I would consider getting this phone.

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
Im really surprised that there isnt more talk about this phone. The first with Gingerbread? If it wasnt on T-Mobile though, I would consider getting this phone.

That's exactly the problem. The way T-Mobile treated Android after the G1 was pretty pathetic and they lost a lot of Android users because of it. Add their ~AT&T-quality network, and you lose even more Android users.

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
What do you mean the way they treated Android? Bad marketing?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
T-Mobile doesn't have the money to spend on marketing that Big Red does... they could have never present the G1 in the same way VZW presented the Droid.

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
T-Mobile doesn't have the money to spend on marketing that Big Red does... they could have never present the G1 in the same way VZW presented the Droid.

+1

Although you do have to spend money to make money. Thats Economics 101.

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
I have a friend that still has her G1, she claims Tmobile isn't do bad. Everyone is waiting for Jan6 to see what comes out but this is a sleeper imo.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've got two buddies who recently picked up the MyTouch G4.... it's a slick device and T-Mobile's service (at least in our area) isn't too bad.

The device itself is pretty slick and very fast.

MrKleen

Reaction score
Ya... I don't get it. The Nexus phones would be huge if they were on Verizon. For some reason I think they put phones they don't really want to sell over on T-Mobile... LOL

jdlfg

Reaction score
This is the downfall of this otherwise awesome phone. That its on t-mobil. Otherwise its an awesome phone built for development. Wide open no nonsense. Good work on the kernel. I hope this comes to verizon.

Detonation

Reaction score
Whats so special about 1.3GHz? Aren't there already some stable OC's for the DX around 1.35GHz?

jdlfg

Reaction score
Whats so special about 1.3GHz? Aren't there already some stable OC's for the DX around 1.35GHz?

This is just the beginning for the Nexus. The difference is a compiled custom kernel from source versus an application that overclocks and underclocks and tweeks one kernel. The one shipped with the device such as the case with the Moto Droid X and Moto Droid 2 . Which are good devices. What Motorola has done is limit our ability to modify our phones as we see fit. The Nexus S is AOSP without the nonsense that Motorola feeds us.
My belief is that the kernel that is shipped with the Motorola devices is excellent however it was built to run on the stock rom. Anything that is modified on that rom without the ability to customize the kernel in my opinion restricts the device from running at its full potential.

MrKleen

Reaction score

This is just the beginning for the Nexus. The difference is a compiled custom kernel from source versus an application that overclocks and underclocks and tweeks one kernel. The one shipped with the device such as the case with the Moto Droid X and Moto Droid 2 . Which are good devices. What Motorola has done is limit our ability to modify our phones as we see fit. The Nexus S is AOSP without the nonsense that Motorola feeds us.
My belief is that the kernel that is shipped with the Motorola devices is excellent however it was built to run on the stock rom. Anything that is modified on that rom without the ability to customize the kernel in my opinion restricts the device from running at its full potential.

I think your last few lines sum it up for Motorola ... they are restricting us from using our devices to their fullest potential.