Custom Icons: Where is Handcent apk??? (help rooters!)

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by icculusX, Mar 26, 2010.

1. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Help rooted people. Ok, so I am making custom icons and such for my apps. I changed some stuff in the Helix Launcher and I changed some icons by extracting the APK files, changing PNG images, and copying them back to the phone using the Terminal Emulator. So far so good, however...

I can not find certain applications in my system/app folder. For example, I use Handcent for my texting and it is not listed in there. I found a file "com.handcent.nextsms.apk" in the data/app folder but can't find anything else.

Secondly, I extracted that APK (com.handcent.nextsms.apk) and changed some PNG files to modify the whole look of the app, but then when I copy it over in Terminal Emulator then reboot, it made my icons blank and said the app was not installed on my system. I know I did everything right because I have been doing this with other apps on my phone with no problems. Any help would be great as I want to change a lot of these applications appearances. Thanks guys...
  2. icculusX

even any ideas would be swell, i dont care if it messes up my phone and I have to recover. Been through that many many times! Ha...
  3. microsnook

microsnook New Member

Handcent is in /data/app/
    Use root explorer to move it to /system/app/
    Longpress it and select move, then navigate to /system/app/ and paste it there.

Then you should be able to edit it.

Tell me if it works
  4. icculusX

Well like I said, i found it only in data app. I tried editing it and tossing it back in data app but it then says its not installed and cant find it. I even tried editing it and putting it into the system/app folder, but that didnt do anyhitng because it was never actually 'there' in the first place... Hmmm
  5. microsnook

microsnook New Member

Just take the stock handcent, from /data/app/ and then move it to /system/app/

next, extract it using adb, and then edit it and push it back.
    maybe that might work
  6. icculusX

don't mean to bicker, but isn't that what I just said?
  7. microsnook

microsnook New Member

My bad.
    Ill read more carefully.
    I dont know the issue then

I might try this out later to see if I can get it to work
  8. icculusX

Thanks man. Anyone else?

With people making custom ROMs and editing almost every feature of this device there has got to be one person out there that knows how to PNG up this Handcent icon?!
  9. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

i changed all my stock icons in the drawer but when i tried to change the icons for apps from the market they disappear. from what i understand (thanks to a genius i know) if you change something the signatures don't match and they need to be resigned with the dev's key. either way i gave up on changing them permanently and am just sticking with my folderorganizer to change the icons on my apps. let me know if you figure something out but i'm thinkin it aint possible and even if it is possible i'm not sure you'd be able to update.
  10. icculusX

Yea, understood. It's annoying that when a new app update comes out It would (i am quite sure) change all your edits back - and the same goes for a new ROM update. Helix, phone, and and all that stuff would snap back to what the update graphic files are. (not to mention I erased all of the stock ringtones, notifications, and alarms and put in my own tunes... they always get erased and set back to normal) Bla...

I found a work-around (for me at least) and just updated the stock MMS app with that of the Cyan ROM (more features), and I changed that PNG icon... then when I click on a a persons conversation I have it open in Handcent. Not the best setup, but it actually works great for me.
  11. icculusX

Anyone been editing app graphics? I have edited the phone, music player, pandora, mms app and a bunch more. Just finding files and changing colors and poping them back on the system... I can easily see the files for handcent in data/app - and I REALLY wanna change them, but I can't figure out how to without f-ing up the app... HELP?
  12. carlz28

carlz28 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

I had a similar issue. I made a custom icon for the market and tried just copy/pasting the png file into the Vending.apk and then tried to reinstall the .apk on the phone. It would show the new icon I made when it asked me if i was sure i wanted to install the package..etc...but then it would say the "Application not installed"

I asked Chevy if he could figure it out for me and he remade the .apk (I'm assuming) then sent me the file back and it worked perfectly...had to reboot and whatnot for the effects to take place, but I figured as much would be necessary.

Here is the picture I made, and now use for my "Market".
    Hopefully, there won't be updates to that actual .apk file anytime soon...and when I update Chevy's ROM, I'll just re-use the file he sent me.

[​IMG]
  13. icculusX

Just a BUMP to see if anyone out there has had success with editing Handcent graphics? I would love to edit these files to change the look. help/
  14. Flomaster

Flomaster Premium Member Premium Member

1. pull handcent from data/app
    2. edit your png files by using 7zip and dragging (PNGS)to desktop NOT extracting the apk
    3.push to /system/app/
    4.sync
    5.reboot
    6???????
    7.Profit

-=Jason=-

EDIT: so just to test my theory I actually tried my instructions out and here are the results ;)
    The only thing I changed was the icons, but I could have changed any PNG file with in the apk had I chosen to do so

[​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

Search tags for this page
create odex file from handcent apk
handcent icon png location

handcent.apk

icons for signatures android phone