1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Custom comics-related wallpapers, boot logos & animations

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by djakrse, Nov 22, 2010.

1. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

I've seen several threads for creating custom wallpaper, boot logos, and boot animations. I've created a few myself and would like to share and even handle some requests if I have time. I'd prefer to keep them limited to comics (Marvel, DC, etc.) and related movies, if possible. I should also add Star Wars to the list.

As well, I encourage anyone to submit their own if they like, or help out with any requests if they are savvy with a graphics editor. It's probably best to submit wallpaper to the Droid Forums Gallery though.

How to install:

Boot logos
    - (D1) You'll need RSD Lite and this tutorial, http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-using-rsd-lite-flash-sbf-file-correctly.html. -- No need to be rooted when flashing SBF (Many thanks to Fish1552 for taking the time and effort to revert his phone to stock, for verification!)

(DX/D2) There's an app for that, http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/95909-dx-d2-boot-logo-changer-app.html, by JRummy16. Boot logos must be in logo replacer BIN file format, and usage requires root. As an alternative, and required for non-rooted users, Shibbey's http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/146240-boot-logo-generator.html now supports the DX/D2/+ with BIN and SBF formats! SBF files require RSD Lite. The files available in this thread will likely be SBF for the D1, unless stated otherwise. If you'd like any converted for your phone just request here or in the DX/D2 thread under Requests below.

Boot animations - The link just below has good instruction on how to install boot animations. If you aren't rooted, you must use the Android SDK and adb the file to /data/local. Rooted users have much more options on how to install, plus the boot animation can be placed in /system/media to free up space on /data for apps. :)

Boot animations with sound - FroYo (at least D1, D2, & DX) users, follow the instructions here, (opt. 1) http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...und-droid-x-info-build-prop-4.html#post990084*. R2D2 edition Droid 2 users can skip installing the "/system/bin/bootanimation" file, but install the boot animations the same way.

* NOTE: It has been determined that this method does not work on Gingerbread (and later.) The replacement "bootanimation" binary was taken from a D2 R2D2 edition, which was released with Android 2.2 (froyo). It makes sense that something changed with Gingerbread. Perhaps when the D2R2D2 gets Gingerbread, the binary will be updated. As soon as I am aware of a fix, I will post it here.

UPDATE: For Gingerbread users, (opt. 2), This is not a fix for whatever is broken in the above method by Gingerbread, but a slick, scripting sort of hack to add a feature that should already be there. In fact, this method was around before someone tried replacing their /system/bin/bootanimation binary. There are cons. The audio file must be named "android_audio.mp3" and, therefore, the desc.txt inside your bootanimation.zip must be edited to reflect the name change. Since this utilizes whatever /system/bin/bootanimation binary you have installed, this will not improve the playback of your boot animations other than adding sound. I strongly recommend using a proper fix or updated binary once one become available. Also, I have heard it does not work for everyone. I'd recommend this for Gingerbread users only who cannot wait for a working fix to the previous option. Try it out!

How to make your own:

Droid 1 boot logos - use Shibbey's http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/146240-boot-logo-generator.html -- I highly recommend it. Here's his original, http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/91243-droid-1-boot-logo-generator.html, for posterity (I like it, because it has the cool D1 image previewing the logo :D). If you want to know what his app does for you, or don't trust it, DIY using this tutorial, http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/64681-changing-your-motorola-m-boot-logo-tutorial.html. For a more in depth tutorial with PICS(!), check out the tutorial in the DX and D2 section below (use both tutorials to make sure you stay on track.) I also found the Droid Labs invaluable for making my own SBF and figuring out what I did wrong - Droid Labs - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum.

DX and D2 boot logos - Thanks again to Shibbey, DX and D2 users can now create their own boot logos with his app in whichever format is best suited, BIN or SBF. To manually create the logo replacer BIN file for use with JRummy16's app, use ArmyDude's guide, http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/92469-step-step-diy-boot-m-logo-pics.html, complete with instructions using GIMP!

Boot animations - Your may only need to look here, thanks to Dr. Carpenter, for a collective bit of information on the subject. There are many details or tips everyone who makes animations learns, and it's good to see them in one place. I've learned how to make my own from FLV movies. GIF and PNG animations are straight forward if you have Photoshop skills. I thought I'd add more info about how I make boot animations from the source. I offered the following when questioned, here:

I rarely use video demuxing software like VirtualDub or TMPGEnc, though they are nice for clipping video. Usually, I use SUPER v.2010.bld.42 (Nov 7, 2010)** to convert video to "Sequence of Images" > PNG. This works fine for short video of 5 min. or less, resulting in output of ~200MB-1GB of PNGs in about 5-10 min. Most of the sources I've used have been FLV or MP4 from YouTube or similar and work fine with SUPER. Some have been AVI, which can use any codec, but I think I've managed to use SUPER for them as well (there is an option to DirectShow Decode if internal filters fail.) From there, I batch scale, rotate, convert to JPG, and rename with Irfanview. I use Photoshop to batch scale and rotate if there is any cropping or other editing to do first, and then convert to JPG and rename with Irfanview.

Audio can be extracted from FLV, usually in MP3 format with FLV Extract. I do audio editing (clip/volume/fade) with Audacity and then export to MP3 or OGG. MP4 audio can often be extracted with Quicktime Pro without reconversion. I've also used AoA Audio Extractor, which works quite often and is free. If you get audio clips from these sources which can't be imported into Audacity or other editor, converting with SUPER to OGG usually works fine.

** NOTE: I would recommend the latest version of SUPER, but it installed bundled software that I was not given the option to install, thus the immediate uninstall. It's also one of those softwares that kind of rub me the wrong way with a sort of odd interface and peculiar behavior as well. E.g., the window is set to stay on top of everything, so when working with it, you have to minimize to see other applications. However, it does what I want it to very well and for free.

Here's some good threads explaining boot animations and how the "desc.txt" works:

Requests:

I may be able to handle some requests, preferably related to this thread, thanks!

Wallpaper:

Boot logos:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  2. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  3. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

Learning as I go, the frames should be formatted to optimize the images themselves, not to fill the screen. This video was reduced to touch the inside of the screen, so each image is only 480x288, considerably reducing the overall animation size. With the height not set at 854, this animation should also play on more phones, since it doesn't matter the height of the phone's screen. Anyone, please let me know if they find otherwise.

At 252 frames and 24 fps, it should finish in 10.5s. It plays in under 30 seconds on my D1 (slow but still looks good; can actually make out the images ;)), but have been told it only takes 15-16s on the DX.

I made one with half the frames at 12 fps, which finished in about 20s on my D1. The preview was made from this animation for file size concerns.

D1 users, I'd recommend trying them both
    DX/2 users, go for the 24 fps. You might even want to slow it down to 18 fps to make it last longer. ;)

Open desc.txt within zip, modify, and save.
    480 288 18
    p 1 0 part0

I may add sound later, who knows.

Rooted and non-rooted users: Follow instructions here to install animations; rooted users additionally with sound! ( Non-rooted users cannot touch /system, so sound is not available) - http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...und-droid-x-info-build-prop-4.html#post990084

**Edited to add animation with sound**

The 24 fps boot animation w/ sound plays in everlovin' sync with the audio clip! I don't yet understand why, but it plays beautifully on my D1, finishing in 13.5 seconds (the length of the audio clip). It actually finishes with 3-4 seconds of blank screen/silence before the lockscreen. I may have to add a few seconds of video/audio to fix that. :D

INSTALLATION
    You must replace the /system/bin/bootanimation file with the one from the D2R2D2 (follow link instructions). Then extract "marvel_bootanimation_audio.zip" to your SD. You'll need to place the audio file, "sm2_opening.ogg," in /system/media along with the boot animation.

Reboot and enjoy.

Note: the "marvel_bootanimation_24fps.zip" and "marvel_bootanimation_24fps_w-sound.zip" attachments are identical, save for the desc.txt within. You must download the audio file too for it to work. I added the last line to add sound:
    Code:
    480 288 24
    p 1 0 part0
    s sm2_opening.ogg
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  4. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

Here's 2 Marvel D1 boot logos, both with red and black backgrounds. IMO, The red looks best solo, but the black maybe looks better with the boot animation above.

I can make another matted logo from any... uh, Marvel-related artwork... requests?

All 4 D1 boot logos and previews in zip
  5. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

ADW users...

Earlier I made a boot logo from Captain America's shield, linked above. This PNG can be used to replace the app drawer icon with ADW 1.3.0 Standalone version and newer. Save the image to your SD card, then follow the instructions from the ADW changelog:

Ask if you want help with this
  6. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

Marvel animation extended with additional 7.5 s of animation

This animation is based on the previous Marvel animation. I wanted to use an alternate section of the opening score which has a bit more energy to it. I'm trying to get something that sounds good with the animation, but I had to add a lot of frames to match the length of the audio. Hopefully it's not too cheesy. ;)

Still learning here too. Figured out a lot of what doesn't work. Had mixed results due to the fact I wasn't aware of multiple errors I was making. This is along the lines of what I was trying to achieve, but not my best effort. I'm going to have to work this one out some more, but I wanted to get this posted to feel like it was worth the effort.

I've figured out it plays just a little slower than that on my D1, as did the last one. I figure it will play faster on D2 and DX. I'm having a friend check it out soon to see if it's in better sync. On my phone, the audio ends halfway through the additional animation. I will likely be doing a 12 fps version that will play in proper sync on my D1. I'm also going to redo the earlier versions of the animation soon to allow the animations and audio to be swapped out with each other and support clips which I may be adding later without having to rename them.

For now, enjoy

(forgive the names, they help me out)

Both files are already properly named within; extract and place in /system/media for full effect. The preview only shows the ending of the animation which has been appended to the previous animation above.
  7. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

D2/DX full screen Marvel animation

This is the same animation in post 3; see for preview. It has been turned clockwise so it becomes 800x480 animation with sound.

There are 2 animations. The 24fps I would suggest is for D2/DX users only. (D1 users, it takes about 30s from beginning to lockscreen and the audio finishes half way through.)

20101201_ba264_24fps_marvel_oriented_ogg.zip

The 12 fps animation should play very smooth and in sync with the audio for D2/DX users. This animation runs around 20 seconds for D1 users; not too bad, but the included audio file stops short. I've made longer sound clips that I will try to add later.

20101203_ba132_12fps_marvel_oriented_ogg.zip

Each archive contains the bootanimation.zip and length-compatible ogg audio file. Extract both and move to /system/media. Modify permissions to match previous boot animation (rwxr-xr-x) and reboot.

EDIT: There is a new version on post 187 which has smaller dimensions but scales to 800x480 in landscape mode. It should play nicely for all users and there is an audio version as well.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  8. Spyder RT

Spyder RT New Member

Sweet. I'm a big spiderman fan and am hoping to work on a Noir animation over the weekend from a shattered dimensions commercial I lifted from youtube f
  9. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

Sounds cool, looking forward to seeing it. Let me know if there's any way I can help.
  10. neilrl79

neilrl79 New Member

I've actually been looking for a boot animation featuring Thor, you got anything like that?
  11. Spyder RT

Spyder RT New Member

I appreciate the offer. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm going to try. I just put your marvel one as my boot screen. I love it. I feel so dang cool right now.s
  12. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

Not yet ;)

Sounds like something i need to look into. Video source may be hard to find though
  13. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

Thanks!

Which one? Any issues? I just found out from a friend the last one, 12fps version, clips the audio slightly.
  14. Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit Super Moderator

Now Im going to have to try to make a Calvin and Hobbes Boot logo.
  15. Spyder RT

Spyder RT New Member

I used the 12fps one with no audio. I'm going to try the 24 w/audio in a minute.
  16. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

Working on this at the moment (with audio).
  17. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

Bring it on!

I can't stop laughing at your name. You just need a show
  18. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

For some reason, the ones with audio play waaaay smoother for me. It's like the phone doesn't know it's supposed to play at the stated FPS unless there's audio included. I tried with and without a "s none" line at the end. Weird
  19. Spyder RT

Spyder RT New Member

The 12 with no audio worked better for me than the 24. When I tried the 24 I didnt hear any audio.
  20. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

You have to follow the instructions here to enable sound on your phone:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...und-droid-x-info-build-prop-4.html#post990084

The /system/bin/bootanimation file has to be replaced. Back up your old one; just rename it .bak since it's so small, then reboot and the sound should work.

edit: I think I renamed mine .nosnd or .orig or similar. This is a one time thing (though may need to be redone after any kind of rom install) and it shouldnt hurt to leave it in place indefinitely
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
Search tags for this page
animations wallpapers
flashable boot logos qhd
logo thor
marvel animation logo
marvel boot animation
marvel comic boot animations
marvel comic logo

marvel comics logo

marvel logo
marvel logo gif