1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Custom Car Home

Discussion in 'App Announcements' started by BigFwoosh, May 5, 2010.

1. BigFwoosh

BigFwoosh New Member

Hey all, I just uploaded my new app, Custom Car Home, to the market. It's a replacement for the Car Home app. Features are:

• Android 2.0+ devices only
    • Up to 8 apps of your choosing on the screen
    • Auto-enable speakerphone and bluetooth (in settings)
    • Opens automatically when the phone is inserted in the car dock, just like Car Home
    • Should be compatible with the Nexus One and Droid Incredible, though I have only tested in the emulator
    Give it a shot if you're tired of Car Home. It's free, and I'll have a donate version up within the next day or so in case anyone wants to donate.

market://search?q=pname:com.bigfwoosh.customcarhome
  2. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Good idea man. Ill check it out later. On a pc now so obviously that link went nowhere...
  3. REMilk

REMilk New Member

I installed CCH. I like that you can choose in settings to independently and automatically turn on/off bluetooth and speakerphone. CCH is easy to use and with ease of maintenance for adding and removing app icons. The large icons are easy to see.

There are several improvements that I would like to see in future releases.
    1. The ability to easily move app icons around on the screen.
    2. Support for shortcuts and widgets, not just apps.
    3. A built-in app that can be used to invoke the navigation feature. Right now, you need to either install a 3rd-party app or have the Car Home app (which this replaces) as an icon.
    4. Support for multiple screens; This will not be my wish, but many others with want multiple screens and it will not matter how many, someone will always desire more than you provide.

Please understand I am not being critical. Having been in IT for 40 years, I appreciate the effort you have expended in the development of this app.

Thank you for your wonderful effort and idea.
  4. BigFwoosh

BigFwoosh New Member

Thanks very much for the feedback, REMilk. All of those features you mentioned have been floating around in my head as potentially being in a future release, especially shortcut and widget support and the ability to drag and drop apps.

I've been really grinding my gears on this app for the last couple of weeks (had no prior Android experience really), so after a short break I'm going to start working on more features.
  5. dahctor

dahctor New Member

I have two issues:
    One: Is it supposed to load when the Droid is in the Car Dock? Mine does not... If its not, then it works great, but I think that that would be awesome if it did.

Two: I agree on the widgets thing. Either build a couple of your own into it (Music, Maps/Traffic, and Weather would be the ones I think would be most useful), or allow it to load normal home Widgets.

One other really useful thing would be to be able to put folders or the favorites list on the care home.

Otherwise this is something I've been looking for for a LONG time. Great Job!
  6. REMilk

REMilk New Member

It starts as expected for me.

When I put it in the car dock, a selection screen appears that gives me the option to start CCH or the standard car dock.

Bob
  7. BigFwoosh

BigFwoosh New Member

It should definitely launch when you put the phone in the dock, just like the normal Car Home. Are you using the official dock from Motorola? As for widgets, I definitely want to add support for that in the not-too-distant future.
  8. BigFwoosh

BigFwoosh New Member

For anyone interested, v1.0.1 is on the Market. It has added support for Google Navigation. Works exactly like the button in Car Home.
  9. REMilk

REMilk New Member

With this latest version, Bluetooth does not shut off when you remove from the car cradle. It turns on automatically, but does not turn off automatically.
  10. BigFwoosh

BigFwoosh New Member

That's weird since I didn't change anything involving bluetooth settings in this build. Can you reproduce it? I tried to but it's working fine for me.
  11. BigFwoosh

BigFwoosh New Member

In case anyone is interested, v1.0.3 is out now.

• New icon by RJNavarrete
    • Shortcut support!
    • Auto-disable wifi preference
    • Slight performance gain when loading app list
    • Support for new Google Maps Navigation app
  12. Varking

Varking New Member

I will download this application shortly.
  13. BigFwoosh

BigFwoosh New Member

v1.0.5 is out. It includes a small bug fix from v1.0.4 and support for 480x320 devices. Droid Eris users, rejoice!
  14. Anj

Anj New Member

I just installed it (but haven't used it yet as I'm at work) and it seems to have potential. I currently use "Car Dock v2" by IG88 Apps and yours may very well be it's successor, depending on how it does on the way home. The ability to auto-enable speaker and bluetooth are HUGE. Just add support for widgets and it'll be golden (I personally don't care for more than one screen.)

Also, I saw a comment in the market about the Home button not pointing to the app when the phone's docked... not sure if that's valid or not (again, I'm at work :p).
  15. BigFwoosh

BigFwoosh New Member

Widgets are in the works. The Home button currently does not pull the app back up, and I know everybody hates that (myself included). I'm trying to figure out how to do that... there's got to be something easy that I'm overlooking. Home button override is next on the list, without a doubt.
  16. pjo1966

pjo1966 New Member

If you do a home button override, is there any way to put a small home shortcut somewhere on the screen like the original Car Home has? Sometimes I need to get to the desktop quickly while I'm stopped at a light. Other than that, Direct Dial shortcuts would be my number one request.

I've been using this for a couple of weeks and like it so much better than the stock app.
  17. BigFwoosh

BigFwoosh New Member

Thanks a lot, I'm glad you like it. Once I get the Home override figured out, I'll make sure there's a way to get back to your real home screen. Also, direct dial shortcuts (and all the other shortcuts) have been available since v1.0.3. You can long-press on an icon and select Set Shortcut, or if you have any empty slots on the screen you can hit Menu->Add Shortcut.
  18. pjo1966

pjo1966 New Member

Did not know that! Thanks!
  19. LT*

LT* New Member

Just downloaded and set this up. Great start as far as I can see. I'm only using 7 buttons. I love the wifi off/BT on options as I often forget to put BT on when I dock it. My BT stays on after I exit CCH. No big deal for now, but would love it if it would turn off when undocked. Great work so far.
  20. BigFwoosh

BigFwoosh New Member

How are you exiting the app? It should restore your original BT setting if you hit Menu->Quit, hit the Back button, or undock the phone. If it's not working that way, please let me know. I've seen a couple people say that BT doesn't turn back off but I've never gotten another response from them about it.
Search tags for this page
custom car android home screens

custom car app

good customize vehicle apps
touchwiz car home
undock