Custom alarm and notification tones and ringtones

phishesdied

Reaction score
Ive been troubleshooting since i got the phone 2 days ago and heres what i came up with...

-connect via USB to computer as mass storage

-then view files on computer

-then create a folder called "alarms"

-drag any mp3 file (maybe also .wav) into this folder.

whatever files you place in "alarms" folder will work on both setting custom tones for text messages etc, and alarm clock notifications in the built in tones list.

Also, you can create a "ringtones" folder in the same way as you created the "alarms" folder. once this is done, whatever files are in that folder will show up in the built in android ringtones list when setting a ringtone.

im guessing whatever files in my "alarms" folder will also work in the calender as well.

Last edited:

techRob

Reaction score
Do we Do this on the MicoSD card or on the phone Itself
the SDCard (microSD).

Here's the structure (roughly) that I created to have things organized on my card:

sdcard \ Media -> Audio ->
- alarms
- music
- notifications
- ringtones

Does that make sense? I created a Media folder on the SDCard, then an Audio subfolder, and then further subfolders... Inside the music folder i catergorized things further, naturally (but that's neither here nor there). This is one of the coolest things about the Droid, (or Android OS?) is that making said folders, it recognizes the purpose of them ;)

Now you don't need to make the media folder (i don't think), i'm just a litle OCD when it comes to organizing files at times. But if you want specific files to be utilized as alarms (such as all audio on the phone is turned off except for alarms), then you'll want said audio files inside the "alarms" folder. (trust me, setting a file that is located in the music or ringtones area will not work for that situation - quite a few Fridays have I overslept).

midnightphoenixo9

Reaction score
humm...

This information was interesting. i did create the folders and everything, (quite similarly) but the problem is the tone comes up in all the fields except for the notification menu. am i doing something wrong or should i hang my head and accept that i just will never have the text tone that i want. TT~TT

techRob

Reaction score
This information was interesting. i did create the folders and everything, (quite similarly) but the problem is the tone comes up in all the fields except for the notification menu. am i doing something wrong or should i hang my head and accept that i just will never have the text tone that i want. TT~TT
:biggrin: I had the same issue. ...i think...lol

What app do you use for texting? I'd recommend using Handcent - very customizable, all the way to a uniqe look / sound for each contact :D Plus it's a lot easier to set the notification audio to.

I'm assuming you've tried putting said audio in each folder to see if any of those make a difference. My setup, I'm guessing, is pretty different then yours. What exactly are you doing that doesn't seem to be working out? What application, menu option, etc... Hopefully we can get it straightened out :)

midnightphoenixo9

Reaction score
....i got it to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightphoenixo9

:biggrin: I had the same issue. ...i think...lol

What app do you use for texting? I'd recommend using Handcent - very customizable, all the way to a uniqe look / sound for each contact
:D Plus it's a lot easier to set the notification audio

I'm assuming you've tried putting said audio in each folder to see if any of those make a difference. My setup, I'm guessing, is pretty different then yours. What exactly are you doing that doesn't seem to be working out? What application, menu option, etc... Hopefully we can get it straightened out :)

The app i use is the basic messaging app that came on the phone. Your right about me putting the audio in each folder. I too am OCD about organizing things. i have every thing organized into into a Media file, and i changed it to the way that was posted here. just to be sure i placed a copy of the tone in all of the sound areas, in both m4a and mp3, alarms, ringtones, notifications. unmounted the phone and the tone appeared in all of the menus except for notifications. so i remounted it and moved the media folder from the phone to the SD card. and unmounted, it still didn't work so i went to notifications in the menu and renamed the folder so that it was the exact same (Notification) and then unmounted it. and i placed a copy in the over all folder. then it was there.
:) Thanks for your help.

techRob

Reaction score
Sounds like you figured it out on your own ;) But you're welcome! :D ;) I'm really glad you got it figured out :)

MrC1122

Reaction score
custom notifications/alarms/ringtones

Hello fellow droidians, while there are other ways of doing this, I have found this method to be the most effective, especially for notifications and alarms.

First you need to place the file you want in the root of your sdcard. (these should be in mp3 or ogg format) Once this is done, you need to use "root explorer" (available from market) and make sure you select "mount as r/w" (upper left corner just under the notification bar).

The target files are system/media/audio...you then have the option of selecting the destination folder - alarms, notifications, ringtones and ui.

Go to the root of your sdcard and long press on the file you just added. (a options window will pop up) select copy or move. (at the bottom you will see paste and cancel) DO NOT select either of these at this time.

Hit the back button and locate the "system" folder and click on it. Next click on the "media" folder, then the "audio" folder and select the final destination. (alarms, notifications, ringtones or ui) Select paste and you're done! ;-)

Last edited:
OP
P

phishesdied

Reaction score
how i have notifications....

i did the notifications folder as well, its actually what i did before making the alarms folder... but instead of having these folders in a folder titled "audio", theyre simply on the first folder you open to view files. worked for me and those tones can be used for text notifications, and the ones in alarms for the alarms clock etc.. and the ringtones for ringtones. you get the point im sure.

now, if someone could answer this for me.... is there any way i can set custom notification tones per contact??????? that would be rad. my old lg V could do that!

MrC1122

Reaction score
(phishesdied) go to contacts, choose one, hit menu button, select options, select ringtone, pick one from the list...you're done!

OP
P

phishesdied

Reaction score
blah

(phishesdied) go to contacts, choose one, hit menu button, select options, select ringtone, pick one from the list...you're done!

im talking custom notification tones, as in texts mms email for that contact.

crowfive

Reaction score
There's a free app that will do this for you: Tone Picker
works pretty good.

Reaction score
alright..

okay, so i got this phone yesterday. i love it sooo much. but the only problem im having, is i bought a couple new ringtones threw vcast.. and i have no idea how to set them as my notafication tone. any advice?

midnightphoenixo9

Reaction score
.... new problem, so i put the tone into the folders, and i change it on the phone but when i receive a text or a phone call the old ringtone plays.